What are my chances? 29 MCAT 3.61 GPA 3.44 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brutus1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT back and am ready to apply to MD programs. I have a 29 MCAT, 3.61 GPA and 3.44 science GPA. I started out with a bad GPA my freshman year and my grades have progressively been getting better ever since, so I'm on a pretty significant upward trend now. My AMCAS is already submitted and processed, so I am slightly ahead of the game from this perspective. Just wondering what my chances are of getting into ANY MD program as a Missouri resident. I am considering retaking my MCAT, but still on the fence about it.

My main EC's include
-Summer of Research (ongoing) - no publications; planning to continue into next year and get published
-About 250+ hours of hospital volunteering (ongoing) over the last three years and summers
-Leadership position in my fraternity
-lots of non-clinical volunteering I did while running and planning my fraternity's philanthropy event (which is a huge week long event) my sophomore and junior year (still doing it next year as well).
-probably about 30 hours or so of shadowing
-I'm also a big fitness junkie. I won a bike and running race a few years back and have run two half marathons last year as well.

I am applying to Mizzou, SLU, and various others of the lower tier private medical schools that accept lots of out of state students. I am just not sure where my grades and EC's stand and how competitive of an applicant I am. Let me know if you have any idea of where I stand.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Decent shot at Mizzou, especially KC campus. SLU will be so-so. Overall, your numbers are fairly average (average white applicant has a 29 and a high 3.5).

Generally you shouldn't retake a 29 unless you have reason to believe you can score higher (e.g. 6 practice tests above 31)

MSAR Online is your friend. Aim for low tier MD, all new MD (except Hofstra and Va Tech) and any DO school. The flagship, AT Still, is in your home state!

Just got my MCAT back and am ready to apply to MD programs. I have a 29 MCAT, 3.61 GPA and 3.44 science GPA. I started out with a bad GPA my freshman year and my grades have progressively been getting better ever since, so I'm on a pretty significant upward trend now. My AMCAS is already submitted and processed, so I am slightly ahead of the game from this perspective. Just wondering what my chances are of getting into ANY MD program as a Missouri resident. I am considering retaking my MCAT, but still on the fence about it.

My main EC's include
-Summer of Research (ongoing) - no publications; planning to continue into next year and get published
-About 250+ hours of hospital volunteering (ongoing) over the last three years and summers
-Leadership position in my fraternity
-lots of non-clinical volunteering I did while running and planning my fraternity's philanthropy event (which is a huge week long event) my sophomore and junior year (still doing it next year as well).
-probably about 30 hours or so of shadowing
-I'm also a big fitness junkie. I won a bike and running race a few years back and have run two half marathons last year as well.

I am applying to Mizzou, SLU, and various others of the lower tier private medical schools that accept lots of out of state students. I am just not sure where my grades and EC's stand and how competitive of an applicant I am. Let me know if you have any idea of where I stand.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot. After looking at what schools admit high amounts of out of state residents and which ones match with my MCAT and GPA I compiled the following list.
Albany
Wright State
SLU
Missouri
Creighton
Drexel
Easter Virginia
George Washington
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin
Rush Medical School
Temple
Virginia Commonwealth

Do any of these schools give me a solid chance of getting in and are there any others I should consider applying to?

dont quote me but i heard Eastern Virginia screens OOS applicants with MCAT below 30

Thanks a lot. After looking at what schools admit high amounts of out of state residents and which ones match with my MCAT and GPA I compiled the following list.
Albany
Wright State
SLU
Missouri
Creighton
Drexel
Easter Virginia
George Washington
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin
Rush Medical School
Temple
Virginia Commonwealth

Do any of these schools give me a solid chance of getting in and are there any others I should consider applying to?

I go to Mizzou now and am applying to the med school soon.. I know there is a better chance as a Missouri resident! Although I think you need a 3.5 in both categories to meet the requirements for 'automatic interview' as an in-stater. They're all about patient centered care (treating the whole patient and whatnot) so try to tie that in with personal Missourian experiences. Good luck!

dont quote me but i heard Eastern Virginia screens OOS applicants with MCAT below 30
I heard that too, but there have been a couple people in the school-specific thread with 29 mcat who have received a secondary.