DO What are my chances? 3.40 cGPA and 3.16 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saleemrodman1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is some relevant information

Academics

Major: Biochemistry
Resident: California
cGPA: 3.40
sGPA: 3.16
nsGPA: 3.72

Extra-Curriculars

Hospital Volunteer: 400 Hours
Disabled Care Volunteer: 200 Hours
Medical Brigade: Two Weeks
Volunteered at Orphanage abroad: One Month
Shadowed three Allopathic and two Osteopathic Physicians
Student Government
: Two Years
Violinist and Musician
Team Soccer Player
Psychology Club Member

MCAT

This beast has yet to be tamed, and I was scheduled to take it in two weeks, but I don't feel like I'm ready with my scores being a 125, 124, 126, 122 on the AAMC FL (497) and almost a 60% on EK tests. I am thinking about taking it in January instead, and applying next cycle...but I am not sure what a good MCAT score is for DO ONLY. Again, I only am planning on applying to Osteopathic schools. It would be nice to stay in my home state, but I am willing to go ANYWHERE in the US.

1. How high of an MCAT score do I need to be competitive?
2. How do my stats look in terms of GPA and extra-curriculars?
3. Is there any other way I can improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here is some relevant information

Academics

Major: Biochemistry
Resident: California
cGPA: 3.40
sGPA: 3.16
nsGPA: 3.72

Extra-Curriculars

Hospital Volunteer: 400 Hours
Disabled Care Volunteer: 200 Hours
Medical Brigade: Two Weeks
Volunteered at Orphanage abroad: One Month
Shadowed three Allopathic and two Osteopathic Physicians
Student Government
: Two Years
Violinist and Musician
Team Soccer Player
Psychology Club Member

MCAT

This beast has yet to be tamed, and I was scheduled to take it in two weeks, but I don't feel like I'm ready with my scores being a 125, 124, 126, 122 on the AAMC FL (497) and almost a 60% on EK tests. I am thinking about taking it in January instead, and applying next cycle...but I am not sure what a good MCAT score is for DO.
Honestly, kind of hard to say w/o your MCAT. You might wanna take some more undergrad classes or do a postbacc to raise your c/s GPAs since they're def low for MD and really pushing it for DO. While you take classes, you can also beef up your volunteering and nonclinical volunteering as well and shadowing etc etc.

I'd sit out 1-2 years and make sure I cover all that stuff above. Definitely do well on the mcat, study hard. With your AAMC FL scored, I'd say you have a lot of studying still left.

Don't lose hope man and don't get discouraged.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, kind of hard to say w/o your MCAT. You might wanna take some more undergrad classes or do a postbacc to raise your c/s GPAs since they're def low for MD and really pushing it for DO. While you take classes, you can also beef up your volunteering and nonclinical volunteering as well and shadowing etc etc.

I'd sit out 1-2 years and make sure I cover all that stuff above. Definitely do well on the mcat, study hard. With your AAMC FL scored, I'd say you have a lot of studying still left.

Don't lose hope man and don't get discouraged.

I am only applying DO, and it's still too low? Does it help that I am a Fijian/Pacific Islander? >.<

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely hold off until next cycle and take some classes to bring the low sGPA to a 3.25 or 3.3. Taking the MCAT while scoring 497 on the practice is a bad idea. You really shouldn't take the MCAT until you're ready or you're going to end up having to explain why you ended up sitting for the exam despite not being fully prepared and ended up needing a retake. If you do take it and have it scored, you won't receive your score until mid October. While the DO cycle is longer than MD, you want to apply as early as possible especially with a subpar GPA.

A 505+ will probably get you in somewhere, but obviously shoot for as high as possible. I don't think Fijian/Pacific Islander counts as URM, maybe @Goro knows?

Your GPA and EC's are fine for the majority of DO schools. However, do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500. If you score at least 500 you could apply next year and you would be competitive for many DO schools.

I am only applying DO, and it's still too low? Does it help that I am a Fijian/Pacific Islander? >.<
I'm not too familiar with DO, but I think you'd want sGPA over 3.3 to really be more competitive. I don't think the ethnicity status will help much