MD & DO What are my chances? 3.58cGPA, 3.52sGPA, 30 MCAT, DACA status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0reoLover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so before people call me lazy for not lurking the other people with stats similar to mine, let me explain my situation. I am a DACA (deferred action for childhood arrivals) student. Basically for schools that don't have a DACA option while applying I'm pretty much an international student. But I've gone to elementary school through college in NYC.

so my stats:

3.58 overall gpa
3.52 science gpa
GPA is low mostly due to orgo and bio lab classes.
Neurobio major.

My MCAT breakdown is a 9 PS- 10 VR- 11 BS. Not really happy with the score because I did below my AAMC averages (32-33) and so, I'm most likely retaking it in January if I can get a seat. Also it'll help me be a stronger international applicant.

As far as ECs go I think its also a pretty pedestrian app:

Work
I worked as an office assistant/receptionist freshman and sophomore year summers full-time. Before I got a job as an RA.

I was a Resident Assistant for 2 years. Junior and Senior year. Supposedly a 20 hour per week commitment but felt like a lot more LOL!

Volunteer/Research
I volunteered in a Sociology/behavioral sciences lab for a semester and did about 135 hours total. No publication, actually got fired due to a weird misunderstanding and didn't really fight for the job after.

I am currently volunteering in a psychology/psychiatric lab and been working there for a little more than a year and have about 600 hours there and about a 1/3 of the hours are clinical hours with subjects. No publications but hopefully I can get on one.

Volunteer/Clinical
Volunteered about 40 hours as Physical Therapy volunteer in a hospital. Basically shadowed a PT. All hours are clinical.

I also shadowed a doctor (MD) for about 40 hours over last summer. Also have a DO lined up to shadow soon.

Random ECs
I also played intramural basketball all 4 years of college.

I am also currently volunteering in my church's sunday school which is about 2 hours a week.

I also gave 4 sermons in my church over the last 4 years.

The only reason I'm talking about church a lot is due to the fact it is a big part of my life and the fact that the one DACA friendly school, Loyola, is a Jesuit institution and it might catch their eye.

So guys, what are my chances? Also should I retake the MCAT or just apply this cycle and next cycle with the 30?

Also DO or MD I really don't care. Also if you guys have any suggestions as to what schools to look into that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT:
Also I'm India, if you couldn't tell from my pic.
I'm also open to Post-baccs that have like guaranteed interviews or admissions like Touro-NY's master program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys so before people call me lazy for not lurking the other people with stats similar to mine, let me explain my situation. I am a DACA (deferred action for childhood arrivals) student. Basically for schools that don't have a DACA option while applying I'm pretty much an international student. But I've gone to elementary school through college in NYC.

so my stats:

3.58 overall gpa
3.52 science gpa
GPA is low mostly due to orgo and bio lab classes.
Neurobio major.

My MCAT breakdown is a 9 PS- 10 VR- 11 BS. Not really happy with the score because I did below my AAMC averages (32-33) and so, I'm most likely retaking it in January if I can get a seat. Also it'll help me be a stronger international applicant.

As far as ECs go I think its also a pretty pedestrian app:

Work
I worked as an office assistant/receptionist freshman and sophomore year summers full-time. Before I got a job as an RA.

I was a Resident Assistant for 2 years. Junior and Senior year. Supposedly a 20 hour per week commitment but felt like a lot more LOL!

Volunteer/Research
I volunteered in a Sociology/behavioral sciences lab for a semester and did about 135 hours total. No publication, actually got fired due to a weird misunderstanding and didn't really fight for the job after.

I am currently volunteering in a psychology/psychiatric lab and been working there for a little more than a year and have about 600 hours there and about a 1/3 of the hours are clinical hours with subjects. No publications but hopefully I can get on one.

Volunteer/Clinical
Volunteered about 40 hours as Physical Therapy volunteer in a hospital. Basically shadowed a PT. All hours are clinical.

I also shadowed a doctor (MD) for about 40 hours over last summer. Also have a DO lined up to shadow soon.

Random ECs
I also played intramural basketball all 4 years of college.

I am also currently volunteering in my church's sunday school which is about 2 hours a week.

I also gave 4 sermons in my church over the last 4 years.

The only reason I'm talking about church a lot is due to the fact it is a big part of my life and the fact that the one DACA friendly school, Loyola, is a Jesuit institution and it might catch their eye.

So guys, what are my chances? Also should I retake the MCAT or just apply this cycle and next cycle with the 30?

Also DO or MD I really don't care. Also if you guys have any suggestions as to what schools to look into that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT:
Also I'm India, if you couldn't tell from my pic.
I'm also open to Post-baccs that have like guaranteed interviews or admissions like Touro-NY's master program.
To maintain anonymity, I recommend changing your avatar.
AAMC has posted the smattering of schools that have responded to an inquiry re DACA applicants.
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/404292/data/daca.pdf

clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering seems limited. That combined with borderline stats is going to make your MD cycle a rough one. You are very competitive for DO schools though, apply to 5-10 of your choice.