What are my chances (~3.7, ~39, reapp)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatrickStarMDPHD

Who you calling pinhead?
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In this thread, I have slightly altered some stats and activities for privacy reasons:

Hi everyone! I am a previous applicant from the 2013-2014 cycle. I originally applied with ~3.7 BCPM and cumulative GPA's and a 33 MCAT. I originally applied with a very research focused app with minimal clinical experience, as well as a personal statement that came across as very academic medicine/research oriented (my biggest weaknesses in my application I'm told). I received 6 invites ranging from a couple of top 20 super reaches to unranked programs, although I surprisingly did not get II's from mid tier programs. Result: Nothing but waitlists and rejections.
Old EC's: Wonderful experiences in clinical and bench research all related to medicine, one national presentation, one publication. ~30 hours of shadowing, ~70 hours of hospital volunteering, plus a wide range of hobbies that I enjoyed pursuing that I will not list for privacy reasons.

Since then: I retook my MCAT for a 39. I have added close to 200 hours of primary care and general surgeon shadowing. I have also added >200 hours of ER volunteering. I am also taking an EMT course currently with goals to work as an EMT or ER tech later on. I am also pending a publication from research done the past year. I also took a lot of care into rewriting my activities section. Lastly, I revamped my personal statement into something much better that will appeal to both research focused schools and community oriented schools.

Unfortunately, I will be a reapplicant to many of the schools I applied to originally since I applied quite broadly. I plan on applying MD primarily as well as to DO schools located near major cities (Contrary to my username! haha).

Will you all be kind enough to chance me for this year?

Members don't see this ad.

ur chances are pretty good... pretty pretty good

Reactions: 1 user
I am just worried about schools that I will be listed as a reapplicant at, which is an awful lot of them. Here is my expected school list.
MD:
My state schools (which average 3.6, 31)
Albany
NYMC
TCMC
Penn State
Case Western + Cleveland Clinic
Rochester
All of the NYC schools (I love New York)
RFU
Uchicago
Northwestern
Ohio state
UCinicinatti
UCLA, UCSF (Unlikely, but I love Cali too)
Stanford
USC
Yale
Harvard
Emory
Pitt
All of the Philly schools, including Penn
Tufts
BU
Georgetown
GWU
WashU
Saint Louis University
I am also contemplating UMiami and the public florida schools (not a resident)

As for DO:
PCOM
Touro Vallejo
Touro Harlem
UMDNJ

Members don't see this ad :)
@gettheleadout is very pleased with your avatar, so that's a plus.

You have substantially improved your MCAT and clinical experiences so you will definitely have a better chance in succeeding this time around. As mentioned, you should definitely apply to the schools that waitlisted you. And avoid DO schools unless you really like osteopathic philosophy, since your stats and ECs are too strong

@gettheleadout is very pleased with your avatar, so that's a plus.

You have substantially improved your MCAT and clinical experiences so you will definitely have a better chance in succeeding this time around. As mentioned, you should definitely apply to the schools that waitlisted you. And avoid DO schools unless you really like osteopathic philosophy, since your stats and ECs are too strong

I will always upvote or like references to Patrick Star on the internet haha. My last application cycle was a real shocker since I overestimated my application's worth since I thought my great research and LORs would carry me all the way. I'm fine with DO schools, my main goal at the end of the day is to be a doctor, and I like that those schools are in/close to major cities. I want to apply as broadly as financially possible since I know someone with similar numbers to me who entered this past cycle with plenty of interviews is now going through the process of reapplying too (He blamed it on poor interviews in the beginning and also low clinical exposure).

I will always upvote or like references to Patrick Star on the internet haha. My last application cycle was a real shocker since I overestimated my application's worth since I thought my great research and LORs would carry me all the way. I'm fine with DO schools, my main goal at the end of the day is to be a doctor, and I like that those schools are in/close to major cities. I want to apply as broadly as financially possible since I know someone with similar numbers to me who entered this past cycle with plenty of interviews is now going through the process of reapplying too (He blamed it on poor interviews in the beginning and also low clinical exposure).

SpongeBob is always awesome. Still watching it 10x now in all seasons for several years now. Good stuff indeed.

The thing with DO schools and low-tier MD schools is that they are more likely to reject you because they fear you are using them as safeties for stronger top schools. I know thats not your intention but your strong stats and ECs kinda imply otherwise. This means you need to show your interest to these schools in your secondaries.

Your app is good for any school you wish to appl though

Would lower tier MD schools that I am a reapp at look at me differently though? I mean, I am not the traditional 3.7+ 39+ candidate who did everything right the first time. I applied, got rejected everywhere, and fixed those weaknesses in coming years. I am the kind of "high stat" applicant who would be happy to go anywhere. I don't feel like I have any true safeties.

Would lower tier MD schools that I am a reapp at look at me differently though? I mean, I am not the traditional 3.7+ 39+ candidate who did everything right the first time. I applied, got rejected everywhere, and fixed those weaknesses in coming years. I am the kind of "high stat" applicant who would be happy to go anywhere. I don't feel like I have any true safeties.

That's true but schools still need to know you're interested in them. Secondaries usually address that if you genuinely answer them but even then schools can be skeptical and sanction you.

Like what happened the first time around. You got invites from top tiers and few no-name schools but got shafted by the mid-tiers. You have the app of someone who wishes to pursue research and academic medicine in the future, something which matches perfectly with top schools mission but is a bit far off with others who focus on outreach and community service.

DO schools are primary care focused, and while DO physicians do become academic hotshots, it's not exactly the norm, so you're out of place for DO schools, if not too good for them even with your interest. Same for low tier MD schools

Thanks for your help! What do you think about the MD portion of my school list? I accidentally double posted this same thread in WAMC (I was unsure of where this thread belonged) if a Mod wants to delete or merge threads.

Thanks for your help! What do you think about the MD portion of my school list? I accidentally double posted this same thread in WAMC (I was unsure of where this thread belonged) if a Mod wants to delete or merge threads.

Get rid of TCMC, BU, Georgetown, GWU (too many apps, not exactly rockstar friendly), florida schools (low OOS) and you're good to go. @Goro can give more info. The mods will move your WAMC thread here.

Nothing wrong with aiming high!!!

I suggest:

Rochester
Uchicago
Northwestern
Ohio state
UCinicinatti
U VA
U WI
U Penn
U AZ
U VM
U CO
U IL (maybe)
Stanford
USC
Yale
Harvard
Emory
Pitt
Jefferson
BU
WashU
Saint Louis University OR MCW
UMiami
Emory
Duke
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Northwestern
Loyola
Tulane
Hofstra
Va tech

As for DO:
PCOM
Touro Vallejo
Touro Harlem
CCOM
KCUMB
Western

Nothing wrong with aiming high!!!

I suggest:

Rochester
Uchicago
Northwestern
Ohio state
UCinicinatti
U VA
U WI
U Penn
U AZ
U VM
U CO
U IL (maybe)
Stanford
USC
Yale
Harvard
Emory
Pitt
Jefferson
BU
WashU
Saint Louis University OR MCW
UMiami
Emory
Duke
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Northwestern
Loyola
Tulane
Hofstra
Va tech

As for DO:
PCOM
Touro Vallejo
Touro Harlem
CCOM
KCUMB
Western

Thank you! Truly appreciate it!

Add University of Michigan, they love OOS folks with strong research background.

Members don't see this ad :)
SpongeBob is always awesome. Still watching it 10x now in all seasons for several years now. Good stuff indeed.

The thing with DO schools and low-tier MD schools is that they are more likely to reject you because they fear you are using them as safeties for stronger top schools. I know thats not your intention but your strong stats and ECs kinda imply otherwise. This means you need to show your interest to these schools in your secondaries.

Your app is good for any school you wish to appl though

Just some stats: Last year DO schools got 279 applications from students ranging 35-40 on the MCAT. 88 of these students matriculated into a DO school. Only 1 applicant had a 40+ MCAT. I think OP is pretty much guaranteed an interview at any DO school they apply to early.
Source: http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014_Mat.pdf?sfvrsn=12

A 3.7/39 who got interviews at top 20 schools with a 3.7/33 should be fine. But I'll just add you have to think about this; why did you go 0/6 with interviews in terms of getting acceptances? If you look back I bet there's a decent chance it has to do with a so-so or mediocre interview and even if you have a 39 MCAT and more accomplishments now, you still have to go to those interviews. So I would definitely focus on how I can improve my interviews. Also, if you were told your personal statement was a big weakness, I would make damn sure that I got as many different types of people to read it with different perspectives. Because if the poor interview/essay that made you too academic sounding was a combination that killed you last time with good stats(and while we don't know that sounds like the best theory based off what you said), it can kill you again so doing everything possible to change that should be your focus, not racking up more shadowing/volunteering/research.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually, my original PS got complements at my reaches. The other schools however did not seem too crazy about it. I wrote a new, better personal statement that would appeal to the widest range of schools instead. About interviews: My first few did not go so hot, as I interviewed totally early in the season and came off as kind of immature. I did not get the hang of it until later on, and at that point, I only had a few waitlists (and one other waitlist where WL=rejection).

I don't know, but I felt like I was the kind of candidate who was good enough to get invited, but was probably being held back at committee meetings because of my low clinical and "bad fit" from research.

Reading this thread is reminiscent of my previous application cycles. Like the OP, I originally had good stats 3.9, 40, and interviewed at 6 top 25 programs. My personal statement was also research-oriented, as I aspire to be in academic medicine. Ultimately, I was rejected from all schools.

I spoke to someone who was previously on the Admissions Committee at a top tier school and was informed that I lacked clinical experience. How did I know exactly that I wanted to be a doctor without any shadowing experiences? Additionally, my science letters were not that strong since I never spoke to my professors and have graduated some time ago.

I did improve my clinical exposure this cycle through shadowing, but my letters remained rather weak except for the one written by my research advisor. I was offered 12 interviews from top 25 programs, as well as some from lower tiered schools. I am very fortunate to say that I was accepted at a few top schools and lower tiered schools and will matriculate at Pitt this year.

Back to the OP, I would say your chances are very good. Just be sure to polish your interview skills and I undoubtedly know you will rock it. Can PM for more details.

Reactions: 2 users
This is totally unrelated but I had to post this because of OP's picture:

Reading this thread is reminiscent of my previous application cycles. Like the OP, I originally had good stats 3.9, 40, and interviewed at 6 top 25 programs. My personal statement was also research-oriented, as I aspire to be in academic medicine. Ultimately, I was rejected from all schools.

I spoke to someone who was previously on the Admissions Committee at a top tier school and was informed that I lacked clinical experience. How did I know exactly that I wanted to be a doctor without any shadowing experiences? Additionally, my science letters were not that strong since I never spoke to my professors and have graduated some time ago.

I did improve my clinical exposure this cycle through shadowing, but my letters remained rather weak except for the one written by my research advisor. I was offered 12 interviews from top 25 programs, as well as some from lower tiered schools. I am very fortunate to say that I was accepted at a few top schools and lower tiered schools and will matriculate at Pitt this year.

Back to the OP, I would say your chances are very good. Just be sure to polish your interview skills and I undoubtedly know you will rock it. Can PM for more details.

Born and raised in the burgh your making a great choice

Hi, I am unable to message you! Could you PM? I am just curious about going through with my reapplication since we come from similar backgrounds.

This is totally unrelated but I had to post this because of OP's picture:

I would love to go to an interview where the interviewer addresses me by my name, and I respond "No, this is Patrick."

Last edited:
I would love to go to an interview where the interviewer addresses me by my name, and I respond "No, this is Patrick."

LOL

My favorite episode is the one with the band. Priceless.

ALSO 100 POSTS WOOHOOO

Hi everyone,

I just got verified. I am still updating my school list. I forgot to mention that I only have ~40 hours of homeless outreach volunteering (still trying to get more hours whenever work allows) for my non-clinical volunteering component. Would it be worth applying to the Jesuit medical schools and other service oriented places like Tulane if that is my only non-clinical volunteering experience beyond my extensive experience in hospital volunteering?

Last edited:
I think you could add some mid tier public schools as well. I don't have the numbers from MSAR, but UIowa might not be a bad place to apply to. They accept ~50 students OOS. Might want to look into some other schools of similar caliber.

Honestly, I think with your numbers and a well rounded application (which it sounds like you are working on this) you have a chance at almost any school you apply to. Obviously the application process is totally random, but I think you can aim high and hope for the best.

Last edited:
I think you could add some mid tier public schools as well. I don't have the numbers from MSAR, but UIowa might not be a bad place to apply to. They accept ~50 students OOS. Might want to look into some other schools of similar caliber.

Honestly, I think with your numbers and a well rounded application (which it sounds like you are working on this) you have a chance at almost any school you apply to. Obviously the application process is totally random, but I think you can aim high and hope for the best.

I added Ohio state, Iowa, and Cincinnati for that very reason! I am also considering UNC if I find out they are relatively OOS friendly.