What are my chances? 3.74/34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thakurabhi16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I am applying to MD schools this cycle for a regular MD program and I'm feeling a bit ehh about my stats (maybe it's the wait for II that's getting to me!!). I would love some opinions and feedback.

Major: Biology
GPA Cum: 3.74
GPA Sci: 3.7
GPA AO: 3.8
MCAT: 34 (9V,13P,12B) (Took it twice. First was a 25)

-Chemistry tutor at college for about 3 years
-Online tutor for about a year
-Taught a general chemistry class alongside professor.

-President of Nepali Culture club in my school (was secretary and event coordinator in past years)

-researched 2 semester in chemistry
-volunteered at hospital past summer
-shadowed one doctor for a winter break

My thoughts-
Strengths: I feel my only strength is the amount of time and effort I put into teaching. Much of my amcas and secondaries were about my teaching experiences and what they taught me about others, diversity, skills, even medicine.
My MCAT went from a 25 to 34. Maybe that's a good thing but the 25 still looks scary. Haha.
Weaknesses: I feel my biggest weakness is my lack of volunteer work. I've only volunteered this summer for a few months and though I enjoyed it and learned a lot, it's nothing compared to the 300 hrs of the typical applicant. Same goes with my 2 semesters of research (have you seen the other applicants on this site? Intimidating!!!).

Any feedback (destructive/constructive criticism) would be awesome! I'm not the best applicant but I just wanna know that I'm a worthy applicant to med schools. Am I wasting my time/money with my application? Should I try next year?

Thank you guys so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to be late for this cycle. However your stats are good. I think if you are from Nepal you may be considered over-represented. Apply now and do more EC's while you're waiting. Make sure to do some shadowing too

Hey guys!

So I am applying to MD schools this cycle for a regular MD program and I'm feeling a bit ehh about my stats (maybe it's the wait for II that's getting to me!!). I would love some opinions and feedback.

Major: Biology
GPA Cum: 3.74
GPA Sci: 3.7
GPA AO: 3.8
MCAT: 34 (9V,13P,12B) (Took it twice. First was a 25)

-Chemistry tutor at college for about 3 years
-Online tutor for about a year
-Taught a general chemistry class alongside professor.

-President of Nepali Culture club in my school (was secretary and event coordinator in past years)

-researched 2 semester in chemistry
-volunteered at hospital past summer
-shadowed one doctor for a winter break

My thoughts-
Strengths: I feel my only strength is the amount of time and effort I put into teaching. Much of my amcas and secondaries were about my teaching experiences and what they taught me about others, diversity, skills, even medicine.
My MCAT went from a 25 to 34. Maybe that's a good thing but the 25 still looks scary. Haha.
Weaknesses: I feel my biggest weakness is my lack of volunteer work. I've only volunteered this summer for a few months and though I enjoyed it and learned a lot, it's nothing compared to the 300 hrs of the typical applicant. Same goes with my 2 semesters of research (have you seen the other applicants on this site? Intimidating!!!).

Any feedback (destructive/constructive criticism) would be awesome! I'm not the best applicant but I just wanna know that I'm a worthy applicant to med schools. Am I wasting my time/money with my application? Should I try next year?

Thank you guys so much!
Less than one summer of patient interaction experience at the time of your application's submission will look sparse and last-minute. And, how many hours of physician shadowing were included on your list of activities? Against the possibility of a second application cycle, and for the sake of Secondary essays, update letters, and (if you're lucky) interview conversations, I'd highly recommend starting some weekly clinical experience through a job or volunteerism through the academic year, and be sure you have a grand total of least 40 hours of physician shadowing (including an office-based primary care doc if you can manage it). Giving 1-2 hours per week of non-medical service to those in need would also help your application.

You really did great on the MCAT retake though. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to be late for this cycle. However your stats are good. I think if you are from Nepal you may be considered over-represented. Apply now and do more EC's while you're waiting. Make sure to do some shadowing too

Thanks for the feedback! I actually already applied (primary and secondaries all in). My application was considered complete around July 15 (that's when my MCAT score arrived). Hopefully UCONN as IS wills how me some love!

Thanks for the feedback! I actually already applied (primary and secondaries all in). My application was considered complete around July 15 (that's when my MCAT score arrived). Hopefully UCONN as IS wills how me some love!
Oh okay. You are more than alright then. Definitely do some shadowing and try to get some clinical experience between now and when you get an interview. They WILL ask you about your clinical experience and if you have none it tends to look really bad. Where have you applied?

Oh okay. You are more than alright then. Definitely do some shadowing and try to get some clinical experience between now and when you get an interview. They WILL ask you about your clinical experience and if you have none it tends to look really bad. Where have you applied?

UCONN, Quinnipiac, MCW, Drexel (they haven't sent secondaries yet), Jefferson, Brown, Dartmouth, UIC, Rosalind Franklin.
Is it still worth it (still time) to apply to a couple more schools?

UCONN, Quinnipiac, MCW, Drexel (they haven't sent secondaries yet), Jefferson, Brown, Dartmouth, UIC, Rosalind Franklin.
Is it still worth it (still time) to apply to a couple more schools?
I think you will be fine for schools like rosy and drexel. I would definitely add more to your list