What are my chances 32L MCAT 3.78 cGPA and 3.83 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefullNonTrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances?

I just finished submitting secondaries, so I'm definitely late in the cycle.

I'm a non-traditional applicant with a 3.76 undergrad gpa (Majored in Computer Science and Applied Math at a top 100 university) and a 3.91 post-bacc gpa. My MCAT score is 9 VR/ 11 PH/ 12 BS/ L writing. NY resident.
AMCAS GPA 3.78 sGPA 3.83

EC:

NO research.

40 HR volunteering in the emergency room for over 3 months and ongoing.

2 years of work experience as a Professional Software Engineer at a fortune100 company.

Graduated Magna Cum Laude, and Deans List every semester from my second semester onward.

Throughout college (full load every semester) I worked full time as a Direct Care Professional in a group home for developmentally disabled adults where I got a lot of clinical experience.

I started college at age 23 after getting my GED.

Any feedback appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are my chances?

I just finished submitting secondaries, so I'm definitely late in the cycle.

I'm a non-traditional applicant with a 3.76 undergrad gpa (Majored in Computer Science and Applied Math at a top 100 university) and a 3.91 post-bacc gpa. My MCAT score is 9 VR/ 11 PH/ 12 BS/ L writing. NY resident.
AMCAS GPA 3.78 sGPA 3.83

EC:

NO research.

40 HR volunteering in the emergency room for over 3 months and ongoing.

2 years of work experience as a Professional Software Engineer at a fortune100 company.

Graduated Magna Cum Laude, and Deans List every semester from my second semester onward.

Throughout college (full load every semester) I worked full time as a Direct Care Professional in a group home for developmentally disabled adults where I got a lot of clinical experience.

I started college at age 23 after getting my GED.

Any feedback appreciated!

You're not super-late, so you might get some interviews. At this point since you already submitted your secondaries, it's difficult to chance you simply. In the event you aren't getting interview by December, you need to think of some things you can do to strengthen your application for the next time you apply. Obviously you'll want to apply earlier, but it might help to add some more shadowing just so you can say you strengthened your application

You're not super-late, so you might get some interviews. At this point since you already submitted your secondaries, it's difficult to chance you simply. In the event you aren't getting interview by December, you need to think of some things you can do to strengthen your application for the next time you apply. Obviously you'll want to apply earlier, but it might help to add some more shadowing just so you can say you strengthened your application
It wouldn't hurt to improve your application starting now, for the sake of update letters (wherever they are accepted) and interview conversations.

I'd hope you'll continue the clinical volunteering as it broadens your already terrific experience (which compensates for the lack of research), and maybe add some non-medical community service for a cause you care about (for 2+ hours per week, on average).

I don't see physician shadowing mentioned and most schools expect that. Aim for 50 hours across a few specialties, including primary care. Try to get this ASAP.

Teaching and leadership also benefit an application, as do hobbies and artistic endeavors that you list.

Your stats are all above the matriculant average for MD schools, so I have no concern about your numbers. But your ECs need work and it's not too late for your efforts to make a difference. If worse comes to worst and you don't get accepted this cycle, you'll be much stronger in the next round.