What are my chances?? and can I update my DAT score after I retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tall9764

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just finished my applications, and I'm applying to 8 dental schools.

Howard, Tufts, UT Memphis, U of Louisville, Creighton, Temple, Meharry, NYU

I graduated from UT Knoxville with BCMB major and I'm a TN resident.

My GPA = 3.47
Science GPA is around 3.4? I think

DAT scores
AA= 18
PA= 20
QR= 19
RC= 21
Biology= 16
GC= 17
OC= 17
TS= 17

I have leadership experience and 200hrs shadowing experience

What are my chances with this spec?

I know my science scores are pretty low and I'm planning to retake DAT on August. If I update my DAT scores on September, will it be too late or will committees still consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I just finished my applications, and I'm applying to 8 dental schools.

Howard, Tufts, UT Memphis, U of Louisville, Creighton, Temple, Meharry, NYU

I graduated from UT Knoxville with BCMB major and I'm a TN resident.

My GPA = 3.47
Science GPA is around 3.4? I think

DAT scores
AA= 18
PA= 20
QR= 19
RC= 21
Biology= 16
GC= 17
OC= 17
TS= 17

I have leadership experience and 200hrs shadowing experience

What are my chances with this spec?

I know my science scores are pretty low and I'm planning to retake DAT on August. If I update my DAT scores on September, will it be too late or will committees still consider?

Are you an under-represented minority?

If not, you chances are between slim and none. Sorry to sound harsh.

You have average GPA marks, but poor DAT scores (particularly in the sciences; everything else is good!). I really would consider taking the DAT again to give yourself the best chance at admission.

I think that's a little harsh. Your DAT might be a little on the low end but each and every dental school is looking for something different. There are people in my class that were in that range but had something else the school wanted. Perhaps leadership, or community service.

I had an 18 on my DAT with a 3.65 GPA and a 3.9 Science GPA and I got in on the first round of acceptances.
I would consider retaking the DAT if you have time to give you an edge otherwise if you don't get in do it again for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you're African American since you're applying to Howard.

...enjoy dental school

Are you an under-represented minority?

If not, you chances are between slim and none. Sorry to sound harsh.

You have average GPA marks, but poor DAT scores (particularly in the sciences; everything else is good!). I really would consider taking the DAT again to give yourself the best chance at admission.

Seriously,

This is the reason I sometimes have a problem with SDN.... Yes, most schools prefer students to have AA greater than 18, but the truth is that most schools AVERAGE AA of 18. Several of my classmates got into their first choice dental school with AA between 16-19. YEP, 16! Doubt they lied to impress me with that score. None of them were minorities and they all had between 3.6-3.8 GPA's and they didn't go to Howard or Meharry.....

Contrary to pretty much everyone on this site, there is more to getting into dental school than just a high DAT score. You rarely see people post their 15-18 DAT scores because what's the point... everyone is going to get on and bash them and ultimately discourage them from applying.

Tall9764: I think you should worry more about what the dental schools have to say than your "competition" on SDN. Dr. Brown at UT is a really nice guy and would be happy to speak to you if you called. He will tell you that statistics change from year to year and you just have to apply to see. If this is your dream and you cannot see yourself doing anything else for the rest of your life, put yourself out there and let the rest of your application shine. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously,

This is the reason I sometimes have a problem with SDN.... Yes, most schools prefer students to have AA greater than 18, but the truth is that most schools AVERAGE AA of 18. Several of my classmates got into their first choice dental school with AA between 16-19. YEP, 16! Doubt they lied to impress me with that score. None of them were minorities and they all had between 3.6-3.8 GPA's and they didn't go to Howard or Meharry.....

Contrary to pretty much everyone on this site, there is more to getting into dental school than just a high DAT score. You rarely see people post their 15-18 DAT scores because what's the point... everyone is going to get on and bash them and ultimately discourage them from applying.

Tall9764: I think you should worry more about what the dental schools have to say than your "competition" on SDN. Dr. Brown at UT is a really nice guy and would be happy to speak to you if you called. He will tell you that statistics change from year to year and you just have to apply to see. If this is your dream and you cannot see yourself doing anything else for the rest of your life, put yourself out there and let the rest of your application shine. Good Luck!

Out of curiosity, what schools did they get into? :D

Out of curiosity, what schools did they get into? :D

I'm applying for the first time this cycle.

I just get tired of reading all of the negativity on this site. I have found SDN to be incredibly helpful in some areas, but I honestly get tired of getting on here and seeing people get bashed for having an AA less than 20. I just want people to know the facts... dental schools DO take people with AA's lower than that every cycle!

Seriously,

You have to keep in mind the OP's GPA is 3.47, this is considerably below your friends GPAs who had AAs of 16.

Being realistic, getting past the first hurtle is a numbers game. I've heard of schools that set their cutoffs for DAT scores at 17. Telling the OP that he has a chance is plausible but rather far fetched; in the most realistic perspective he has already been disqualified from schools that maintain a strict DAT cutoff of 17.

It is possible for the OP to resurrect his situation (his low-ish sGPA, and low DAT), and the way to solve this is either by raising the science DAT scores, or taking additional science classes. Personally, I do not think a "slightly below average sGPA" and a low Science DAT score will bode well for this candidate.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but realistic. There is no point giving false hope. I believe there's more merit in giving advice to help build a stronger more competitive applicant, and to have reasonable expectations.

If there is anything that I agree with you upon regarding this topic and the OP's situation is there is a chance of the OP receiving an interview and acceptance, but this chance is markedly small.

To the OP, don't give up! There are other applicants in far more discouraging situations. The DAT score is the only thing that will hold you back! Retake it! :)

I'm applying for the first time this cycle.

I just get tired of reading all of the negativity on this site. I have found SDN to be incredibly helpful in some areas, but I honestly get tired of getting on here and seeing people get bashed for having an AA less than 20. I just want people to know the facts... dental schools DO take people with AA's lower than that every cycle!

I completely agree w/ you. I just wanna know which schools they got into w/ a 16 AA...b/c I wanna apply there.:laugh:

Smiley25, I cannot even begin to tell you how nice it is to find someone else who finally feels the same way as me. I have a sick addiction to this site. I hate how pretentious some people are but I love the wealth of experiences and knowledge you can get, so I always keep coming back! I almost cried when I posted my DAT results. Some said, don't apply, some said that my chances are slim to get in, and a few were encouraging.

To OP, if you want it enough, you'll get it. Who cares if I'm filling you with false hope. I think that your scores are just like mine... AVERAGE! And having scores that are "average" doesn't mean you wont get in. You'll just have to try harder than the people that do really well on their DAT and have stellar GPA. Who knows, maybe those people are socially awkward book worms that will crash and burn in their interviews... we can only hope at least ;)

Smiley25, I cannot even begin to tell you how nice it is to find someone else who finally feels the same way as me. I have a sick addiction to this site. I hate how pretentious some people are but I love the wealth of experiences and knowledge you can get, so I always keep coming back! I almost cried when I posted my DAT results. Some said, don't apply, some said that my chances are slim to get in, and a few were encouraging.

To OP, if you want it enough, you'll get it. Who cares if I'm filling you with false hope. I think that your scores are just like mine... AVERAGE! And having scores that are "average" doesn't mean you wont get in. You'll just have to try harder than the people that do really well on their DAT and have stellar GPA. Who knows, maybe those people are socially awkward book worms that will crash and burn in their interviews... we can only hope at least ;)

:) Very encouraging, as I have average stats too! But, I want this soooo much. My experiences have solidified my desire to become a dentist! What were your DAT scores, if you don't mind my asking? Mine are 19AA, 19TS, 21PAT.

Well you sure did better then me haha: 18AA/18TS/17PAT. But I feel besides that, my chances of getting an interview somewhere are decent and if I can get one, I am confident that it can only help me. Hooray for good communication SKILLZ!! :D

I'm hoping a 19AA/20TS/20 PAT will get me in somewhere! :D