what are my chances and where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsshin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I graduated from UCI and I have 3.3 GPA and 3.3 sGPA.
I didnt take DAT yet, but I think I could make like 21-22 TS and AA. I did bad during my first year of college, but got almost all As after.
I took a lot of recommended upper division science courses such as anatomy, virology, physiology, microbiology, cell bio, embryology, biochem and etc, and got almost all As. I did about one year of research and shadowed dentist 130 hrs. I have all my LORs ready to go. I am a minority (asian) and going to apply this june. with these scores, where should I apply? I am from Cali and want to apply to at least 15 schools. Help!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt take DAT yet, but I think I could make like 21-22 TS and AA. I did bad during my first year of college, but got almost all As after.
I took a lot of recommended upper division science courses such as anatomy, virology, physiology, microbiology, cell bio, embryology, biochem and etc, and got almost all As. I did about one year of research and shadowed dentist 130 hrs. I have all my LORs ready to go. I am a minority (asian) and going to apply this june. with these scores, where should I apply? I am from Cali and want to apply to at least 15 schools. Help!!!!!!

Dude, sorry to spoil the party, but asians are not considered as minority in the health professions. Actually, asians are overrepresented comparing to the national ratio-base.

With all due respect, I think it is quite rational to speculate after you take the DAT.

Check this link out, it is a good indicator.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602109

to begin, you are NOT a minority, especially in california. if you want to apply in june you should be taking the DAT asap. your chances are good with a 20+ DAT, and you should research dental schools to decide where to apply, bc nobody on here can blindly recommend where you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
At first I graduated from UCI (anteater fellow) and I want to remind you one thing.ASIANS ARE NOT MINORITY, PROBABLY MAJORITY. Try to do well on DAT. Especially both chemistry sections since some many insanely high scores appearing. Apply as many as schools you can. Good luck with your application.

3.3 GPA
21-22 DAT (easier said than done buddy lol)
California resident
Asian
15 schools

Here's the list I came up with based on this :)

UoP
USC
Western
UNLV
ASDOH
Columbia
Michigan
Indiana
Case
Maryland
VCU
Temple
Tufts
NYU
BU

...and add UCSF if you're feeling lucky ;)

I took a lot of recommended upper division science courses such as anatomy, virology, physiology, microbiology, cell bio, embryology, biochem and etc, and got almost all As. I did about one year of research and shadowed dentist 130 hrs. I have all my LORs ready to go. I am a minority (asian) :laugh: and going to apply this june. with these scores, where should I apply? I am from Cali and want to apply to at least 15 schools. Help!!!!!!

Come talk after you like etch that into reality.

Come talk after you like etch that into reality.
With you on that Reo. I think there are two main reasons a lot of people think 20s are a sinch. One is that most of those who post their numbers are in the 20s (though this is not representative of the national pool of applicants). Another sort of think that 20 out of 30 wouldn't be that hard, whether they know how the scoring scale works is a different story.

Not here to discourage, just want you to know that its easier said than done. With that said wish you the best of luck, hope you get that score.

3.3 GPA
21-22 DAT (easier said than done buddy lol)
California resident
Asian
15 schools

Here's the list I came up with based on this :)

UoP
USC
Western
UNLV
ASDOH
Columbia
Michigan
Indiana
Case
Maryland
VCU
Temple
Tufts
NYU
BU

...and add UCSF if you're feeling lucky ;)

I had similar stats like yours going into the application cycle, and I am attending UCSF this fall. The thing I would strongly recommend is that you have some dental experience that separates you from other applicants. This seem to boost my application and get me an interview. I also had an increasing academic tread since after my sophomore year, earning nothing less than a 3.7 since then. So anything is possible.

Also, I would probably remove Columbia from the above list because they look primarily at GPA initially. If you want more out of state, I would add Nova since they gave me an interview invite and I'm from cali.