what are my chances and where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tetra25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am interested in applying to medical school and wondering where to apply. I am somewhat of a non-traditional student. I did my undergraduate in communications at Howard University but did my science classes later at another university. I am wondering what are my chances and where should I apply. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

STATS
-Virginia Resident
-African American Woman, age 28
-BA Communications at Howard University
-GPA: 3.83, SGPA:4.0
-2016 MCAT: 515 (94%)
  • chem/psy: 129 (93%)
  • cars: 129 (95th %)
  • bio: 130 (97th %)
  • psy: 127 (78th %)
-Did a research internship at a local hospital
-Volunteer weekly at a hospital for four hours for the last 3 months and will continue for the next year, also did some volunteering the Red Cross. About to start another volunteer opportunity at a free clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

IO would say aim for some Iviesd and top 30 to top 20. I still feel you need more stuff on your resume though. You only have clinical expertise, but of your commitment to your community? you could also try to get back to work with your research to show commitment also....

Since you need to apply soon pick up some non-clinical community work (Tulane comes to mind) and commit to it for this year. Also I assume you work too? If youc annot manage the extra commitment it isn't the end. Hats off on the MCAT

I wouldn't recommend Texan schools simply becaue they're too friendly to Texans. As a non-Texan applicant of TMDSAS, I believe the Texan schools that will match your stats would be UT-Houston (aka McGovern), UT-Southwestern, and UT's Medical Branch at Galveston

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM would you say I have made areasonable list?

a template of what I would suggest to you.

High match/reach:
Hah-vahd
Stanford
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Mt. Sinai (Iccahn)
UCLA (Geffen)/UCSF
Washington University at St. Louis
Pritzker

strong Match:
Emory
UVa
Vanderbilt
Weill Cornell
Case Western/Lerner CoM
U Mich
U miami (Miller's SoM)
Rochester
Keck SoM/Baylor SoM

Back up/Last resort:
HBCUs especially Howard as its alumnus
VCU/EVMS because they're your local state school. UVa is a Public Ivy; hence, that is why it is higher on my list
Philly triplets
St. Louis university
Boston/Tufts
Tulane
Wake Forest
Hofstra/SUNY Downstate/Buffalo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone!

I am interested in applying to medical school and wondering where to apply. I am somewhat of a non-traditional student. I did my undergraduate in communications at Howard University but did my science classes later at another university. I am wondering what are my chances and where should I apply. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

STATS
-Virginia Resident
-African American Woman, age 28
-BA Communications at Howard University
-GPA: 3.83, SGPA:4.0
-2016 MCAT: 515 (94%)
  • chem/psy: 129 (93%)
  • cars: 129 (95th %)
  • bio: 130 (97th %)
  • psy: 127 (78th %)
-Did a research internship at a local hospital
-Volunteer weekly at a hospital for four hours for the last 3 months and will continue for the next year, also did some volunteering the Red Cross. About to start another volunteer opportunity at a free clinic.
I say go for it! Good stats! You can do it!

AJW
www.antoniowebbmd.com