What are my chances? (Any advise helps!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justdoit90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian applicant (International) who did not get any interviews this cycle. I did apply a bit late (end of September).
My stats are following:

sGPA: 3.08
OGPA: 3.17
cDAT: 20AA

I do have an undergrad publication with Journal of Evolution and Development, have 500+ shadowing with general dentists, OMS dentist, and orthodontist. I also had some leadership roles in undergrad. I am planning to retake the American DAT, which will hopefully increase my chances. I did consider doing masters and applied to couple of them, but if I do not get accepted to any of them, do I still have chances at some schools?

Anything helps!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Canadian applicant (International) who did not get any interviews this cycle. I did apply a bit late (end of September).
My stats are following:

sGPA: 3.08
OGPA: 3.17
cDAT: 20AA

I do have an undergrad publication with Journal of Evolution and Development, have 500+ shadowing with general dentists, OMS dentist, and orthodontist. I also had some leadership roles in undergrad. I am planning to retake the American DAT, which will hopefully increase my chances. I did consider doing masters and applied to couple of them, but if I do not get accepted to any of them, do I still have chances at some schools?

Anything helps!
Your gpa is low. Get it up. Master's, SMP, or informal post-bacc.

Your chances are negligible at this current point.

Members don't see this ad :)
ICUrunning is right, if you apply with these stats you have a small chance. But things like this shouldn't be left to chance, increase your GPA(a year of 4.0 with lots of upper level biology classes).

ICUrunning is right, if you apply with these stats you have a small chance. But things like this shouldn't be left to chance, increase your GPA(a year of 4.0 with lots of upper level biology classes).
I already graduated and had an year off. If i do well on the DAT, can it compensate for the low gpa?

Whats smp?
It stands for special masters program. It's geared towards those in pre-health who have less than desirable grades or those who need to take the necessary prereqs for professional schools.

Barry U is one such example.
https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/

Many other schools offer them such as Rutgers, Midwestern, VCU, and Georgetown.

I already graduated and had an year off. If i do well on the DAT, can it compensate for the low gpa?
GPA is the most important factor. You might have to do both, get a super high DAT score and get a full year of 4.0 GPA with upper level bio classes.

With your current stats you'd probably need a 22+. Even then, it may not compensate for your GPA completely. GPA is looked highly upon since it is an accumulation of coursework over the span of a number of years. The DAT is a one-time standardized exam to differentiate between applicants.

Chances aren't looking great. With that GPA, and since you're an international student, you would have to blow your DAT out of the park to warrant some consideration (23AA+).

With your current stats you'd probably need a 22+. Even then, it may not compensate for your GPA completely. GPA is looked highly upon since it is an accumulation of coursework over the span of a number of years. The DAT is a one-time standardized exam to differentiate between applicants.
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated

Chances aren't looking great. With that GPA, and since you're an international student, you would have to blow your DAT out of the park to warrant some consideration (23AA+).
Hopefully... I get something like that.