What are my chances as a Reapplicant? (Fall 2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackSwanson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I graduated college in 2009 and I am planning on reapplying to medical school this upcoming cycle for the entering class of Fall 2012. The first time I applied was for the entering class of 2010 and unfortunately I was ill prepared and submitted my AMCAS very late. Needless to say, I was rejected from every school. I have taken the time since then to do as much as I can to strengthen myself as an applicant, yet, I am still concerned that my chances for success are low. :(

Here are my stats:

MCAT:
Overall 31N
VR 11
PS 10
BS 10

GPA:
Cumulative 3.42
Science 3.27

EC:
Included in first application:
Volunteered in local hospital ER
Worked as a soccer instructor at Summer Camp
Research Assistant as an undergrad student (biophysics)
Was active in a handful of organizations at my undergrad... On the board of one: Foundation for the International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC)
Attended a FIMRC Medical Relief Trip to Nicaragua
Certified EMT-B with over one year experience
Additional since first application:
I began researching at the National Institutes of Health as an IRTA Fellow as part of a genetics lab in March 2010. Recently asked to extend for a second year (currently have a publication pending). In addition to work and research related activities (conferences, seminars, etc.), I have taken 2 biology courses at the University of Maryland and received A's in both (however this barely helped my GPA). My MCAT score listed above are the result of my second attempt (improved 2 points in each section).

I am prepared to submit my application as soon as AMCAS opens, I am really hoping that I will be able to get into a U.S. Medical School this time around. :xf:

If you have any advice or comments I would really appreciate your input.

Sincere thanks,

Jack

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

I graduated college in 2009 and I am planning on reapplying to medical school this upcoming cycle for the entering class of Fall 2012. The first time I applied was for the entering class of 2010 and unfortunately I was ill prepared and submitted my AMCAS very late. Needless to say, I was rejected from every school. I have taken the time since then to do as much as I can to strengthen myself as an applicant, yet, I am still concerned that my chances for success are low. :(

Here are my stats:

MCAT:
Overall 31N
VR 11
PS 10
BS 10

GPA:
Cumulative 3.42
Science 3.27

EC:
Included in first application:
Volunteered in local hospital ER
Worked as a soccer instructor at Summer Camp
Research Assistant as an undergrad student (biophysics)
Was active in a handful of organizations at my undergrad... On the board of one: Foundation for the International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC)
Attended a FIMRC Medical Relief Trip to Nicaragua
Certified EMT-B with over one year experience
Additional since first application:
I began researching at the National Institutes of Health as an IRTA Fellow as part of a genetics lab in March 2010. Recently asked to extend for a second year (currently have a publication pending). In addition to work and research related activities (conferences, seminars, etc.), I have taken 2 biology courses at the University of Maryland and received A's in both (however this barely helped my GPA). My MCAT score listed above are the result of my second attempt (improved 2 points in each section).

I am prepared to submit my application as soon as AMCAS opens, I am really hoping that I will be able to get into a U.S. Medical School this time around. :xf:

If you have any advice or comments I would really appreciate your input.

Sincere thanks,

Jack
Extrapolating from AAMC data, past applicants with your stats had about a 36% chance of success. It would improve your chances were you to consider adding some DO schools to your application list. Or if you were to retake the MCAT and score higher; for example, an MCAT of 35 would give you a 51% chance. You could also consider a Special Masters Program or a full-time postbac to improve your BCPM.

If you don't have physician shadowing, consider adding that.

I think your overall ECs and grades look okay, I would say apply as broadly as possible and I don't see why you can't secure several interviews or even acceptances by the end of this year. Good luck!