What are my chances at BS/MD program?

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take all IB classes at my Highschool and I'm a junior. I'm taking the ACT in February with a projected score of ~28-33 (based off of standardized state administered testing scores) here's what I've done in Highschool:

1) I belong to SABE (Student Advisors to the Board of Education)

2) Started a local teen commission advising city council, and I'm the chair.

3) 300 hours shadowing doctors in Oncology/Hematology

4) three years in student council (two years as officer)

5) Ok-ish GPA around 3.67

6) Medical publishment in major oncology/hematology medical journal.

7) taking highest level of math, and four sciences right now.

8) next year I'm taking all IB HL Chem, IB HL Physics, IB Anatomy, IB Bio, IB HL math, AP calc

9) 2000+ hours of volunteering at my local hospital

If that ACT falls in the projected range, and my gap raises, what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

LOR's from City Mayor, Chief Researcher of Oncology group at children's hospital in Minneapolis, and looking at one more from an internship next fall under a US Congressman.

I guess my goal is to do something to bridge the gap between politics and medicine. I see a lot of pre-meds that don't know as much about the politics of medicine, granted they do know a lot about medicine, but it would be really interesting for me to pursue that or be apart of that change. Long term I'd like to work in pediatric hematology/oncology but also go into government. (I know the whole speech about "you shouldn't know your specialty¡!¡ it'll change once you get to med school" but I love helping little babies and kids)

LOR's from City Mayor, Chief Researcher of Oncology group at children's hospital in Minneapolis, and looking at one more from an internship next fall under a US Congressman.

I guess my goal is to do something to bridge the gap between politics and medicine. I see a lot of pre-meds that don't know as much about the politics of medicine, granted they do know a lot about medicine, but it would be really interesting for me to pursue that or be apart of that change. Long term I'd like to work in pediatric hematology/oncology but also go into government. (I know the whole speech about "you shouldn't know your specialty¡!¡ it'll change once you get to med school" but I love helping little babies and kids)

Your ECs are really amazing, however your GPA and your ACT are too low for a BS/MD programs. Most BS/MD programs are as hard to get into as the Ivies if not harder. You'll probably need a 33+ ACT and a 3.9+ GPA to be considered.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs are really amazing, however your GPA and your ACT are too low for a BS/MD programs. Most BS/MD programs are as hard to get into as the Ivies if not harder. You'll probably need a 33+ ACT and a 3.9+ GPA to be considered.
Alright thank you so much! What colleges would be good ones to consider then? Would Johns Hopkins undergrad be worth it to apply early decision to? (Not BS/MD program)

Alright thank you so much! What colleges would be good ones to consider then? Would Johns Hopkins undergrad be worth it to apply early decision to? (Not BS/MD program)

I'm not 100% sure how competitive JHU is but I believe it is quite competitive. It might be worth applying, if you really like it, best ask around.

At my high school, the only guy to get into JHU was through EDP and he had ~2250 on his SAT and a 4.0 (unweighted GPA) taking many AP courses (~5 or so). This was also ~6 years ago. That being said, I don't know his extracurricular activities, level of community service, exposure to medicine, etc, and your extracurricular activities are very impressive.

Just providing this information for extra consideration.

I know there are a couple BS/DO programs. If you're on-board with the idea of being a DO your stats might match that a little better.