WHAT ARE MY CHANCES AT DO?! cGPA: 3.1 sGPA: 3.6, MCAT 27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kratosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Facts:

3.1 cGPA (health issues first two years of college)
3.6 sGPA (Strong Upward Trend Last 2 years) w/ retakes
MCAT: 27 (PS, VB, BS) 8, 9, 10.

150 Hours of volunteering in ER
50 Hours of shadowing DO
20 Hours of shadowing MD
College Tutor for 3 years in the Chemistry & Biology departments
Independent research for 2 years w/ an honors thesis and 2nd author of a manuscript.
Honors in biology
Academic Excellence in Biology (Highest science GPA out of all Biology majors in my graduating class)

I am a NY resident submitting my application by this weekend.

What are my chances at Northeast Schools (NYITCOM, TOUROCOM, PCOM, UMDNJSOM, LECOM, etc) What are my chances in general if I apply now (early)?

I am thinking of applying to 25 schools. Is that too many?

Your input in greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

guys, although your views are appreciated, your INPUT will be MUCH MORE appreciated. Help Needed. Plese and Thank You! :)

Facts:

3.1 cGPA (health issues first two years of college)
3.6 sGPA (Strong Upward Trend Last 2 years) w/ retakes
MCAT: 27 (PS, VB, BS) 8, 9, 10.

150 Hours of volunteering in ER
50 Hours of shadowing DO
20 Hours of shadowing MD
College Tutor for 3 years in the Chemistry & Biology departments
Independent research for 2 years w/ an honors thesis and 2nd author of a manuscript.
Honors in biology
Academic Excellence in Biology (Highest science GPA out of all Biology majors in my graduating class)

I am a NY resident submitting my application by this weekend.

What are my chances at Northeast Schools (NYITCOM, TOUROCOM, PCOM, UMDNJSOM, LECOM, etc) What are my chances in general if I apply now (early)?

I am thinking of applying to 25 schools. Is that too many?

Your input in greatly appreciated.
You have a good shot even though your cGPA is on the low side... Add ACOM, PCOM--GA, CUSOM, MARIAN, LMU--DCOM to your list....

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good shot even though your cGPA is on the low side... Add ACOM, PCOM--GA, CUSOM, MARIAN, LMU--DCOM to your list....

Thank you for your input. I will add those schools. Also do you know if DO schools keep your last cycle's application on file and review it when you apply in a subsequent cycle, (as in they review both years apps)?

Looks good to me. Good mcat with even breakdown, and high sGPA which I believe carries more weight than your cGPA. Given you have a strong upward trend, and you will be able to explain your health issues during an interview, you definitely have a very good shot at the schools you listed, but I would maybe add some more (maybe not northeast) just as a backup plan. 25 is too many. Unless you have $ to burn.