What are my chances at DO/MD (mcat 27, cgpa 3.8)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GameNameJames

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have great extracurriculars and my gpa is relatively good, but it seems as though the mcat is holding me back. Im not planning to retake, and do not mind which md school I get into. Because of my high gpa, my lizzy m score is not that bad, being a 64. My fear is that the 7 in verbal makes this LizzyM score not a good predictor? By the way, I'm a CA resident

MCAT breakdown (11, 7, 9)

Where should I apply to DO and MD? I want to apply to both.

As an aside question, does anyone know if DO's are accredited to work outside the United States like MD's are?

Members don't see this ad.

Im in Canada, and yes, DO's can practice here as fully licensed physicians .

The 7VR will hurt, and a 27 overall is circling the drain for MD schools. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median scores are closest to your own.

You're fine for any DO program, except AZCOM. I cannot recommend LUCOM.

I have great extracurriculars and my gpa is relatively good, but it seems as though the mcat is holding me back. Im not planning to retake, and do not mind which md school I get into. Because of my high gpa, my lizzy m score is not that bad, being a 64. My fear is that the 7 in verbal makes this LizzyM score not a good predictor? By the way, I'm a CA resident

MCAT breakdown (11, 7, 9)

Where should I apply to DO and MD? I want to apply to both.

As an aside question, does anyone know if DO's are accredited to work outside the United States like MD's are?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 7VR will hurt, and a 27 overall is circling the drain for MD schools. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median scores are closest to your own.

You're fine for any DO program, except AZCOM. I cannot recommend LUCOM.

@Goro sorry to bother you again, but I could not find anyone to specifically answer this question for me! Can DO's go abroad (for example, Europe or the Middle East) and be accredited to work just as MD's are? Thanks for your time!

Thank you @Goro for your help. I appreciate it.

I was hoping to hear what @LizzyM and @gyngyn think if that's possible?
You have a vanishingly small chance of an interview in CA unless you are SDA or are from the inland empire. There are perhaps a few MD schools OOS that might consider you. I recommend a focus on DO schools. I infer that you are applying next cycle given the lateness of the hour.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes @gyngyn I'm applying next cycle! I go to a Jesuit school, so maybe that will help with the Jesuit MD's. Looked at MSAR and thinking about applying to these schools. What do you guys think!? Also, I'm from Israel(middle east), so do I have a better chance as applying as a "white applicant" or "other".

MD's
  1. Oakland
  2. UC Riverside
  3. UC Davis
  4. USC (dream school, just gonna apply anyway)
  5. Frank H. Netter MD School Connecticut
  6. Howard
  7. Loma Linda
  8. Marshall University, west virgina
  9. Medical University of South Carolina
  10. Meharry Medical College
  11. Michigan State University
  12. Morehouse
  13. Sanford
  14. U of A (Tuscon and Phoenix)
  15. Central Michigan University
  16. Florida State University
  17. Creighton
  18. Georgetown
  19. Loyola
  20. St. Louis University
DO:

Western-pomona CA, AT Still -AZ, Touro-CA, and NOVA

Last edited:
Of your 21 MD schools, Oakland, Frank Netter, Loma Linda, Creighton, Loyola, St. Louis and Georgetown are realistic for a possible interview. USC, Riverside and Davis are OK as reaches. Meharry, Morehouse and Howard mainly accept students with a long proven history of strong commitment to serving minority communities. The other 8 schools are state public schools that would accept very few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 27. Other schools that you could consider would be New York Medical College, Albany, Western Michigan, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson, and Rosalind Franklin. There also may be 2 or 3 new MD schools opening in 2016 ( ? Northstate Sacramento, ? King VA ). I will defer to Goro about additional DO schools you could add but a few more would be a good idea.

Of your 21 MD schools, Oakland, Frank Netter, Loma Linda, Creighton, Loyola, St. Louis and Georgetown are realistic for a possible interview. USC, Riverside and Davis are OK as reaches. Meharry, Morehouse and Howard mainly accept students with a long proven history of strong commitment to serving minority communities. The other 8 schools are state public schools that would accept very few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 27. Other schools that you could consider would be New York Medical College, Albany, Western Michigan, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson, and Rosalind Franklin. There also may be 2 or 3 new MD schools opening in 2016 ( ? Northstate Sacramento, ? King VA ). I will defer to Goro about additional DO schools you could add but a few more would be a good idea.
Nix "Northstate."