MD What are my chances? Average stats, IA, ORM, Re-Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherpremed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will try to be concise. South Asian ORM, FL Resident. I have a displayed interest and commitment to serving under-served populations, and I am not SES disadvantaged.

I was arrested for a marijuana related misdemeanor over 3 years ago. The charges were dropped and expunged (no convictions, clean background check), but I received a corresponding conduct violation IA.

I applied last cycle with a GPA between 3.65 - 3.75 and MCAT between 31-34 (all subsections 10+). Muddled stats for the sake of anonymity, but I had a LizzyM of 69. I had minimal clinical experience, zero shadowing, some clinical research, decent volunteering. Unsurprisingly, I did not receive any interviews.

After that experience, I found SDN and began lurking hardcore. Coupled with my anemic application, I also realized that my school list was poorly chosen, having applied to only 18 schools, half being reaches and only applying to 1 of my state schools (as a FL resident... terrible I know :thumbup:).

After learning from SDN and getting a real feel for what medical school admissions are all about, I now know that

Now:

Re-applying with the same MCAT, and higher GPA. LizzyM now 70-71. My app has improved significantly (into competitiveness, I would hope) with:

- clinical experience (200 hours on AMCAS, projected 400 by matriculation, none of these hours include hours from recent employment in a hospital setting)
- 200 hours shadowing
- bench research (very aggressive involvement, very in depth).

I also continued volunteering. Everything is submitted and I am complete at >30 schools, much more realistic. I've been rejected by one of my reaches already (Keck, not surprised).

So anyway, here is what I am asking: I feel like I have fairly average stats compared to global matriculant stats. But at the same time, I am an undesirable ORM, with an IA, however old.

As I see people receive II with the same stats as me, but being marked complete way later, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting passed over at every school that has started reviewing applications. I know that @gonnif probably thinks that I need to be tranquilized, and maybe he is right. But I was still hoping to get some feedback from the sages of SDN. Has my IA killed my chances as an already borderline ORM applicant? Do I have any chance at an acceptance into medical school?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Also, my plan (if this cycle goes south) is to continue employment at the hospital, continue volunteering and research, and retake my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Creighton

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Oakland-B

Western MI

Any DO program, starting with Nova and LECOM-B

ALL FL schools

I will try to be concise. South Asian ORM, FL Resident. I have a displayed interest and commitment to serving under-served populations, and I am not SES disadvantaged.

I was arrested for a marijuana related misdemeanor over 3 years ago. The charges were dropped and expunged (no convictions, clean background check), but I received a corresponding conduct violation IA.

I applied last cycle with a GPA between 3.65 - 3.75 and MCAT between 31-34 (all subsections 10+). Muddled stats for the sake of anonymity, but I had a LizzyM of 69. I had minimal clinical experience, zero shadowing, some clinical research, decent volunteering. Unsurprisingly, I did not receive any interviews.

After that experience, I found SDN and began lurking hardcore. Coupled with my anemic application, I also realized that my school list was poorly chosen, having applied to only 18 schools, half being reaches and only applying to 1 of my state schools (as a FL resident... terrible I know :thumbup:).

After learning from SDN and getting a real feel for what medical school admissions are all about, I now know that

Now:

Re-applying with the same MCAT, and higher GPA. LizzyM now 70-71. My app has improved significantly (into competitiveness, I would hope) with:

- clinical experience (200 hours on AMCAS, projected 400 by matriculation, none of these hours include hours from recent employment in a hospital setting)
- 200 hours shadowing
- bench research (very aggressive involvement, very in depth).

I also continued volunteering. Everything is submitted and I am complete at >30 schools, much more realistic. I've been rejected by one of my reaches already (Keck, not surprised).

So anyway, here is what I am asking: I feel like I have fairly average stats compared to global matriculant stats. But at the same time, I am an undesirable ORM, with an IA, however old.

As I see people receive II with the same stats as me, but being marked complete way later, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting passed over at every school that has started reviewing applications. I know that @gonnif probably thinks that I need to be tranquilized, and maybe he is right. But I was still hoping to get some feedback from the sages of SDN.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Also, my plan (if this cycle goes south) is to continue employment at the hospital, continue volunteering and research, and retake my MCAT.

I suggest:

Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
Oakland-B
Western MI

Any DO program, starting with Nova and LECOM-B

ALL FL schools

This is my exact list with a few minor changes, this is reassuring. How much do you believe my IA and ORM status will hurt me? I just feel that every school I apply to has 50 applications just like mine from an ORM with better stats and no IA...

Members don't see this ad :)
These IAs are very common, and Adcom members were once young and stupid too. ORM status is irrelevant. Actually, if you're Asian, there's a greater likelihood that you'll be accepted, given that Asians make up 1/3rd of all med school classes but are only some 4% or so of the US population.

This is my exact list with a few minor changes, this is reassuring. How much do you believe my IA and ORM status will hurt me? I just feel that every school I apply to has 50 applications just like mine from an ORM with better stats and no IA...

That would be an impossible metric to calculate nor would it do anything other than drive your bouncing around the room. Aint nothing goona change the realty of what is happening now. Just hang on and try not to wet your pants

Golden advice.

...no pun intended.

It just exacerbates my neuroticism that my IA has sunk me as I see people with similar stats get interview offers while I get passed over.

These IAs are very common, and Adcom members were once young and stupid too. ORM status is irrelevant. Actually, if you're Asian, there's a greater likelihood that you'll be accepted, given that Asians make up 1/3rd of all med school classes but are only some 4% or so of the US population.

That might be the first time I've heard someone say that being Asian helps your odds of getting an acceptance, but nevertheless the perspective you have provided helps. Thank you!

As long as you dont shower me with praise.

I feel dirty now

You will be ok with a good list.

Did you talk to the Dean about removing the IA from your record? It doesn't seem fair that if the State of Florida dismissed and expunged your record that you will still be penalized by having to disclose the IA.