What are my chances (Caribean, D.O, or Podiatry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verydesperate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I really need your help in honestly telling me what my chances are. I graduated in 2012 from a reputable university in the Midwest with a 3.37 gpa and a 21 MCAT twice with the same sub-scores. I am an older applicant and have volunteer and shadowing experience but NO research at all. I plan on applying to the Caribbean schools (SGU and AUC) and I am also thinking about going into podiatry or applying to D.O schools as well. I know I am not AT ALL on the same scale as most of the other people who will be applying so please let me know what you think. I am getting a little depressed and I really don't want to give up, but I might have to.

Thanks!!!!
:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to get into a podiatry program. Your mcat is far too low for DO.

You should be able to get into a podiatry program. Your mcat is far too low for DO.

I agree, lift up the MCAT, otherwise DO is a Nogo. Get the pun, Noggin? lol oh, science.

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you think I might be a little too late to apply to podiatry schools right now (Mid May???)
I mean I still have not started the AACPMAS application and I talked to the Kent school admissions staff and they said they don't recommend me applying this late for the Fall of 2013, they suggest I wait until next fall. But might it be worth it to wait and apply next year??? I mean I am not getting younger as the years pass by. lol.

Thanks for your responses to my other questions.

Ok guys, I really need your help in honestly telling me what my chances are. I graduated in 2012 from a reputable university in the Midwest with a 3.37 gpa and a 21 MCAT twice with the same sub-scores. I am an older applicant and have volunteer and shadowing experience but NO research at all. I plan on applying to the Caribbean schools (SGU and AUC) and I am also thinking about going into podiatry or applying to D.O schools as well. I know I am not AT ALL on the same scale as most of the other people who will be applying so please let me know what you think. I am getting a little depressed and I really don't want to give up, but I might have to.

Thanks!!!!

Throw a Hail Mary Pass by applying to newer schools and the one with low mcat score (MUCOM, ACOM, CUSOM, KYCOM, WVCOM, WCUCOM). Also, you should check LMU-DCOM post-bacc, which will give you a chance to direct acceptance to their DO program if you perform well in the post-bacc. Don't go carib!!! and you should not do POD if this is not what you want.

Reactions: 1 user
You might have luck with some of the newer DO programs. Caribbean diploma mills will take as long as you have a pulse and can write an up-front tuition check. Check Pod fourms for your chances there.

If you truely want to be competetive, you need to fix your MCAT deficits.

Thanks!!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Temperature101!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You gave me a list of schools to consider. That was very helpful and kind of you.
I appreciate it. I am going to look into those right now.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Temperature101!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You gave me a list of schools to consider. That was very helpful and kind of you.
I appreciate it. I am going to look into those right now.

Add LMU-DCOM to that list as well. I think their average MCAT is 24.

Last edited:
Whatchu know about wearing a fur on ya noggin?

"I'm gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket Im, Im, I'm hunting, looking for a come up, this is freaking awesome."

That is how I feel pretty much every time I walk into a club or bar...

I would try ACOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, LMU, WVSOM, VCOM, WCU, PCOM Ga, KYCOM, PNWU, SOMA, and any schools that will start their first class in fall 2014. be willing to move anywhere.

what is your sci gpa?

if you could just raise the MCAT to 24, you would be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Chances are fine for Pod & Carib (would only consider this if you, after 1-2 more attempts, cannot raise your MCAT score/get accepted to any DO school).

target some of the new DO schools as what was suggested by previous posts. mcat 22, taken twice, with a good life story (im assuming you have one) and you could impress!

target some of the new DO schools as what was suggested by previous posts. mcat 22, taken twice, with a good life story (im assuming you have one) and you could impress!

their mcat is 21

I would definitely retake before applying. That 21 would shut close many doors in your face. Besides, improving a 21 should be an easy task, given that you don't score 3 on verbal.

Didn't you just create another thread where you said your MCAT was 22? :confused:
Either way, you need to retake the MCAT to be seriously considered for DO schools. If you have some amazing story, you may still get in with that score. Apply to the schools that the other posters listed and apply EARLY. Submit your primary in May. Like now. That will give you your best shot.
Good luck. :luck: