What Are My chances? cGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 35

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4-cyclohexene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just took my MCAT for the second time and got a 35 (VR:9 PS:12 BS:14). I have a 3.85 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA. My first MCAT score was 31 (VR:10 PS:11 BS:10)
Extracurriculars:
  • 8-week full time internship at a biopharmaceutical company developing cancer therapeutics. qPCR, western blot, tissue culture experience. Around 320 hours.
  • Endocrinology research internship for 150 hours. Fecal sample extraction procedures, radioimmunoassays on serum, urine and feces for gonadal and adrenal steroids.
  • 400-500 hours of medical scribing.
  • 6-week internship in Portugal shadowing a general surgeon and plastic surgeon.
  • 120 hours as an English tutor in Portugal.
  • Humanitarian clowning trip in Guatemala for 1 week.
  • Member of Indian Student Association. Performed Indian Classical dances/music.
  • Chapter President and founder of Best Buddies (an organization that establishes one-to-one friendships between college students and students with intellectual and developmental disabilities)
  • Chemistry, Physics and Biology tutor for underprivileged high school students (120 hours)
  • Member of competitive Bollywood Dance Team for 1 year
  • Fluent Spanish speaker. I have taken Spanish Language classes during high school (4 years) and I also have had private Spanish lessons (for 4 years).
  • Emergency Medical Research Associate Program. 40 hours of surveying patients for a tobacco cessation study. Clinical Research study.
  • Member of Service Fraternity where each member completes 25 hours of service every semester.
  • Very interested in the Latino & Hispanic culture. Traveled to Argentina, Costa Rica, Chile, Mexico, and Spain and to observe the culture and enhance my language skills.
  • ·A Capella Group- All female music group that performs around the campus, community, and other parts of the Midwest. Member for three years.
  • 40 hours volunteering at nursing home.
  • Food Pantry Volunteer (50 hours)
  • ·Student Government Association. Residence Hall Senator and Diversity Leadership Cabinet Senator 2012-2013. College of Arts & Sciences Senator 2013-2014.
  • Pre-Med Fraternity involving medically related service, projects, and learning experiences.
  • Dean’s list for 7 consecutive semesters.

I'm an Iowa resident and these are the schools that I am planning on applying to.

Target Schools
    1. University of Iowa (Safety)
    2. Creighton (Safety)
    3. University of Nebraska (Safety)
    4. George Washington
    5. Georgetown
    6. SLU
    7. Indiana University
    8. Medical College of Wisconsin
    9. Drexel
    10. Rush
    11. Sanford (Safety)
    12. Tulane

Reach Schools
    1. Northwestern
    2. Ohio State
    3. University of Virginia
    4. NYU
    5. Brown

This is just a preliminary list, and I will be narrowing it down as I start researching and learning more about these schools. Are there any other schools that you would recommend adding to my list and are there any schools on this list that you think I have a good shot of getting an interview/acceptance from based on my MCAT, GPA and ECs. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're a rock star. Aim high.

My list

Target Schools
1. University of Iowa (Safety)
2. Creighton (Safety)
3. University of Nebraska (Safety)
4. George Washington
5. Georgetown
6. SLU
7. Indiana University
8. Medical College of Wisconsin
9. Drexel
10. Rush
12. Tulane
U IL maybe
U CO
U AZ
U Miami
Loyola
Emory
Dartmouth
Duke
USC
BU
Einstein
Any new MD school
Maybe Cornell OR Columbia OR Mt Sinai OR NYU
Northwestern OR U MI OR Pitt OR Vanderbilt

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey AmICrazy! Thanks for your kind words. I've actually been doing some research regarding your question and this is what I've found. Most medical schools have their own unique policy regarding multiple MCAT scores. For example, one of the schools I'm applying (Medical College of Wisconsin) actually takes the highest scores from each section and superscore. University of Iowa, and many other schools, focus primarily on the highest scores. There are some schools that consider all scores, but what I've found is that the majority of them focus mainly on the highest and most recent score. Thanks for sharing the AAMC information with me and for taking the time to read this thread! :)

I'd add a few more reaches: Case Western, Emory, Vanderbilt, Mt. Sinai

Hi Unnumzaan! So my university has a committee that brings in influential speakers who have found a lot of success in their own respective careers. One of these speakers was Dr. Hunter Patch Adams. His story became popular because he was portrayed by Robin Williams in the movie Patch Adams. During his speech, he mentioned these "humanitarian clowning trips" where he goes with a team of clowns to different countries (Russia, Guatemala, Ecuador etc.) that are going through difficult times, whether it's economically, medically, or politically.

I signed up for one of these trips because it just seemed like a great way to remind myself of why I wanted to do medicine in the first place, to connect with other people. I had just bombed an orgo test that day before his speech, and his speech completely turned things around for me. I decided that I had to experience one of these clowning trips for myself, so I signed up to go to Guatemala over spring break. I had no idea what to expect going into the trip. I was especially nervous when I found out we had to wear our clowning outfits through all the airports on our flight there. I got some stares while going through security in Miami haha. But when I got there I fell in love with the people (the staff at the quaint bed and breakfast we stayed at treated us like we were family) and the other clowns there who were so open to meeting new people and just really letting their guard down to soak in the experience.

We spent the week visiting hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and psychiatric facilities interacting with the kids and adults there. It was one of my most meaningful experiences during undergrad. It was definitely not your standard medical mission trip, because the majority of what we did there was interact with anyone and everyone and try to put a smile on their face by just being downright ridiculous. Like whoopee cushions, bubbles, weird faces you name it. But the takeaway from this trip for me was that the humanistic side of medicine, which seems to be disappearing, is SO important. In a career where we are expected to learn so much, we forget that we are responsible for caring for whole people, with aspirations and a life outside the world of a hospital or their disease. I could talk about this trip for a loooong time, but overall, it was just a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. I stepped outside of my own comfort zone so many times during this trip, and the reward that came from that was incredible. Sorry if this was WAY more information than you wanted. I just love talking about this trip because it was such an important experience for me!

I'd add a few more reaches: Case Western, Emory, Vanderbilt, Mt. Sinai
Hey Lamel! I added Vandy and Case to my list. My concern though is that I don't want to stretch myself too far with these reach schools. I remember reading somewhere on SDN that Vanderbilt does a really harsh preliminary screening before sending out secondaries. Something crazy like only people with MCAT scores of 37 and a 3.8 GPA will even be considered. That scared me a little. I guess I'll never know if I don't try, but I'm trying to figure out where to draw the line with how many reach schools I apply to because this whole thing is just SO INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE! YIKES.

I'm curious on one thing. Why specifically @4-cyclohexene? Is it because @cyclohexene was taken? :thinking::thinking:

Also I don't think @unnumzaan meant any ill intent when pointing out your 1-week mission trip. It just seems too short to be considered significant, but since you are very passionate about this, by all means, include it in your AMCAS Works and Activities with sufficient descriptions.

With that said, you have good stats (especially with the upward MCAT trend) and good activities. I agree that you should add few more reaches since you're good to go for pretty much all schools (except the stat-obsessive ones like Penn and WashU). Good luck!

I'm curious on one thing. Why specifically @4-cyclohexene? Is it because @cyclohexene was taken? :thinking::thinking:

Also I don't think @unnumzaan meant any ill intent when pointing out your 1-week mission trip. It just seems too short to be considered significant, but since you are very passionate about this, by all means, include it in your AMCAS Works and Activities with sufficient descriptions.

With that said, you have good stats (especially with the upward MCAT trend) and good activities. I agree that you should add few more reaches since you're good to go for pretty much all schools (except the stat-obsessive ones like Penn and WashU). Good luck!

Hey! Thanks for your advice! As far as reaches go I currently have the following on my list: UVA, OSU, Case, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth. As far as the name goes, I was studying for an orgo lab final with friends and we were reviewing one of the previous labs did a lab where the compound we studied was 4-cyclohexene-cis-1-2-dicarboxylic anhydride. In our loopy, sleep deprived, too much orgo for a lifetime state we joked about how there would be a question on the exam that would be like write down the compound from lab 7 and spell it right. We laughed and thought it was hilarious for some reason when it really wasn't haha. The funny thing was that it was actually on the exam. That and "what is the refractive index of glass?" Haha, oh the useful pieces of knowledge acquired during pre-med. Anyway, that name was too long, so I settled for 4-cyclohexene.

By the way, your link to the personal statement tips was SUPER helpful so thanks for navigating me to that forum :) I'm writing mine right now and finding that it's not easy to pour your whole personality into 5300 characters!

Hey! Thanks for your advice! As far as reaches go I currently have the following on my list: UVA, OSU, Case, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth. As far as the name goes, I was studying for an orgo lab final with friends and we were reviewing one of the previous labs did a lab where the compound we studied was 4-cyclohexene-cis-1-2-dicarboxylic anhydride. In our loopy, sleep deprived, too much orgo for a lifetime state we joked about how there would be a question on the exam that would be like write down the compound from lab 7 and spell it right. We laughed and thought it was hilarious for some reason when it really wasn't haha. The funny thing was that it was actually on the exam. That and "what is the refractive index of glass?" Haha, oh the useful pieces of knowledge acquired during pre-med. Anyway, that name was too long, so I settled for 4-cyclohexene.

You mean this?

mfcd00005916-medium.png

All I can think about from looking at that compound is Diels-Alder reactions. Something to do with maleic anhydride I think. Oh, the good days of organic chemistry.

By the way, your link to the personal statement tips was SUPER helpful so thanks for navigating me to that forum :) I'm writing mine right now and finding that it's not easy to pour your whole personality into 5300 characters!

Sure thing. Stickies tend to be insufficient so I hunt for good threads and link them to my signature.

In regards to application, only four reaches is okay, though you're selling yourself short, especially by having "too many apps" schools like Drexel, Georgetown and GWU. Why not apply to Jefferson and Temple instead?

That's an awesome story. I'll bet that someone on the interview trail will ask you to tell it so you should make sure to have a treat prepared for them.

As for your reaches, I could consider OSU, Dartmouth, and Case to be more like target schools. You're right to be wary about applying to stat centric schools like Vanderbilt, Baylor, Penn, WashU, but there are many in the top 20/30/40 that aren't as focused on numbers. Additionally, I think you have excellent chances at Iowa, which gives you a bit more freedom to explore your more reach-y options. Must be nice to have such an awesome school with instate preference :p

Members don't see this ad :)
If my university sent out my transcripts on May 18th, when should I expect AMCAS to receive it. I called them two days ago to check but they said they hadn't gotten it yet. They also said they are behind in processing transcripts because of the Memorial Day holiday. I am getting worried it won't make it there before June 2nd :(

If my university sent out my transcripts on May 18th, when should I expect AMCAS to receive it. I called them two days ago to check but they said they hadn't gotten it yet. They also said they are behind in processing transcripts because of the Memorial Day holiday. I am getting worried it won't make it there before June 2nd :(

As long as they get your transcripts in by mid June you will be verified before any secondaries even go out, don't worry too much. Schools get information from AMCAS at the end of June at the earliest.

As long as they get your transcripts in by mid June you will be verified before any secondaries even go out, don't worry too much. Schools get information from AMCAS at the end of June at the earliest.

Just so I understand correctly, if I submit my entire primary application say ~June 14th, it will likely not delay the schools receiving my info compared to submitting right away on June 2nd?

With regards to the OP, I have nothing to add except to say that you seem amazing and I foresee great success for you this upcoming application cycle:) Well, I guess I could get behind adding a reach school or two.

Just so I understand correctly, if I submit my entire primary application say ~June 14th, it will likely not delay the schools receiving my info compared to submitting right away on June 2nd?

Yeah, basically, because you will probably be verified before the very end of June. Even if you're verified early July you are still in great shape. As long as you are complete at schools before August (secondaries and LORs are in), you are still early.

I've finalized my list! Here it is.

1. Albany Medical College
2. Einstein
3. Case Western (Reach)
4. Creighton
5. Drexel
6. Eastern Virginia
7. Dartmouth (Reach)
8. Georgetown
9. Indiana
10. Loyola
11. U IL
12. Medical College of Wisconsin
13. NYMC
14. Northwestern (Reach)
15. Oakland University
16. Quinnipac
17. Rush
18. Sinai (Reach)
19. OSU (Reach)
20. University of Vermont
21. Tulane
22. Uniformed Services
23. University of Iowa
24. University of Kentucky
25. University of Minnesota
26. University of Missouri
27. University of Nebraska
28. University of Utah
29. UVA (Reach)
30. VCU
31. West Virginia
32. Hofstra
33. Emory (Reach)
34. Duke (Reach)
35. USC (Reach)
36. Temple

Let me know what you guys think. I'm hoping to submit tomorrow. Thanks!

I feel like I might actually know you lol …You don't go to SLU by any chance do you?

36 schools seem excessive, but you should be in good shape with that list.