What are my chances? (DO Thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammyguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished undergrad this past spring with a 3.50 cGPA 3.20 sGPA. First MCAT was a 25, will retake in January. I've done about 120 hours of volunteer work at a hospital (outpatient pharmacy). More concrete clinical experience is working for a private practice as a technician (I workup anywhere between 50-100 patients a week pending on which doctor I'm working with, so there's a TON of patient and physician interaction where I actually assist with injections and procedures outside of giving patients general examinations). I've accumulated about ~500 hours at the practice right now.

That's pretty much the X,Y, Z for my application right now. Anyone's thoughts on my chances for DO acceptance once I submit my application for next cycle (entering 2016 semester)???

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a perfectly fine DO application. What are you doing differently for the retake?

I took a Kaplan class the first go around, so I utilized their high score guarantee. This time I'll be using their practice questions far more often (not just the full lengths). Feel like before it was more memorization with equations than understanding ins/outs of certain empirical topics

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a perfectly fine DO application. What are you doing differently for the retake?
Not perfectly fine. App is good enough to get into a DO school ATM as long as OP isnt too picky. If OP is picky gonna need a retake the mcat.

Chances are fine, especially if you can get the next MCAT score into the very high 20s.

Finished undergrad this past spring with a 3.50 cGPA 3.20 sGPA. First MCAT was a 25, will retake in January. I've done about 120 hours of volunteer work at a hospital (outpatient pharmacy). More concrete clinical experience is working for a private practice as a technician (I workup anywhere between 50-100 patients a week pending on which doctor I'm working with, so there's a TON of patient and physician interaction where I actually assist with injections and procedures outside of giving patients general examinations). I've accumulated about ~500 hours at the practice right now.

That's pretty much the X,Y, Z for my application right now. Anyone's thoughts on my chances for DO acceptance once I submit my application for next cycle (entering 2016 semester)???

Not sure on rules of bumping threads, but instead of making another thread just to post a list of schools that I'm thinking of applying to I thought i'd post the list here since my stats and such are already listed above.

Alabama ACOM
AT Still University ATSU
ATSU - Mesa
Arizona AZCOM
Campbell University CUSOM
Chicago Midwestern CCOM
Des Moines DMU
Kansas City KCUMB
Lake Erie LECOM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - Seton Hall
Lincoln Memorial University LMU-DCOM
Marian University COM MUCOM
Nova Southeastern University NSUCOM
Ohio University Heritage OUHCOM
Oklahoma State University OSUCOM
Philadelphia PCOM
PCOM - GA
Rocky Vista University RVU
University of New England UNECOM
University of Pikeville-Kentucky KYCOM
Via VCOM (all 3 campuses of Auburn, Carolinas, Virginia)
West Virginia WVSOM
William Carey WCUM

Not applying to any MD schools, partially due to my stats but mostly due to relating with DO philosophy quite well. Any suggestions or thoughts on my list of schools? Schools not listed I've completely ruled out, but that doesn't mean I'll apply to all of these schools. Just wondering if anybody thinks I should not bother with a couple of these schools.

Thanks for your help in advance everyone

Alabama ACOM
AT Still University ATSU
ATSU - Mesa
Arizona AZCOM
Chicago Midwestern CCOM
Des Moines DMU
Kansas City KCUMB

Lake Erie LECOM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - Seton Hall

Philadelphia PCOM
PCOM - GA
West Virginia WVSOM
William Carey WCUM
Striked the unrealistic. Bolded the reaches.

I'm def applying to CCOM since I'm from Chicago, and most likely gonna apply to DMU and KCUMB. OSU and UNECOM and AZCOM are ones I still need to think about. Money's not an issue, so taking off schools just for primaries and secondaries isn't part of my thought process.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Some of your schools have regional biases. These I'm highlighting in red. Others I'm culling right now based upon the 25 score... you need to do better for those. You should be fine with the rest.

Alabama ACOM
AT Still University ATSU
ATSU - Mesa
Des Moines DMU
Kansas City KCUMB
Lake Erie LECOM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - Seton Hall

Philadelphia PCOM
PCOM - GA
West Virginia WVSOM
William Carey WCUM

Not applying to any MD schools, partially due to my stats but mostly due to relating with DO philosophy quite well. Any suggestions or thoughts on my list of schools? Schools not listed I've completely ruled out, but that doesn't mean I'll apply to all of these schools. Just wondering if anybody thinks I should not bother with a couple of these schools.

Thanks for your help in advance everyone[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user