What are my chances for an MFT Masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovablekrnstar63

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone!!

This is my very first ever post (and I made an account just to ask this question!)

I'm looking at MFT schools in Southern California (mostly the accredited ones, though I have no idea what the difference is between an unaccredited vs accredited school haha).

And I was hoping to get some honest feedback about my competitiveness

GPA:
I graduated from UCSD in 2013 with a BS in Psychology, BA in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Science
cumulative was 3.94 (summa cum laude)
psychology GPA was 4.0 (don't know if that matters haha)

GRE:
164 reading, 162 math, 4.5 essay
I don't know if those are competitive scores at all for MFT and I was thinking about taking them again to be more competitive..

I studied abroad twice (once in Turkey, once in Spain), and I'm planning on going back to Spain for 2014-2015 to teach English there for a year (i would start my program fall 2015)

I have one year of research experience (child development mostly)

I have lots of work experience (currently working in HR)

My concern is I have no relevant/clinical experience.
is that something that is important? I imagine so.. If so, how do you recommend I go about getting that experience? it's not like you can sit in on a session or something, that just boggles me, haha.

I hope this garners some responses, I have NO idea where to go for help/resources, so I'm kinda just reaching out everywhere haha.
so any feedback would be SO appreciated!

Please be honest too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is that you'll be fine. Your GPA definitely puts you above the average for MFT programs.
There are plenty of ways to get human services experiences with families and children without being a therapist, or shadowing one. Anyway, I think you'll be fine if you can tie your research experience into informing where you are at in terms of your educational and career goals.

hello everyone!!

This is my very first ever post (and I made an account just to ask this question!)

I'm looking at MFT schools in Southern California (mostly the accredited ones, though I have no idea what the difference is between an unaccredited vs accredited school haha).

And I was hoping to get some honest feedback about my competitiveness

GPA:
I graduated from UCSD in 2013 with a BS in Psychology, BA in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Science
cumulative was 3.94 (summa cum laude)
psychology GPA was 4.0 (don't know if that matters haha)

GRE:
164 reading, 162 math, 4.5 essay
I don't know if those are competitive scores at all for MFT and I was thinking about taking them again to be more competitive..

I studied abroad twice (once in Turkey, once in Spain), and I'm planning on going back to Spain for 2014-2015 to teach English there for a year (i would start my program fall 2015)

I have one year of research experience (child development mostly)

I have lots of work experience (currently working in HR)

My concern is I have no relevant/clinical experience.
is that something that is important? I imagine so.. If so, how do you recommend I go about getting that experience? it's not like you can sit in on a session or something, that just boggles me, haha.

I hope this garners some responses, I have NO idea where to go for help/resources, so I'm kinda just reaching out everywhere haha.
so any feedback would be SO appreciated!

Please be honest too!

It is unfortunate, but almost everyone who applies to MFT programs are accepted and complete their training. Schools are invested in the income provided by these students and are not concerned with employment opportunities or quality of their graduates. I speak as a Former Vice Chair of the California Board of Behavior Science.