What are my chances for California Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephemeralsun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you from California? Do you have significant ties to California? Your application looks good, but it helps to have a strong connection to the locale. Any reason why you aren't interested in UCSF, Stanford, or UCSF?

I hope you are planning on doing your sub-I at one of these California locations, and also planning on making the best impression you've ever made in your life. Otherwise, plan on doing equally on Step 2 to help bolster your application further. Good LORs are a must.

Members don't see this ad :)
You remain a pretty strong candidate for matching into Neurology. Important components for a strong Neurology application include Step 1, good performance and evaluations on clinical rotations (especially IM and neurology), tangible evidence of interest in neurology (participation in neuro-related extracurriculars, research), and strong LORs from neurologists. Your application seems to already include most of this. California residencies are more competitive than most other locations. I would apply to all Cali residencies, and make sure you let the programs know of your reasons behind wanting to be in California and emphasize your ties to the location. Consider applying to other locations as well. California is beautiful, but it's not the only place in the world (I know, it's blasphemous to say this on SDN). You can train anywhere, and have a good chance of getting a future job in the location of your choice.

Your chances are approximately 6.7 on the Richter scale.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not. 6.7 is a solid "strong" shakedown. On the other hand, I'm not sure how keen a residency program would be on hiring you if they knew you were going to cause some structural damage...

Reactions: 1 users