What are my chances for DO? High GPA, Low MCAT, and High EC's (Hispanic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angmon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate the input. There are a few questions I could have help with. Any answer helps!

I've taken the MCAT twice. First time I took it I scored a 23 (10PS, 4VR, 9BS). Second time, I scored a 19 (7PS, 4VR, 8BS). Unfortunately, I was going through some difficult times when I took it the second time and did not focus much on my sciences. :( I'm having trouble raising my verbal, any tips would be great! :)

I have a cGPA of 3.82 and sGPA of 3.80. Both of these should increase at the end of the semester. :D

My EC's are great! A lot of volunteering, shadowing, medical experience, and great number of achievements. :thumbup:

Do many schools look at the recent score, or do they look at the best? I plan to re-take this July. With no college classes taking most of my time, I will be able to study more; hopefully, making it above the mid-20s. :scared:

Should I apply to the schools in/out of state already and post I will re-take my MCAT? Or should I just apply with these scores? I'm not quite sure how this works :confused:

Also, how true is it that Osteopathic schools are a little more flexible with minorities? (Hispanics for my case.)

Hopefully I can get some feedback. I appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate the input. There are a few questions I could have help with. Any answer helps!

I've taken the MCAT twice. First time I took it I scored a 23 (10PS, 4VR, 9BS). Second time, I scored a 19 (7PS, 4VR, 8BS). Unfortunately, I was going through some difficult times when I took it the second time and did not focus much on my sciences. :( I'm having trouble raising my verbal, any tips would be great! :)

I have a cGPA of 3.82 and sGPA of 3.80. Both of these should increase at the end of the semester. :D

My EC's are great! A lot of volunteering, shadowing, medical experience, and great number of achievements. :thumbup:

Do many schools look at the recent score, or do they look at the best? I plan to re-take this July. With no college classes taking most of my time, I will be able to study more; hopefully, making it above the mid-20s. :scared:

Should I apply to the schools in/out of state already and post I will re-take my MCAT? Or should I just apply with these scores? I'm not quite sure how this works :confused:

Also, how true is it that Osteopathic schools are a little more flexible with minorities? (Hispanics for my case.)

Hopefully I can get some feedback. I appreciate it. :)

25+ will get you in somewhere but you have to get that VR up to 6+.....27+ will make you competitive at almost all DO...You might add some low tier MD as well.

Both allopathic and osteopathic schools are "flexible" with minorities. That being said, it doesn't mean they will take a bunch of minority students with low stats. They still want all their matriculants to be fairly competitive, even if URM stats are slightly lower than ORM stats. Your GPA is great, but a 19 will get you passed over at almost every US medical school, MD and DO. It looks even worse because you DECLINED 4 points. If you really want to stand a chance at a US school, you need to retake the MCAT and do significantly better, like 27+ to quell any concerns about your weak testing. And have a good, fair explanation for why you declined so much because that is definitely a red flag. To ADCOMs, MCAT is a rough, albeit flawed, measure of how you'd perform on the boards, which you obviously need to do well on to match well. Good luck!