What are my chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpmiz

M4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally got my MCAT score back and its a little below my average. I got a 25 with a breakdown of 7/10/8
My cGPA is 3.45 and my sgpa is about 3.28.
My E.Cs are pretty standard. I have a couple hundred hours volunteering in hospice and at the hospital. I also have a bunch of hours scattered through different organizations on my campus. About 50 shadowing hours although I'm hoping to bulk this up on my gap year.
I'm also planning to work as a CNA on my gap year.
What are my chances for this upcoming cycle? Are there any schools I should definitely make sure to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey jpmiz!
The bad news is U.S MD schools will not take you with those scores. If you want to go the MD route, do a post bacc and get at least a 29 next time you take the MCAT if you want a real chance (although I heard the new mcat will be out of 60 points so i'm not too sure what that would translate to). If you want to apply to schools now, definitely apply broadly to DO schools and you may have a chance! Not sure if you are interested in Caribbean schools but you have a shot there as well. The DO schools you should definitely apply to are TUNCOM, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, LECOM-Erie and LECOM-Bradenton. Personally I think your chances are good at WVSOM and LMU-DCOM and at a number of Caribbean schools. Hope that was helpful!

Edit: I got into TUNCOM with a 27 MCAT and 3.4 cum and 3.3 science, and lots of research and extracurriculars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your help! I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind when I apply.