What are my chances for Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cadet133

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am an IMG looking to apply for this years match

Step1: 210
Step 2 CK: 229
Step 2 CS Pending
All passed on 1st attempt

Class Rank: top 25%
No research, no red flags
2 year USCE
Year of graduation 2016

I have 3 LORS from Family Medicine from U.S doctors and 3 LORS from Internal Medicine
I got a High Pass in Family medicine and Pass In internal medicine rotation

Im looking to apply to about 250 programs

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
seriously ? Relax.
There are programs that have few if any IMGs, but with 250 applications, your shotgun approach will land you a spot

Members don't see this ad :)

Step 2 CS Passed

2 year USCE
Year of graduation 2016

I have 3 LORS from Family Medicine from U.S doctors and 3 LORS from Internal Medicine

What are my chances?

I am A DO

Step1: 229
Step2: 220
We don't generally take CS, but I passed the COMLEX-PE (the DO equivalent) on first attempt.
Top 20% of class
High-pass on FM, honors on FM Sub-I at one of the program's I interviewed at (ACGME)
High pass on IM
High pass on Peds and OB.

Applied 40, all ACGME. Interviewed and ranked 8, had 22 invites overall.

Didn't match.

Got a spot with an elite program in the SOAP, not sure why they had spots open, but I'm glad they did.

Make sure you go on as many interviews as possible. The key I think, is having a long rank list.

can anyone help me as well?

US-MD graduate 2015

STep 1: 190s 2nd attempt
Step 2: passed CS 1st attempt, 220s 1st attempt for CK
all honors in 4th year except 1 course which was high pass

Obviously intend to apply incredibly broadly except Hawaii and Alaska

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I am A DO

We don't generally take CS, but I passed the COMLEX-PE (the DO equivalent) on first attempt.
Top 20% of class
High-pass on FM
, honors on FM Sub-I at one of the program's I interviewed at (ACGME)
High pass on IM

Didn't match.

Got a spot with an elite program in the SOAP, not sure why they had spots open, but I'm glad they did.

Make sure you go on as many interviews as possible. The key I think, is having a long rank list.

Whaaa?

I am A DO

Top 20% of class
High-pass on FM, honors on FM Sub-I at one of the program's I interviewed at (ACGME)
High pass on IM

Didn't match.

What was your COMLEX score? 229 on COMLEX is a FAIL

What was your COMLEX score? 229 on COMLEX is a FAIL

COMLEX-1 was 551
COMLEX-2 was 540

I didn't list them here because I only applied ACGME and that's what programs look at if you have both. Plus the OP isn't a DO so won't have a COMLEX score anyway. Didn't think it was relevant here.

The original poster listed his stats but did not indicate how well he did on the interviews
Stats dont tel the entire story
because at the end of the day the interviews make/break you the stats pre-screen everyone

I think I did fine at the interviews, but who knows. All I know is that in SOAP I fielded a lot of questions about why the hell I didn't match. People were probably thinking I had some major sociopath vibe going on or something.

But it all worked out well in the end. I'm at an awesome program at one of the most well respected institutions in the country, and it's honestly a better fit than anything on my ROL was. I'm ready to chalk it up to serendipity, I didn't apply here because I didn't think there was a chance in hell they'd even look at me.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I did fine at the interviews, but who knows. All I know is that in SOAP I fielded a lot of questions about why the hell I didn't match. People were probably thinking I had some major sociopath vibe going on or something.

But it all worked out well in the end. I'm at an awesome program at one of the most well respected institutions in the country, and it's honestly a better fit than anything on my ROL was. I'm ready to chalk it up to serendipity, I didn't apply here because I didn't think there was a chance in hell they'd even look at me.

congrats that it worked out in the end!
but with your decent stats + appaarently decent interview = SOAP match.....that get's me worried!!

COMLEX-1 was 551
COMLEX-2 was 540

I didn't list them here because I only applied ACGME and that's what programs look at if you have both. Plus the OP isn't a DO so won't have a COMLEX score anyway. Didn't think it was relevant here.
You only applied ACGME and did not get into a residency so that leaves DO residencies which I felt you hindered yourself and your COMLEX score is relevant to me since I only took COMLEX. Thx.

In my experience FM programs do care about scores but IMO the interview matters a whole lot more than fields like IM where it seems scores are king. From my experience talking to FMG applicants (true FMGs needing visas) they had more trouble getting FM interviews than they did IM interviews. A lot if the FMGs said they actually wanted FM but couldn't get interviews bc FM placed so much stock in the interviews and communication skills. Plus a lot of IM programs are used to taking FMGs.. And you see many IM FMG PDs... Have NOT really seen too many FM FMG PDs..

Last edited:

Step 2 CS Pending

2 year USCE
Year of graduation 2016

What are my chances?
Hello,
It seems you are a strong candidate. You should be selected for a large amount of interviews, then the interview will depend on your demeanor, how you answer questions, how you socialize with the other applicants/residents, how you carry yourself etc. The interview is the most important step and rank meetings always remember their candidates from the interview, especially family medicine programs. Keep up the strong work and good luck!

Step 2 CS Pending

2 year USCE
Year of graduation 2016

What are my chances?
Hello,
You are a very strong applicant. Make sure you have a strong application summary and personal statement and you will have lots of interviews to choose from. I recommend going on more than 20 interviews as it is very exhausting and expensive and you do not want to look "burned out" to any of the program tat are interviewing you. Remember to keep in mind that LOCATION is very important in the selection process. If you cannot see yourself living there then don't apply there. Good luck! ~M.D. Author/Editor BoardVitals