what are my chances for FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playingfrombehind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US-MD graduate 2015

STep 1: 190s 2nd attempt
Step 2: passed CS 1st attempt, 220s 1st attempt for CK
all honors in 4th year except 1 course which was high pass

Obviously intend to apply incredibly broadly except Hawaii and Alaska

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
US-MD graduate 2015 (did not apply for match this year - thought I wasn't going to graduate on time and intended to take a 5th year of more electives at med school - med school originally agreed then changed their mind in Feb and forced me to graduate on time)

STep 1: 189 2nd attempt
Step 2: passed CS 1st attempt, 221 1st attempt for CK
a few passes in IM, OBGYN, surgery, and high passes in psych, family medicine, peds, neuro, E.R.
no failures during basic sciences years (year 1 and 2 - decent grades mostly honors and high passes a few passes)

Other: 2 publications, VP of Fam Med group, president of a few clubs at school, etc. etc.

Applying broadly is a good idea, as is making a long ROL. You're gonna want to go on as many interviews as you possibly can and rank them all.

In my experience the west seems the most competitive region of the country. Almost every program filled in the match, less than 15 openings in SOAP. There were over 400 soap spots in the Midwest and East.

US-MD graduate 2015

STep 1: 190s 2nd attempt
Step 2: passed CS 1st attempt, 220s 1st attempt for CK

Hello,
I think you are an average candidate for family medicine. Obviously a failed USMLE score is never looked good upon however as long as you explain this and have a good explanation in your personal statement and during the interview process, I think you have a good chance. Family Medicine programs do pay attention to scores, however that is not their main concern. They are really interested in the person. Does the candidate get along well with others? DO they work hard? Do they have a good attitude? Traits like these are more important to many programs and that is why the interview is the most important part of the application process. Remember to explain this in your personal statement and I think you will be very surprised. I hope this helps. ~M.D. Author/Editor BoardVitals