What are my chances for JHU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SachmoJones

Osteopathic Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am currently applying for Medical School with a 3.97GPs and 32MCAT. I am also from an underprivileged area. I am good letters and pretty good ECs.

What are my chances at JHU?

-Sachmo

Members don't see this ad.

Low chances due to low MCAT for them. Certainly possible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think in order to make a better guess we would need to know more about the other aspects of your application. The MCAT, while good, may prove to be an obstacle for those top schools. If your EC's are outstanding, I would think you still have a shot.

I had 140 hours of shadowing a local family practice physician. 130 hours of chemistry research making penicillins, 80 hours chem research make chalcones as possible betalactamase inhibitors. 180 hours of biology research testing penicillin derivatives and chalcones for betalactamase activity. 700+ hours of tutoring in college. 150 hours biochemical research purifying and analyzing the activity CYP single base mutants. Also plenty of time volunteering with the local church.

You're at the 10th percentile for your MCAT.

• No clinical work/volunteer experience
  • Iffy shadowing (140 hrs with one physician < 70 hours with 5 physicians)
  • Basically a summer of research with no pubs/presentations (cool work, though)
  • Low MCAT (for Hopkins)
It's your money. But unless there's something else you haven't mentioned, you're short about 300 hours of clinical volunteering, about 700 hours of research, 2 presentations, 1 publication, and 4 points on the MCAT. You have a chance, but it's not great.

you're short about 300 hours of clinical volunteering, about 700 hours of research, 2 presentations, 1 publication, and 4 points on the MCAT. You have a chance, but it's not great.
Let's not get carried away here. No one needs 300 hours of clinical volunteering. I have less than half that and so have many other applicants that have been accepted to the most competitive schools.

Let's not get carried away here. No one needs 300 hours of clinical volunteering. I have less than half that and so have many other applicants that have been accepted to the most competitive schools.

I meant in lieu of the high MCAT score such schools often like to see. We don't all have your incredible stats :p

You're at <10th percentile for MCAT (their floor is 32), so unless you have a Cell or Nature paper, I'd look elsewhere.

I am currently applying for Medical School with a 3.97GPs and 32MCAT. I am also from an underprivileged area. I am good letters and pretty good ECs.

What are my chances at JHU?

This type of packet will get you rejected anywhere. You need to show us that you know what you're getting into and that you want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years.

I had 140 hours of shadowing a local family practice physician. 130 hours of chemistry research making penicillins, 80 hours chem research make chalcones as possible betalactamase inhibitors. 180 hours of biology research testing penicillin derivatives and chalcones for betalactamase activity. 700+ hours of tutoring in college. 150 hours biochemical research purifying and analyzing the activity CYP single base mutants. Also plenty of time volunteering with the local church.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not good unless you're URM or have some other great ECs your not telling us.

I know someone who graduated from JHU with uGPA(4.0)/MCAT(33) last year, did not get accepted into JHU medical school. His major was Pre-Med & Pre-Health.