What are my chances for MD or DO program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gator3314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's too early to tell as too many assumptions are going on. You definitely have some red flags with your low GPA that extended to graduate school, but you do have positives as schools love to have veterans in their class. Much of it will boil down to how strong your upward trend is and how high your MCAT is. Bottom line is that you're not out of the running.

Good luck.

I would to know the opinion of someone with some experience in med school (or DO school) admissions of whether or not I have an opportunity of being accepted into a medical school (or DO program). I am a Hispanic, 26 y/o male. This is my story.

1) - Graduated: BA in Physics and BA Economics at the age of 18 from UF (2.9 GPA)
- Graduated: Juris Doctor (law degree) at age 21 from UF (2.74 GPA)
- I was very young and didn’t focus much on grades; I can’t say that I regret what I did, as it has been a learning experience and have learned much from my accomplishments as well as from my mistakes.

2) - Served 4 years in the Marine Corps as an officer with a combat unit.
- I have taught a few undergraduate classes in criminal justice and criminology.
- Additionally, I have done some civilian work with the US government, and am now a part-time dance instructor as I attend school. (I’m simply trying to paint a picture of what I have done)

3) - Now I have begun to take pre-requisite courses for medical school and am in the early stages of a nursing program with straight A’s.
- My maturity and dedication are now being reflected in my outstanding grades. However, I will unfortunately always have my previous GPA that I must carry on with.

I plan of completing nursing school and my pre-reqs for med school (Bio, Organic chm, Biochem, etc.), which will happen simultaneously in about 1.5 years and then take the MCAT. After calculating my predicted GPA, I will only have a 3.2 (assuming I maintain straight A’s which I am confident that I will).

Assuming a decent score on the MCAT when I take it after a year or two, would I stand a chance (for either DO or MD)? I would like an honest opinion from anyone that may have some experience in this.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

If you do well in your recent science classes and on the MCAT you will be fine from a academic/numbers perspective.

The biggest red flag in your application is likely not going to be your grades, but your career hopping. You're going to need a really well articulated reason for both 'why medicine' and 'why medical school', particularly if you are planning on abandoning nursing so soon after having completed a degree in it.

Last edited:
If you do well in your recent science classes and on the MCAT you will be fine from a academic/numbers perspective.

The biggest red flag in your application is likely not going to be your grades, but your career hopping. You're going to need a really well articulated reason for both 'why medicine' and 'why medical school', particularly if you are planning on abandoning nursing so soon after having completed a degree in it.
This is a very strong point that I overlooked. Hopefully his officer appointment was for his law skills. OP should definitely drop nursing if medicine is the goal.