What are my chances for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueeyedprincess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed. Applying this cycle :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you have much of a chance at all with a 26, you should retake. Everything else seems solid though, but some non clinical volunteering would be good

I don't think you have much of a chance at all with a 26, you should retake. Everything else seems solid though, but some non clinical volunteering would be good
Thanks. What do you think are my chances with a DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than the MCAT, you're golden, but that 26 will keep you out of all MD + a few DO schools. Still, you have a good chance to get in to at least one DO program if you apply broadly.

Other than the MCAT, you're golden, but that 26 will keep you out of all MD + a few DO schools. Still, you have a good chance to get in to at least one DO program if you apply broadly.
Thanks! I'm also applying with a statement of disadvantage. Will that be of any help? And do you think I'll do better retaking the MCAT in January?

Thanks! I'm also applying with a statement of disadvantage. Will that be of any help?

Not with a 26, especially because you're not a URM and live in the Seventh Ring of Premed Hell (California).

And do you think I'll do better retaking the MCAT in January?

By "low 30s" do you mean like 30-31 or 32-33? But I think you could do better, yes.

Not with a 26, especially because you're not a URM and live in the Seventh Ring of Premed Hell (California).

By "low 30s" do you mean like 30-31 or 32-33? But I think you could do better, yes.

Like 30-31. Thank you. Any suggestions for how to continue studying? I took a Princeton Review course and did all the practice they had. I'm thinking of doing some Berkeley Review but no idea how to raise my verbal other than doing more practice. Sciences seem fine, just need to get physics down.

Like 30-31. Thank you. Any suggestions for how to continue studying? I took a Princeton Review course and did all the practice they had. I'm thinking of doing some Berkeley Review but no idea how to raise my verbal other than doing more practice. Sciences seem fine, just need to get physics down.

1) Work on everything, not just verbal. You are probably more likely to raise every subsection by 1 than VR by 2. Berkeley Review will help with that, particularly with PS. A 10/8/11 will get you into pretty much any DO program at least.

2) For Verbal, you might want to look into something like Kaplan, just because their strategies may help you. People crap on Kaplan on SDN but their strategies are pretty good for Verbal. Don't know anyone who used Kaplan who got a low VR score.

3) Read a lot of tough articles and try to analyze them, just to get familiar with humanities/social science writing styles, etc.

1) Work on everything, not just verbal. You are probably more likely to raise every subsection by 1 than VR by 2. Berkeley Review will help with that, particularly with PS. A 10/8/11 will get you into pretty much any DO program at least.

2) For Verbal, you might want to look into something like Kaplan, just because their strategies may help you. People crap on Kaplan on SDN but their strategies are pretty good for Verbal. Don't know anyone who used Kaplan who got a low VR score.

3) Read a lot of tough articles and try to analyze them, just to get familiar with humanities/social science writing styles, etc.

Thank you so much. I have to read plenty for a Religious Studies class this quarter, so hopefully that helps. How much time do you think I should commit to studying now? I have to balance with classes and volunteering so it's kind of tough. During summer, I averaged about 40hrs/week of studying for 2.5 months.