What are my chances for med school? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

woodca3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your cGPA and sGPA?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances are fine as long as your cGPA and sGPA total up to a decent enough number. Don't stress a couple Cs.

My cGPA right now is 3.629, and my sGPA is 3.355 right now (before my sciences this semester). That's what I'm worried about. I know med schools look at Organic, and I didn't do well in either of them :(

Your sGPA is a little low for MD. Gap year could be a good idea if you're set on MD and don't want to consider DO. That way you have 3 semesters to raise it. If you do really well on the MCAT and have a good ECs, I think you could still have a shot.

So even if I have an upward trend (all of my C's were freshman/sophomore year, is that taken into consideration? My parents got divorced my freshman year, and I had a difficult time with that, so I've kind of given myself a break on those 2 C's I made then, but I just was not good at organic... Should I retake them my senior year if I get a chance? Or I guess I could even retake Bio 101 and 102?

Upward trends are always viewed favorably. Don't forget to ace the MCAT!

So even if I have an upward trend (all of my C's were freshman/sophomore year, is that taken into consideration? My parents got divorced my freshman year, and I had a difficult time with that, so I've kind of given myself a break on those 2 C's I made then, but I just was not good at organic... Should I retake them my senior year if I get a chance? Or I guess I could even retake Bio 101 and 102?

This applicant has kind of a recurring "splitting" trend where they get As and Cs with very few Bs between them. Is a "splitter" worse off than a student with more Bs but the same cGPA?

Reactions: 1 user
My cGPA right now is 3.629, and my sGPA is 3.355 right now (before my sciences this semester). That's what I'm worried about. I know med schools look at Organic, and I didn't do well in either of them :(
We don't care more about organic than other classes. Some may care less.

This applicant has kind of a recurring "splitting" trend where they get As and Cs with very few Bs between them. Is a "splitter" worse off than a student with more Bs but the same cGPA?
If we compared applicants to each other, we would probably have opinions on splitting vs middling. Since we don't, there isn't really much difference.

We don't care more about organic than other classes. Some may care less.
Do you recommend me retaking any of the classes I made C's in? (Biol 101, 102 or the 2 Organic Chemistries)? I know that both will still count on my GPA, but I don't know that it will make a difference if I retake it.

Do you recommend me retaking any of the classes I made C's in? (Biol 101, 102 or the 2 Organic Chemistries)? I know that both will still count on my GPA, but I don't know that it will make a difference if I retake it.
As long as your overall and science gpa's are acceptable and you mastered enough content to do well on the MCAT, A's in upper division Bio or Biochem would probaby be more useful.