What are my chances for texas medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatfox210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Happy holidays! Anyways I was wondering what you guys think of my chances of getting accepted into Texas medical schools (Yes, I am a resident of Texas).
My GPA is 3.22 (but I have one more semester and my last 60 hours have a GPA of easily 3.5+)
I got a 514 on the MCAT and although I have only a moderate amount of volunteer hours, I have TONS of shadowing experience and plan to get a job soon as a scribe.
What do you guys think? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I am in Texas too. Lol. Being a scribe is a good thing for medical school app. I have a friend, he started working as a scribe last year and he applied to med schools this year! He said that he learned a lot when he was actually in the field and worked with doctors
Goodluck!

I think that the scribe job will help round out your application unless it gets in the way of your last semester's grades. You should do more non-clinical volunteering, it will seriously strengthen your application given your low GPA (unless you want to apply to DO?). Maybe you need to take a gap year to do some volunteering given that non-clinical volunteering in your final semester of college will seem like application filler material and might not be regarded as sincere by adcoms (although you should still volunteer ASAP, I think, and not necessarily wait until a gap year). Focus on building relationships to make strong LORs and crafting your PS. Otherwise, your MCAT sounds awesome and there are lots of schools in Texas, so good luck!

Hello all,
Happy holidays! Anyways I was wondering what you guys think of my chances of getting accepted into Texas medical schools (Yes, I am a resident of Texas).
My GPA is 3.22 (but I have one more semester and my last 60 hours have a GPA of easily 3.5+)
I got a 514 on the MCAT and although I have only a moderate amount of volunteer hours, I have TONS of shadowing experience and plan to get a job soon as a scribe.
What do you guys think? Any advice? Thanks in advance!
What is your BCPM (science) GPA?