What are my chances getting into UK MED?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reyaz01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, i'm an international student coming from Trinidad and Tobago. I wrote CAPE/CSEC and have been involved many cocurricular activities as well work experience as a first aid officer. My GPA is 3.50 (encompassing all subjects). Specifically, Biology: 3.8 GPA, Chemistry: 3.5 GPA. I am also pursuing a Tertiary Level course in Biology Chemsitry & Physics with the GPA currently at 3.6.
I do not know how to calculate the A-Level Equivalent since there are no stipulations available to do so. However the CAPE/CXC courses does offer conversion to GPA system, so the values are quoted in GPA.

Please help me, will I even be considered for entry into Medical Schools in the UK?
I was planning to apply to the following A100 courses:
University of Leicester
University of Newcastle (Durham Campus)
University of Peninsula
University of Sheffield

Do I have a fighting chance or should I not bother? Need some advice desperately.

Members don't see this ad.

You should e-mail each school individually to ask whether or not your grades are translatable.

Jonathan

You should e-mail each school individually to ask whether or not your grades are translatable.

Jonathan

I'm going through with UCAS, and they allow you to apply using my grades. But i was really just trying to get feedback whether those GPA's or generally someone with those GPA's are candidates for medschool. Thanks for your quick replyy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going through with UCAS, and they allow you to apply using my grades. But i was really just trying to get feedback whether those GPA's or generally someone with those GPA's are candidates for medschool. Thanks for your quick replyy!!

If you ask the med schools they will be able to tell you that! No one else will!

Reyaz,

I got into the A100 program at the Durham campus of Newcastle and some other schools as an international student. My acceptance was conditional on my maintaining a 3.2 GPA so I would say that your GPA is pretty competitive. However, most UK schools require that you complete the ukcat or bmat. And so your chances would depend on how you do on those. They didnt make a big deal on UK A levels and such for me.

I would also recommend contacting the schools and asking them. Hope this helps!

Reyaz,

I got into the A100 program at the Durham campus of Newcastle and some other schools as an international student. My acceptance was conditional on my maintaining a 3.2 GPA so I would say that your GPA is pretty competitive. However, most UK schools require that you complete the ukcat or bmat. And so your chances would depend on how you do on those. They didnt make a big deal on UK A levels and such for me.

I would also recommend contacting the schools and asking them. Hope this helps!

thank you thank you thank you!!!! that helps loadsss! By the way are you a degree student or are the GPAs you quoted are from AP classes (grade11/12) like mine?

No I should have a degree my the time I enter med school so your gpa requirement may likely be different from mine. Btw, why do you prefer the Durham campus over the Newcastle one?

No I should have a degree my the time I enter med school so your gpa requirement may likely be different from mine. Btw, why do you prefer the Durham campus over the Newcastle one?

Also, you haven't said where you are from! Education is totally different in different countries, a GPA of 3.2 in one might be equivalent of a 4.0 in another! Our standards of education are very high, if your GPA is only ok in your home country it is likely to not be enough but just ask the med schools, it's really not that hard, send an email!