What are my chances? Help with school list please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member4545

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it dumb of me to be applying with these stats? If not, which schools?
  • OK resident
  • 3.97 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA; Summa cum laude
  • 28 MCAT – 11/8/9
  • 100+ shadowing hours
  • School committee LOR
  • DO LOR & MD LOR
  • CNA and medical receptionist (~1200 hrs)
  • Volunteer at hospital ~500 hrs
  • Currently working toward yoga instructor certification and working as adjunct bio lab professor
  • Senior research w/ oral presentation

Members don't see this ad.

When do you plan to apply? If you are applying next summer you would be competitive for almost all DO schools and your state MD schools as well as low tier MD schools.

I'm actually applying now. I submitted my AMCAS 8/16 and am still waiting for verification and I submitted my AACOMAS today.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be competitive for both your state MD and DO schools. For MD consider applying to schools such as Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Creighton, St. Louis, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, New York Medical College, Drexel, Jefferson and Temple. For DO choose 5 or 6 schools wherever in the country you would like to live. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have 2/3 chance for a MD acceptance with your stats and your odds are probably greater than that if you apply broadly to MD schools.

So even with my MCAT of 28, you think I may have a chance at MD? I had all of your suggested schools on my list except Drexel, which I just added!
Thank you for your advice. I truly appreciate it!

Yes, MD is possible. In one recent year, according to MSAR, 350 Oklahoma residents applied to University of Oklahoma College of Medicine and 260 were interviewed and 140 matriculated. Approximately 170 were accepted to fill those 140 positions. So half of Oklahoma resident applicants received an acceptance. The median MCAT was 30 for matriculated students so you are within their range. You would also be considered for an interview at some of the OOS private schools I mentioned.