MD What are my chances, kind folks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clevelandrocks23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all! I am a post-baccalaureate student residing in Cleveland, OH with a degree in psychology, and am looking for any thoughts on other schools worth adding to the list based on stats/whatnot. Without further ado, here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.82

sGPA: 3.9 (4.0 post-bacc)

MCAT: 515 (130,127,129,129)

Clinical volunteer: ~150 hours (3 hrs/wk) volunteering as an Emergency Department liaison (ongoing), ~75 hours at a free clinic (1.5 hrs/wk)

Physician shadowing: Family medicine ~130 hrs (13 hrs/wk, spread across 3 doctors), 50 hrs Gastroenterology (10 hrs/wk), 50 hrs Consult Psychiatry (10 hrs/wk), 30 hrs PICU (10 hrs/wk)

Research: Undergraduate -- Conducted research project for senior honors thesis (topic was cognitive psychology) and presented at poster session; Post-bacc -- volunteered as a lab assistant for a lab studying colon cancer epidemiology

Nonclinical volunteer -- Crisis Hotline Representative ~150 hrs (10 hrs/wk),

Employment -- Team Leader at local ice cream shop (20 hrs/wk), Kaplan Campus Representative (10 hrs/wk), currently employed as group Supplemental Instructor/Peer Tutor for Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and General Chemistry for school's Tutoring Center (40 hrs/wk). I have been working at my current job for roughly two years now, and I just interviewed with Kaplan for an MCAT tutoring position.

Other: Vice President/President for Post-Bacc school's American Medical Student Association chapter

My school list is as follows:

Albert Einstein, Yeshiva
Alpert Medical School
Case Western Reserve University (extensive connections, father is alumnus/grandfather was a dean)
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (father is associate professor)
Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh
Mayo Clinic
NEOMED
Rosalind Franklin University
Ohio State University
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
University of Cincinnati

I have submitted all secondaries except for Albert Einstein (received today) and NEOMED. I am unsure as to what impact alumni connections/school connections have these days, but I figured I should include them for details' sake.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're golden. Why are you doing a post-bacc with a 3.82/3.9 though? Did you not finish your pre-reqs on time?

Know that unless you went to Brown it is extremely difficult to even get an II there. (Favors Brown undergrads heavily, plus reserved PLME spots).

You're golden. Why are you doing a post-bacc with a 3.82/3.9 though? Did you not finish your pre-reqs on time?

Thank you so much for the reply! I decided partway through my junior year that I wanted to pursue medicine as opposed to a career in psychology. Doing prerequisites at my undergraduate institution would have put me largely in debt, so I went back home and enrolled at the local state school to finish up. I guess in that sense I'm a non-traditional non-traditional :p.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U VM

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).

Good afternoon all! I am a post-baccalaureate student residing in Cleveland, OH with a degree in psychology, and am looking for any thoughts on other schools worth adding to the list based on stats/whatnot. Without further ado, here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.82

sGPA: 3.9 (4.0 post-bacc)

MCAT: 515 (130,127,129,129)

Clinical volunteer: ~150 hours (3 hrs/wk) volunteering as an Emergency Department liaison (ongoing), ~75 hours at a free clinic (1.5 hrs/wk)

Physician shadowing: Family medicine ~130 hrs (13 hrs/wk, spread across 3 doctors), 50 hrs Gastroenterology (10 hrs/wk), 50 hrs Consult Psychiatry (10 hrs/wk), 30 hrs PICU (10 hrs/wk)

Research: Undergraduate -- Conducted research project for senior honors thesis (topic was cognitive psychology) and presented at poster session; Post-bacc -- volunteered as a lab assistant for a lab studying colon cancer epidemiology

Nonclinical volunteer -- Crisis Hotline Representative ~150 hrs (10 hrs/wk),

Employment -- Team Leader at local ice cream shop (20 hrs/wk), Kaplan Campus Representative (10 hrs/wk), currently employed as group Supplemental Instructor/Peer Tutor for Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and General Chemistry for school's Tutoring Center (40 hrs/wk). I have been working at my current job for roughly two years now, and I just interviewed with Kaplan for an MCAT tutoring position.

My school list is as follows:

Albert Einstein, Yeshiva
Alpert Medical School
Case Western Reserve University (extensive connections, father is alumnus/grandfather was a dean)
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (father is associate professor)
Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh
Mayo Clinic
NEOMED
Rosalind Franklin University
Ohio State University
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
University of Cincinnati

I have submitted all secondaries except for Albert Einstein (received today) and NEOMED. I am unsure as to what impact alumni connections/school connections have these days, but I figured I should include them for details' sake.

I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U VM

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).

Wow Goro, what a thorough list! Thank you very much!

Excellent application. You have some big names on there, which is okay, but maybe it would be safer to add a few more realistic options. Definitely add Wright State and Toledo.

Look into: Rochester, SLU, BU, Rush, Loyola

Thank you, Banco! Good call re: the other state schools and I shall certainly look into the other ones!

Youll want all Ohio schools. Those serve as solid safeties. Throw in some OOS lower tiers and the rest of your list is at your discretion(although I would stick to the reaches on Goro's list).

Last edited: