what are my chances low 20's MCAT, cgpa 3.3, sgpa 3.1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam475

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my scores back recently and I did worse.
My first MCAT: 21 (8V, 7P, 6B) sept 2013
Second MCAT 22 (9V, 7P, 6B) April 2014
Third MCAT 20. (5V, 7P, 8B) Dec 2014
My sgpa is 3.1 and cGPA is 3.3. I have re-taken 6 classes to get to this GPA.
I have great LOR, volunteer experience (two under served clinics, multiple volunteer positions at major hospital)
I also have been working as a research assistant for one year in clinical trials.
I am currently 24, what are my chances of getting into DO schools.
I know for some DO schools they will take your best section from each test, which would mean I would have a score of 24, (9V, 7P, 8B). Should I just apply to those schools that do this type of MCAT scoring?
What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll tell you what my pre-med advisors told me before I applied. They said that for people who meet the following criteria, 100% will get in, usually in their first application cycle. People who don't quite meet the criteria may still get in, but they would have to brush up all the other areas of their application.

GPA of 3.75+
MCAT of at least a 9 in each section
500 hours of volunteering
500 hours of medical experience
At least one international experience (could be a service trip, vacation, study abroad, etc)
Research experience
Apply to at least 15 schools (count all the UCs as one if you're a California resident)

This advice was meant to be applied to both MD and DO schools. I know DO schools will accept a wider range of MCAT and GPAs than MDs, but I don't think it would be more than a point on each section. Another thing my advisors told me is to only retake the MCAT if you can do significantly better (at least 3 points). The fact that you've taken it 3 times with no overall improvement will probably be seen as a red flag to med schools. Also, the fact that you had to retake so many classes to get your current GPA will also be a red flag. I know many med schools will use both the first grade and the second grade in the calculation of GPA, unlike your undergrad institution.

In complete honesty, I think your chances of getting in with these stats are low. Generally the solution for a low undergrad GPA is to do a post bacc program. However, you must be able to get stellar grades in the program to show the schools that you've improved. If you don't think that you'll do significantly better in a post bacc than in undergrad, I don't think this would be an effective strategy. Otherwise, work on all the other parts of your application. Get way more than 500 hours of volunteering and med experience, and make a meaningful contribution to several research projects.

This is all the advice I have. Good luck.

Your best chances will be with the newest DO schools.

Be aware that poor MCAT performance is a risk factor for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

If you have test taking anxiety or trouble with standardized testing, get that fixed before seriously thinking about applying. We're addicted to standardized tests in med school.

I have great LOR, volunteer experience (two under served clinics, multiple volunteer positions at major hospital)
I also have been working as a research assistant for one year in clinical trials.
I know for some DO schools they will take your best section from each test, which would mean I would have a score of 24, (9V, 7P, 8B). Should I just apply to those schools that do this type of MCAT scoring?
What are my chances?

What are my chances?
try Burrell COM (new school, this will be your BEST shot), WVSOM, LUCOM, LMU, WCU, VCOM-Auburn, PNWU, and ACOM.