MD & DO What are my chances? Low GPA (2.9 or so) Low MCAT (23), nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCotty2fast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-28 y/o male

Just retook the MCAT in January 2015, scored a 23.
Prior MCAT's were in 2007 and 2008 (25, 25)
cGPA is around 2.9-3.0

Graduated college in 2008- UCSD B.S. Biology,
Graduated Masters in Public Health (epidemiology and biostatistics - dual focus) in 2012 .

-Research experience:
-1 year neuroimmunology lab
-1.5 year working in pharmaceutical industry (drug safety)
-3+ years doing clinical/public health research, FT paid researcher for past 3 yrs.
-6 posters/presentations/abstract pubs in clinical G.I work
-2 poster/presentation/abstract in public health work
-2 manuscripts in GI research submitted, with high chance of acceptance
-2 manuscripts in public health research submitted, 1 accepted, 1 awaiting revision.

I feel like I am in that auto reject category, but I wanted some advice on what you think would be the best course of action (retake new mcat, apply carribean, try MD/DO..)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend grade replacement and try DO.

Thank you, I just checked this out.. seems like a good idea. Do you know if it would be possible to get into DO in CA after retaking ochem sequence and a couple other classes? (ochem destroyed my gpa)

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the details.. SMP seems like a good option as well, are there any you can recommend? I know some tend to favor underrepresented minorities..

Thank you, I just checked this out.. seems like a good idea. Do you know if it would be possible to get into DO in CA after retaking ochem sequence and a couple other classes? (ochem destroyed my gpa)
Both CA DO schools employ grade replacement but I have been told that their median MCAT scores are a bit higher than yours.

Reactions: 1 user

By the way, as far as the Caribbean schools, I have only looked into SGU. I know 2 people in the last 4 years that have graduated from Ross (cousin and best friend), both are currently in Radiology residency (NY and MI).

I can't recommend these schools to the OP, as he would most probably be autoscreened out by the, Touro-CA is at the top of the heap, MCAT score-wise, among the COMs.

OP needs to retake MCAT, but not until all deficits are fixed. grade replacement and/or SMP will fix GPA.

Don't go Carib unless you want to be unemployed and deeply in debt. I know Lotto winners too, but I won't play the Lotto.

Both CA DO schools employ grade replacement but I have been told that their median MCAT scores are a bit higher than yours.

Reactions: 2 users
By the way, as far as the Caribbean schools, I have only looked into SGU. I know 2 people in the last 4 years that have graduated from Ross (cousin and best friend), both are currently in Radiology residency (NY and MI).
The chance of matching at all from the Caribbean is less than 50%, even after all the attrition and repeats in the first two years.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't recommend these schools to the OP, as he would most probably be autoscreened out by the, Touro-CA is at the top of the heap, MCAT score-wise, among the COMs.

OP needs to retake MCAT, but not until all deficits are fixed. grade replacement and/or SMP will fix GPA.

Don't go Carib unless you want to be unemployed and deeply in debt. I know Lotto winners too, but I won't play the Lotto.

I'm very interested in SMP, any you can recommend? Thanks.