What are my chances? (Low GPA) Be honest.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennaWr

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this September to hopefully enroll in the Fall of 2017.

Right now I have a 3.0 overall and I'm staying an extra semester at my University in the fall to finish up my B.S in Biology. So I'll be applying with what I have now and sending in the rest later. Part of the reason my GPA is so low is because I have an F on my transcript from a 200 level computer science course that I struggled with so much and missed the drop deadline. I've since switched my major back to Biology. My overall "BIO GPA" is 3.12. I see people on here talking about their "science GPA" but I'm not sure how to calculate that, which courses do I include? My "pre-req" GPA is around a 3.3 including bio, chem, physics, writing, etc. I'm also a little concerned because the schools I'm applying to require a C or better for prereqs, and I got a C- in gen chem 2. With this ruin my shot?

Last summer I worked with an optometry company that works in nursing homes and this summer I plan to be an optometric assistant at my local eye doctors office. I'm going to get recommendation letters from 2 optometrists I've worked with plus my guidance counselor at school.

I'm also scheduled to take the OAT this August and I plan to get at least 350 in each category. I'm applying to SUNY, NECO, Salus and MCPHS because I live in NY and don't want to travel too far.

Any thoughts or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would honestly retake any classes that you got Cs in just to show that you can handle the course load. I would specifically retake gen chem 2 because a C- would not make the C cut off unfortunately, but you could check in with universities to see what they say. My genuine advice would be to kill the OAT and keep in touch with admissions!

also apply as soon as possible to help your chances

I'm applying this September to hopefully enroll in the Fall of 2017.

Right now I have a 3.0 overall and I'm staying an extra semester at my University in the fall to finish up my B.S in Biology. So I'll be applying with what I have now and sending in the rest later. Part of the reason my GPA is so low is because I have an F on my transcript from a 200 level computer science course that I struggled with so much and missed the drop deadline. I've since switched my major back to Biology. My overall "BIO GPA" is 3.12. I see people on here talking about their "science GPA" but I'm not sure how to calculate that, which courses do I include? My "pre-req" GPA is around a 3.3 including bio, chem, physics, writing, etc. I'm also a little concerned because the schools I'm applying to require a C or better for prereqs, and I got a C- in gen chem 2. With this ruin my shot?

Last summer I worked with an optometry company that works in nursing homes and this summer I plan to be an optometric assistant at my local eye doctors office. I'm going to get recommendation letters from 2 optometrists I've worked with plus my guidance counselor at school.

I'm also scheduled to take the OAT this August and I plan to get at least 350 in each category. I'm applying to SUNY, NECO, Salus and MCPHS because I live in NY and don't want to travel too far.

Any thoughts or advice?

I had a couple Cs and I got interviews almost everywhere I applied. Honestly if you do good on the OAT you should be fine for those schools except maybe SUNY. I got waitlisted at SUNY because of my science GPA which was similar to yours but I think If you got a pretty high OAT score you'd be fine. I'm from NY too :) let me know if you have any more questions my stats seem very similar to yours