What are my chances? MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful502

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm at a bit of a crossroad here. I've accepted that fact that I have to take the new MCAT which may not be such good news. A lot of my peers rushed to take the old MCAT because the course-work they are currently studying is based off the old MCAT. I am in the same boat. I'm under the old catalog so to graduate I have to take classes that are based of the old MCAT instead of the new one. I've been considering going into a PA program for awhile but just can't seem to make up my mind. What do you all suggest? Btw I'm a junior so I have to decide...GRE or MCAT lol

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't let a standardized test dictate the career path you choose. I too have to take the MCAT 2015 so we're in it together. Honestly, I don't think it should be a big issue which test your coursework is geared towards. At least at my school, Intro Bio (for example) is designed to provide you with a basic understanding of biology, not prepare you for the bio section of some test that people in the class may or may not take.

Reactions: 1 user
How many users do we have that are MDHopefuls?

Anyways, you should follow your passion. Forget the road for a minute, and see where you want to be after all schooling is done. Whatever that is, you should suck it up and do it because it'll be worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the positive feedback, I do appreciate it. I have a tendency to try and map out EVERYTHING to the very last detail and choose the best option. I have had a passion for medicine and helping others since I was a child. At the end of the day that is what makes me happy. I guess looking at the current situation for emerging doctors (astronomical student loan debt and rising malpractice insurance, not to mention the stress of the residency placement program) kind of stressed me out to say the least. I'll continue to do self-reflection and pick the best option for me. Thanks again!

I wouldn't let a standardized test dictate the career path you choose. I too have to take the MCAT 2015 so we're in it together. Honestly, I don't think it should be a big issue which test your coursework is geared towards. At least at my school, Intro Bio (for example) is designed to provide you with a basic understanding of biology, not prepare you for the bio section of some test that people in the class may or may not take.
I think my biggest fear was with the revamped psychology and sociology sections. I've talked to my peers and they were saying those sections on the test were near impossible for them. They haven't had extended coursework in those areas so they were being tested on subject matter they had never learned, yikes! And good luck with the MCAT (not sure if you're taking it soon), it sounds like you have a great attitude about it and I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park.

There should be review books for the new MCAT coming out. The trial section is hard because I didn't study for the material at all, but if you prepare for it beforehand, you stand a much better chance. You can always take a gap year if you feel that you need more time to prepare.

PA and MD are different degrees with different career paths. That should be the focus of your considerations, not what exam you have to take. If you truly feel unprepared, take the classes you need for 2015 (Biochem, psych/soc + old prereqs) and maybe take a Gap Year. Do your best do whatever you do well and not rushed or haphazardly.