What are my chances? MCAT 27 GPA 3.7 decent EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indvla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this gets asked a lot, but everything I've been reading is from a couple of years ago.http://dkmg2azsloi0e.cloudfront.net/sdnimages/icons/icon7.png

I attended this program for high school students where we can start college early (and take mostly science classes). I took a lot of my basic requirements there and left with a 3.78

My science GPA took a hit at my new school, and i had to retake O Chem (but I got an A). I graduated with a 3.67 (from that institution only, it didn't factor in my previous GPA)

I just finished taking biochemistry and am expecting an A

So GPA wise, I think I might be okay

I'm also working with/shadowing a physician and getting a lot of experience working with patients, learning about medications etc. I'm also doing research with them. I also had 4 yrs of research experience prior to this

However, I just took the MCAT for a second time and got a 27 composite (P-8, V-10, B-9), and I'm really nervous about that.

I know big schools are out for me, so I'm mainly focusing on low-tier MD and DO schools

What out of state schools are options for me? Any opinions on the Carribbean??

Members don't see this ad.

No need to go Caribbean. You'd get into a good amount of DO schools with your app. As far as MD goes, its really a reach with the 27 MCAT. Obviously, if you retake and got a 30+, you'd have a good shot, but even as it stands MD is not out of the question for you.

I don't think it would be a good idea to take the MCAT for a third time right?

I live in OH, and there are a couple of schools with averages in the high 20's, would those be options for me?

I'm in a similar position to you. My GPA is .1 lower for both cGPA and sGPA but my MCAT was 29 twice. I'm studying for the MCAT right now but it's a beast I don't want to retake if I don't have to