What are my chances ? (MD/DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to apply to MD/DO in the upcoming cycle. Is it possible for you guys to give me some feedback on my future application ?

GPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.6.

MCAT: 28 (VR 8, PS 11, BS 9).

Although there are currently no open spots for the Jan 2015 MCATs, should I start studying again and try to retake ? ( I think I will do better on the current exam with more practice, not sure if I want to take the risk on the new test though : ( ).

EC: 300+ hrs in a hospital, some shadowing experience (MDs), teaching health classes to prison inmates.

I went to a community college in southern California, finished my undergrad in Cal.

I have two major questions
1. how many MD schools should I apply to with my MCAT and GPA ?

2. I have had some experience shadowing surgeons in a teaching hospital from internship, do I need to look for other shadowing experiences again just for DOs ?

3. How many LORs do most DO schools require ? 3 ?

Much appreciated !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am looking to apply to MD/DO in the upcoming cycle. Is it possible for you guys to give me some feedback on my future application ?

GPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.6.

MCAT: 28 (VR 8, PS 11, BS 9).

Although there are currently no open spots for the Jan 2015 MCATs, should I start studying again and try to retake ? ( I think I will do better on the current exam with more practice, not sure if I want to take the risk on the new test though : ( ).

EC: 300+ hrs in a hospital, some shadowing experience (MDs), teaching health classes to prison inmates.

I went to a community college in southern California, finished my undergrad in Cal.

I have two major questions
1. how many MD schools should I apply to with my MCAT and GPA ?

2. I have had some experience shadowing surgeons in a teaching hospital from internship, do I need to look for other shadowing experiences again just for DOs ?

3. How many LORs do most DO schools require ? 3 ?

Much appreciated !

In answer to your first question, depends... I would look for schools with a median mcat of 31 or less (which I believe is about 25 schools), so there is definitely still a chance for MD. The better question is whether you would prefer being MD or DO.

2. I think for most DO programs, they require fairly extensive shadowing with a DO...

3. No idea

In answer to your first question, depends... I would look for schools with a median mcat of 31 or less (which I believe is about 25 schools), so there is definitely still a chance for MD. The better question is whether you would prefer being MD or DO.

2. I think for most DO programs, they require fairly extensive shadowing with a DO...

3. No idea

Thanks for the response ! regarding what I prefer....... I always left DO as an option since I interested in primary care or maybe psychiatry. The problem is that I did not tailor any of pre-med activities toward DO ( such as shadowing)..... I guess I should look for some shadowing experience with a DO in the next few months ?