MD & DO What are my chances? MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTAM_SF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for many months and I finally decided to join. And yes this is a typical thread asking you awesome people what the relative chances are to get into a program. Please go easy and thanks!

Status (Junior) -

MCAT - Not taken YET
3.2 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
Terrible sophmore year boasting a 2.9
Junior year underway with Fall semester being a 3.56 with mostly major classes and currently doing decent in Spring semester around a 3.4ish.

ECs - not too much
Intern at UCSF for Microbiology research for a few weeks in the summer (relative)
Various Clubs at university
20 Hours of volunteering but this is expected to rise drastically
Fluent in both English and Indonesian
Used to work as a student technician on campus for 7 months

What are the chances of getting into a DO/MD program assuming I can do decent on the MCAT which I am hoping for a 32 and an upward trend in GPA for this semester and proceeding semesters.

Any help would be great! :D

Members don't see this ad.

So your GPA so far will prevent you from applying currently (or should). Sadly, MD is probably out of reach already. However, taking advantage of grade replacement for DO (search grade repair/ replacement with DO), and then really spending a lot of time on that, then you have more of a chance.

An upward trend has to be more than a semester or two and it really should be more than 3.4. You should be looking for a few semesters of 4.0 to indicate an upward trend!Obviously a 2.9 soph year didn't put your GPAs where they are now! It seems you are just consistently a B student. You also didn't mention shadowing or clinical work. Both of these are needed before you apply. Imo you shouldn't apply this upcoming cycle. Continue to work hard for this year and all next year. Shoot for a 4.0 for the next 3 semesters. Work on your ECs in general and clinical stuff in particular! Plan on a gap year or two. Research the DO schools and their lovely grade replacement option. See where you are after graduation!

Members don't see this ad :)
I concur. You need to be acing your classes, now; B+'s aren't going to cut it.

if you're boning for the MD degree, acing a post-bac or SMP (plus an excellent MCAT) are needed.

So your GPA so far will prevent you from applying currently (or should). Sadly, MD is probably out of reach already. However, taking advantage of grade replacement for DO (search grade repair/ replacement with DO), and then really spending a lot of time on that, then you have more of a chance.

I concur. You need to be acing your classes, now; B+'s aren't going to cut it.

Are you talking about if OP just wants to go for MD programs? I was under the assumption that a B here and there for DO programs won't do any favors, but isn't horrible.

Correct and correct
Are you talking about if OP just wants to go for MD programs? I was under the assumption that a B here and there for DO programs won't do any favors, but isn't horrible.