What are my chances, military experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonnyDutch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, this is my first post but I've been stalking through these forums for quite some time now. I need some advice on how my stats are looking so far.

I'm currently a senior at the University of Central Florida double majoring in Biotechnology and Molecular and Microbiology. Prior to me transferring to UCF i attended a local community college, where I did...lets just say, average..I may have left that school with a basic sGPA of a 3.1.

In 2005 I was deployed with the U.S. Army to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. During my deployment time in Pakistan, I served with the Army on a humanitarian mission following the devastating earthquake in 2005. I was attached to the 212 M.A.S.H (medical unit) where I got first hand experience shadowing doctors, treating those in need in rural mountainous areas. This lasted for 2 months before I went back to the original mission in Iraq.

When I returned, I went back to the community college where I finished my pre-reqs. I got "B's" in most of my pre-req sciences. However, once I arrived at UCF my GPA went through the roof...the environment suited me better than the CC. Since my time at UCF (2 years) my UCF sGPA is now at a 3.8 with my overall UCF GPA at a 3.86. Im doing extensive independent research in a very well respected lab. I also mentor other undergrad students in the lab. It seems that I will be able to publish a paper prior to applying to medical school.

-Ive volunteer in the hospital emergency department 150 hrs
-shadowed many physicians 100 hrs (not including my time in Pakistan)
-At the age of 20 I was promoted to Sergeant and excelled in my leadership position.
-I've completed 8 years of military service with a final rank of Staff Sergeant
-many many many honors received during my time in the military
-Although my UCF sGPA and overall GPA is great, overall including CC sGPA is at 3.4 and overall GPA is at 3.56
-my letters of recommendation are not the generic kind, and they are very descriptive and personal
-English is my 3rd language, the others are Dutch and Papiamento
-Aside from the military, Ive lived abroad in Holland, and the Dutch Caribbean

I have not taken the MCAT as of yet. But I'd like to get some advice on how my chances are so far. I have realistic expectations, and I know that the IVY league is out of the question simply because my CC days. So lay it on me...let me know what you think.

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Catalystik. By the pre-reqs I mean the 2 semesters of chem, bio, physics, orgo. Ever since I started taking the upper level classes i.e. biochem,molecular cell biology 1-3, molecular biotechnology etc... my GPA has gone through the roof. I hope you are right :). Thanks again!