What are my chances? Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDO1111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a 25 yo white female residing in the state of FL. I am here for advice and input on how I may better my application. In order to have a better understanding, I will provide some detailed information about myself.

I did not speak English in HS, therefore I could not get stellar grades. Needed a year off to save up for college. Ended up attending a local community college in NY for a year and a half (3.11GPA). I then transferred to Binghamton University upstate, where I spent 2 semesters and withdrew the next (Fall 2012). I got 2B's, 3D's, and an F. Reason being, my mother (she raised me by herself and we moved to the US together) got very ill and I kept commuting back and forth while at BU (1.45GPA). She was diagnosed with multiple illnesses and I did not return to college for 2 full years. Since then, we moved to FL and I've been her primary caretaker all this time. I went back to college last fall, retook 5 classes (4.0GPA) and got my AA degree (and got diagnosed with skin cancer). I'm now at a major university here in FL with a current 3.5GPA, 3.0cGPA. My core science courses are still yet to be taken and have 2 years left with the schedule I have planned. With all calculations, the highest GPA I may attain is a 3.4 with only getting A's, which is not very rational.

I will consider DO schools and Optometry. I have a higher than average passion for medicine/healing and I will even consider the Caribbean. If I can get the interview, I will ace it. I'm classy and professional with lots of empathy/sympathy, compassion and a genuine story.

So far my EC's include:
Emergency Dept volunteer (7 months, 120 hours)
Level one trauma center patient transporter (full time for 5 months)
Vegan/Vegetarian/Animal Right's activist (7/2014-present)
American Red Cross (1/2014-present)
Planned Parenthood clinic volunteer (5/2015-present)
Local undeserved community clinic medical scribe (6/2015-present)

Other:
Summer Research Academy course at the university
HIPAA, BLS (CPR/AED) Certification
Bilingual (Eastern European)
Single parent home, not a single person in my family has education beyond HS
1 LOR (from a health development course)

I need shadowing, involvement at the unviersity, additional LOR's and a killer MCAT or OAT score. Maybe research too.

Any advice? What else can I include or work on?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake all F/D/C science coursework
Be more selfish. You can't run home every time your mom is sick when you're a med student.
Shadow a DO.
Keep doing as well as you're doing well right now, and you'll go far.

Tread easy on the animal right stuff. Your interviewers will include scientists, and they might very well be doing animal research.

Naturally, MCAT will make or break you. Being ESL, take special care with the VR section.

Hello,

I'm a 25 yo white female residing in the state of FL. I am here for advice and input on how I may better my application. In order to have a better understanding, I will provide some detailed information about myself.

I did not speak English in HS, therefore I could not get stellar grades. Needed a year off to save up for college. Ended up attending a local community college in NY for a year and a half (3.11GPA). I then transferred to Binghamton University upstate, where I spent 2 semesters and withdrew the next (Fall 2012). I got 2B's, 3D's, and an F. Reason being, my mother (she raised me by herself and we moved to the US together) got very ill and I kept commuting back and forth while at BU (1.45GPA). She was diagnosed with multiple illnesses and I did not return to college for 2 full years. Since then, we moved to FL and I've been her primary caretaker all this time. I went back to college last fall, retook 5 classes (4.0GPA) and got my AA degree (and got diagnosed with skin cancer). I'm now at a major university here in FL with a current 3.5GPA, 3.0cGPA. My core science courses are still yet to be taken and have 2 years left with the schedule I have planned. With all calculations, the highest GPA I may attain is a 3.4 with only getting A's, which is not very rational.

I will consider DO schools and Optometry. I have a higher than average passion for medicine/healing and I will even consider the Caribbean. If I can get the interview, I will ace it. I'm classy and professional with lots of empathy/sympathy, compassion and a genuine story.

So far my EC's include:
Emergency Dept volunteer (7 months, 120 hours)
Level one trauma center patient transporter (full time for 5 months)
Vegan/Vegetarian/Animal Right's activist (7/2014-present)
American Red Cross (1/2014-present)
Planned Parenthood clinic volunteer (5/2015-present)
Local undeserved community clinic medical scribe (6/2015-present)

Other:
Summer Research Academy course at the university
HIPAA, BLS (CPR/AED) Certification
Bilingual (Eastern European)
Single parent home, not a single person in my family has education beyond HS
1 LOR (from a health development course)

I need shadowing, involvement at the unviersity, additional LOR's and a killer MCAT or OAT score. Maybe research too.

Any advice? What else can I include or work on?

Thanks all!