What are my chances of being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.scully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I'm new to this thread but Ive been doing a lot of research as I am starting to panic about my application I will be submitting here in about a month. Everything I look up has be so psyched out about my chances. I know GPA isnt everything and a lot goes into deciding if a student is accepted or not but I was wondering if anyone on here had any personal experience or knew of people in similar situations who were successfully accepted. Anyway my overall GPA is 3.25 with a pre req GPA of 3.06. I took the OAT once this time last year and wasnt happy with my score so I chose not to apply with it. It was an AA of 290 and TS 300 (QR really bit me in the but) but Ive since then gotten the destroyer series as well as achiever and I am confident I will be able to improve that score. I also currently work with an optometrist and have had experience interning and shadowing for a summer. I was captain of a varsity sports team at the university (which was equivalent to a full time job with how little we were in class, which is why my GPA suffered a bit). I have participated in volunteer activities every year that I was in school such as walks for autism, helping at children's hospitals and such and am also a member of the National honor society

I keep seeing posts with people saying without a 3.4 you wont get looked at or without a 350 theres no chance. I even wonder if giving myself the extra time to study for my OAT and applying a bit later was a poor decision. Lacking confidence at the moment:( and any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that if a school has an incoming average GPA of say 3.3 that means people have been admitted with lower than that. also on the verge of crying because its almost february and Im waiting for my letters of recommendation in order to submit my primary application. did i screw myself over
thanks all in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll get in with a strong OAT. Do you want to apply this cycle? It's getting kinda late.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get in with a strong OAT. Do you want to apply this cycle? It's getting kinda late.
thats my other major concern, and im starting to panic about that as well. i have all my apps on OptomCAS completed, just waiting for a transcript to come in and my letters and then i know i can apply and have my scores sent to them later. anyway, ive seen very few success stories but they are out there about applications in february. i know the deadline is in april. i just realized that people mostly apply in july so i know i really screwed up but i was hoping i would still have a chance for this cycle

thats my other major concern, and im starting to panic about that as well. i have all my apps on OptomCAS completed, just waiting for a transcript to come in and my letters and then i know i can apply and have my scores sent to them later. anyway, ive seen very few success stories but they are out there about applications in february. i know the deadline is in april. i just realized that people mostly apply in july so i know i really screwed up but i was hoping i would still have a chance for this cycle. i emailed admissions today asking if i can go ahead and submit my application without the pending letters of recommendation. i havent gotten a reply yet

thats my other major concern, and im starting to panic about that as well. i have all my apps on OptomCAS completed, just waiting for a transcript to come in and my letters and then i know i can apply and have my scores sent to them later. anyway, ive seen very few success stories but they are out there about applications in february. i know the deadline is in april. i just realized that people mostly apply in july so i know i really screwed up but i was hoping i would still have a chance for this cycle

Yeah I mean if you don't mind paying the money for the process, might as well give it a shot.

Honestly I've seen posts of people with worse stats than you get in. You really only need a 300 on the OAT to be considered, although obviously higher is better especially if your GPA is on the low end.
If you apply to the schools that have lower average GPA and OAT acceptances you'll probably get in.

Honestly I've seen posts of people with worse stats than you get in. You really only need a 300 on the OAT to be considered, although obviously higher is better especially if your GPA is on the low end.
If you apply to the schools that have lower average GPA and OAT acceptances you'll probably get in.
Yeah, like i said, I'm confident that I will get a 300 or higher on this retake coming up. The problem is that its so late in the cycle and I didnt realize how big of an effect that seems to have so im scared Ive ruined what chances I did have waiting so long to make sure everything was perfect. I went into my eye doctor today that i have been working with to ask his opinion and he said that he applied in late february to early march and got in and that it wont be as big of a problem as Im making it, said that they have like "blocks" so to speak of chunks of people they accept at various times in the cycle. So earlier is obviously better but he recommended that I go ahead and apply now. any thoughts on this?

I would apply now if I were you. I literally saw an interview group of about 8 people at my school today. There's got to be a fair number of open spots. This isn't going to be exclusive to just my school either.

Also keep in mind that the people on this forum are generally the over achieving type, so don't the norm here to be the norm of all applicants

I would apply now if I were you. I literally saw an interview group of about 8 people at my school today. There's got to be a fair number of open spots. This isn't going to be exclusive to just my school either.

Also keep in mind that the people on this forum are generally the over achieving type, so don't the norm here to be the norm of all applicants
I submitted my optomCAS yesterday without a transcript that was requested a few days ago. I am planning on calling on Monday to have another transcript over nighted to get there as soon as possible. Assuming that it gets processed in two weeks at optomCAS, that means the school with get my application around the 13 when my test score will also be sent. Maybe this is hopeful thinking but Im really hoping for that time line. I can submit the secondary application the day they send it to me and hopefully i can at least be given a chance to be on a waiting list

And i do noticed the overachieving trend and its a bit intimidating i must say. I have learned from my mistakes and next year I will get my application in in July, I had no idea people here considered November to be late let alone February :(. I think depressed and hopeless is an understatement that i might have wasted a whole year just because i missed the memo on applying late. I assumed April 1st deadline meant that Id have an equal chance if I get it in before then. Anyway, everyone including my eye doctor is telling me not to give up and get it in anyway and stay positive, Very hard for me do that right now considering i talked to admissions and they said there are 105 seats left and hoping to fill them by mid february. Dont know if my application will even be in my then

Last edited:
@dr.scully Woah 105 seats like of all schools combined?
@PrettyOD No the one school I called has 105 left as of yesterday. Woah as in that's a lot? do I have some tiny bit of a chance?

my eye doctor was telling me 105 sounds like a good shot to him. like theres alot of room left

Last edited:
@dr.scully Ohhhh for just one school. What school is that? And I think you can pull a 300 easy. That's all you really need. When're you taking the OAT? I would take it soon. A lot of school's deadlines are coming up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this is encouraging, but I submitted my application around the beginning of January (when most people might believe to be late). I was actually able to get an interview with the school of my choice.

I definitely implore you to not give up. I've been through similar feelings of dread and disappointment in myself for wasting time. I really hope all goes well with you and your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this is encouraging, but I submitted my application around the beginning of January (when most people might believe to be late). I was actually able to get an interview with the school of my choice.

I definitely implore you to not give up. I've been through similar feelings of dread and disappointment in myself for wasting time. I really hope all goes well with you and your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you still turned yours in before mine will be in. Its submitted but nothing has been verified and then secondary apps and all that stuff anyway that being said. i dont think ill actually have "submitted mine" until mid february. BUT hearing that from you means more than you even know. Ive been seeking just one person that has had success in a similar situation. You gave me a bit of hope =] thank you very much =]

Im sure you understand the feeling, but Ive been trying to study for my OAT (feb 13th) and since Ive realized how late my application is and how slim my chances are Ive been finding it hard to find the motivation to even study. Ive felt like just giving up and getting ready to do this again next year. I appreciate your input

@dr.scully Ohhhh for just one school. What school is that? And I think you can pull a 300 easy. That's all you really need. When're you taking the OAT? I would take it soon. A lot of school's deadlines are coming up!
@PrettyOD Yeah the deadline for the school Im applying to is April 1, which, i was under the impression that as long as everything was in by then Id have an equal chance. Sadly, I misunderstood and that is not the case. As I said, the school has told me that there is 105 sp0ts left and I intend to have my application in and verified by feb 13 which is my test date (ive submitted it but OptomCAS hasnt verified it since a transcript hasnt made it yet, I have sent one but I plan to call Monday to have my school overnight it). I also think I can pull a 300 being that I was so close last time and Ive worked with the destroyer and achiever (both have great reputations from what I hear). My only concern is if i will have a chance or will all the spots be taken =[

Oh and its Nova Southeastern btw

Hey everyone
I'm new to this thread but Ive been doing a lot of research as I am starting to panic about my application I will be submitting here in about a month. Everything I look up has be so psyched out about my chances. I know GPA isnt everything and a lot goes into deciding if a student is accepted or not but I was wondering if anyone on here had any personal experience or knew of people in similar situations who were successfully accepted. Anyway my overall GPA is 3.25 with a pre req GPA of 3.06. I took the OAT once this time last year and wasnt happy with my score so I chose not to apply with it. It was an AA of 290 and TS 300 (QR really bit me in the but) but Ive since then gotten the destroyer series as well as achiever and I am confident I will be able to improve that score. I also currently work with an optometrist and have had experience interning and shadowing for a summer. I was captain of a varsity sports team at the university (which was equivalent to a full time job with how little we were in class, which is why my GPA suffered a bit). I have participated in volunteer activities every year that I was in school such as walks for autism, helping at children's hospitals and such and am also a member of the National honor society

I keep seeing posts with people saying without a 3.4 you wont get looked at or without a 350 theres no chance. I even wonder if giving myself the extra time to study for my OAT and applying a bit later was a poor decision. Lacking confidence at the moment:( and any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that if a school has an incoming average GPA of say 3.3 that means people have been admitted with lower than that. also on the verge of crying because its almost february and Im waiting for my letters of recommendation in order to submit my primary application. did i screw myself over
thanks all in advance

Personally, I feel as though there is no harm in trying. If I were you, I would apply to all schools who still have their application live on OptomCAS. It is worth a shot! I applied to all my schools in November and thought that I was super late (which I kind of was) BUT I had far far FAR lower stats than most and I still got interviews and acceptances! One at NOVA actually. Make sure that you keep in close contact with the admissions offices; they love hearing from a familiar face that keeps in touch. You will be known by name and not just be "Applicant #295" you know? So, to wrap it up, keep in contact with the admissions offices and apply all over. I know it feels like you are late, however, I know of a few people who applied late, so I'm sure that this happens. Also know that you might hear back later in April when students have to put their final deposits down for schools. And I believe all students have to make a concrete decision and withdraw multiple acceptances by like May 15th or something.

Personally, I feel as though there is no harm in trying. If I were you, I would apply to all schools who still have their application live on OptomCAS. It is worth a shot! I applied to all my schools in November and thought that I was super late (which I kind of was) BUT I had far far FAR lower stats than most and I still got interviews and acceptances! One at NOVA actually. Make sure that you keep in close contact with the admissions offices; they love hearing from a familiar face that keeps in touch. You will be known by name and not just be "Applicant #295" you know? So, to wrap it up, keep in contact with the admissions offices and apply all over. I know it feels like you are late, however, I know of a few people who applied late, so I'm sure that this happens. Also know that you might hear back later in April when students have to put their final deposits down for schools. And I believe all students have to make a concrete decision and withdraw multiple acceptances by like May 15th or something.
@QtSami1 Thanks for your input! I appreciate all the support from everyone here! It means a lot to me! I will go ahead and submit everything and hope for the best. All of the advice is super helpful and much appreciated

Reactions: 1 user
@PrettyOD Yeah the deadline for the school Im applying to is April 1, which, i was under the impression that as long as everything was in by then Id have an equal chance. Sadly, I misunderstood and that is not the case. As I said, the school has told me that there is 105 sp0ts left and I intend to have my application in and verified by feb 13 which is my test date (ive submitted it but OptomCAS hasnt verified it since a transcript hasnt made it yet, I have sent one but I plan to call Monday to have my school overnight it). I also think I can pull a 300 being that I was so close last time and Ive worked with the destroyer and achiever (both have great reputations from what I hear). My only concern is if i will have a chance or will all the spots be taken =[

Oh and its Nova Southeastern btw

It's closer to the latter part of the application cycle, but it's really not that late! I had plenty of classmates who were accepted March-April.
If the admissions counselor mention that there are 105 seats left, that's more than the majority of spaces that are still available.
Make sure you rock the OAT because that definitely offsets a lower GPA. Once you get an interview, I'm sure your experience and strong passion for the career will shine through.

Don't be despaired while studying, but I think it's natural to have a little burn-out and complacency as test day approaches...I hit mine maybe 3 weeks before (coincidentally, I have worked both as an OAT tutor and at the admissions office).

Start planning out a consistent study schedule now, usually the panic of "oh ****, I need to buckle down with one week left and so many topics to cover" will happen and you don't want that to ruin all your hard work. Make sure you save a few practice tests toward the end to get the timing right.
You'll do great

Last edited:
It's closer to the latter part of the application cycle, but it's really not that late! I had plenty of classmates who were accepted March-April.
If the admissions counselor mention that there are 105 seats left, that's more than the majority of spaces that are still available.
Make sure you rock the OAT because that definitely offsets a lower GPA. Once you get an interview, I'm sure your experience and strong passion for the career will shine through.

Don't be despaired while studying, but I think it's natural to have a little burn-out and complacency as the test day approaches...I hit mine maybe 3 weeks before (coincidentally, I have worked both as an OAT tutor and at the admissions office).

Start planning out a consistent study schedule now, usually the panic of "ooh ****, I need to buckle down with one week left and so many topics to cover" doesn't throw off all your hard work. Make sure you save a few practice tests toward the end to get the timing right.
You'll do great
Thank you so much for your encouraging words and vote of confidence. I really appreciate hearing from someone who has worked in admissions. Definitely a point of view i needed to hear from. The counselor i spoke to made it seem as if i had no chance based on when my application would get in from OptomCAS

@PrettyOD No the one school I called has 105 left as of yesterday. Woah as in that's a lot? do I have some tiny bit of a chance?

my eye doctor was telling me 105 sounds like a good shot to him. like theres alot of room left

I think you might have misunderstood them. The class size at Nova is 105 and there's no way they have that many left!

I think you might have misunderstood them. The class size at Nova is 105 and there's no way they have that many left!

I have been accepted to NOVA and our class page on Facebook has about 59 people. I don't know if everyone has joined the class page, but if they have, that leaves about 40 more spots. I do know that NOVA offers over 200 acceptances though, because they double up on them. This is so that they fill seats and since they have a high number of seats, they know that some might deny them for other institutions. Maybe they were talking about how their incoming class size could be 105 seats? Or they plan on handing out over double the acceptances for their 40 remaining seats? I am not sure what the number 105 would be referring to.

I got in with a GPA of 3.2 so GPA is definitely not everything my OAT and volunteering helped my application (340TS/350AA) but I didn't have very much optometry shadowing and didn't work at a clinic. I still got interviews everywhere I applied. I have also heard of lots of people still getting in even sending their applications this late so I would give it a shot if I was in your place! Make sure you check schools cutoff dates for when you have to write the OAT if you are redoing it!

I got in with a GPA of 3.2 so GPA is definitely not everything my OAT and volunteering helped my application (340TS/350AA) but I didn't have very much optometry shadowing and didn't work at a clinic. I still got interviews everywhere I applied. I have also heard of lots of people still getting in even sending their applications this late so I would give it a shot if I was in your place! Make sure you check schools cutoff dates for when you have to write the OAT if you are redoing it!
Thank you! Really appreciative of your input!

I was in a similar situation, possibly a bit worse off. My GPA was a bit lower, got a solid 320 on TS and AA and was accepted and am now an OD student who's doing pretty well. Hang in there. I took the OAT twice, my first time I got a 290 TS and a 300 AA. I watched Chad's videos which definitely helped out for chem, ochem, and physics. As for bio, just go over any bio book or college notes and you should be fine. Good luck. let me know if you have questions.

I was in a similar situation, possibly a bit worse off. My GPA was a bit lower, got a solid 320 on TS and AA and was accepted and am now an OD student who's doing pretty well. Hang in there. I took the OAT twice, my first time I got a 290 TS and a 300 AA. I watched Chad's videos which definitely helped out for chem, ochem, and physics. As for bio, just go over any bio book or college notes and you should be fine. Good luck. let me know if you have questions.
Thank you! Very glad to hear that you were so successful! Gives me hope =] just keeping my fingers crossed that my application gets verified at OptomCAS asap and there will be seats available by then!

It's possible I did in which case my application won't even make it in in time for them to fill up

I have been accepted to NOVA and our class page on Facebook has about 59 people. I don't know if everyone has joined the class page, but if they have, that leaves about 40 more spots. I do know that NOVA offers over 200 acceptances though, because they double up on them. This is so that they fill seats and since they have a high number of seats, they know that some might deny them for other institutions. Maybe they were talking about how their incoming class size could be 105 seats? Or they plan on handing out over double the acceptances for their 40 remaining seats? I am not sure what the number 105 would be referring to.

Maybe I did misunderstand her, at this point I will try anyway but I hope your right that they double thier admissions for people who may drop. If she meant that they were 80% full of 105 possible seats, that only leaves 21 seats remaining

It's possible I did in which case my application won't even make it in in time for them to fill up
What most schools do is offer the number of positions they have available. After they've given out that amount they'll start wait listing people. As people decline and choose other schools they start pulling from the wait list. So don't get too discouraged! I've heard of people getting chosen off the wait list even a day before school starts!

What most schools do is offer the number of positions they have available. After they've given out that amount they'll start wait listing people. As people decline and choose other schools they start pulling from the wait list. So don't get too discouraged! I've heard of people getting chosen off the wait list even a day before school starts!
Fingers crossed! Thank you

Fingers crossed! Thank you
The actual class size for Nova is actually 104 (if you interview, you can ask Dr. B the story about 105)
Every school except some of the state schools (UCB, SUNY, UAB, etc) give about double the class size # of acceptances
Good luck!

Last edited:
The actual class size for Nova is actually 104 (if you interview, you can ask Dr. B the story about 105)
Every school except some of the state schools (UCB, SUNY, UAB, etc) give about double the class size # of acceptances
Good luck!
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I must have miss understood. I am also glad to hear about the number of acceptances they offer. Hoping for the best! =]

Just took my OAT and got
Bio 350
Chem 340
Organic 380
Reading 380
Physics 280
Math 320
TS 340
AA 340
Overall 84 percentile, a little disappointed in physics but hoping the average will balance it out
Hoping this will be enough! Thanks everyone for your help this far!

Anyone know if that 280 in physics is going to really hurt my chances considering the overall scores? I got a300 on my physics the first time around but ran out of time this time :( maybe they'll see my first score? Also all my scores except physics went up between 40-80 points from my last test, just really bummed out I did all that work and didn't break 300 in physics :/

Last edited:
Just took my OAT and got
Bio 350
Chem 340
Organic 380
Reading 380
Physics 280
Math 320
TS 340
AA 340
Overall 84 percentile, a little disappointed in physics but hoping the average will balance it out
Hoping this will be enough! Thanks everyone for your help this far!

Anyone know if that 280 in physics is going to really hurt my chances considering the overall scores? I got a300 on my physics the first time around but ran out of time this time :( maybe they'll see my first score? Also all my scores except physics went up between 40-80 points from my last test, just really bummed out I did all that work and didn't break 300 in physics :/

That's pretty good. did Nova get back to you yet?

That's pretty good. did Nova get back to you yet?
You don't think that physics score will hurt me too much?
No they haven't because Optomcas has still not verified my application, do you know anything about getting my scores to nova? I submitted them to my Optomcas application but do you know if I can bring nova the unofficial score report I got the day of as a replacement until my official scores get to them?

Hey dr.scully,
Two things: Don't worry too much about the scores. 280 was the average for physics this year. So that isn't that bad.
Secondly, here are some current NOVA stats:
Currently, there are 1751 applications in the OptomCas system (this is every single application they have record of for this year; some of these are fully completed, others are not).
Last year, the school had 1098 VERIFIED applications. They are expecting to match this number or go slightly higher for this year. This was a record for the school
Their goal is to reach the number of 104 entering students.
As of last counted, they have 81 completed deposits, BUT this is not final until April 1st, which is the deadline for the deposit.
(You pay 250 within the first two weeks of acceptance and then have until April 1st to complete the 750 remaining)
The average GPA for this season was 3.47 and science GPA 3.33.
The average OAT is 326 and total science was 324.

You're in that range! So I would just hope to be verified soon and complete the supplemental quickly. The quicker all of this is done, the more chance of a spot you have.

Hey dr.scully,
Two things: Don't worry too much about the scores. 280 was the average for physics this year. So that isn't that bad.
Currently, there are 1751 applications in the OptomCas system (this is every single application they have record of for this year; some of these are fully completed, others are not).
Last year, the school had 1098 VERIFIED applications. They are expecting to match this number or go slightly higher for this year. This was a record for the school
As of last counted, they have 81 completed deposits, BUT this is not final until April 1st, which is the deadline for the deposit.
(You pay 250 within the first two weeks of acceptance and then have until April 1st to complete the 750 remaining)

You're in that range! So I would just hope to be verified soon and complete the supplemental quickly. The quicker all of this is done, the more chance of a spot you have.
Thank you so much for all that information! Very helpful

Hey dr.scully,

How did you get these stats?

You have a great chance!
This means a lot coming from a student at nova, I was pleased with my scores minus physics so I'm hoping it's enough this late in the cycle considering the competition :)

This means a lot coming from a student at nova, I was pleased with my scores minus physics so I'm hoping it's enough this late in the cycle considering the competition :)
The only thing you have against you is the timing of it all-- about 18 seats left (Jan post was a month ago, and they've had interview dates since). If anything, I hope luck is on your side!

The only thing you have against you is the timing of it all-- about 18 seats left (Jan post was a month ago, and they've had interview dates since). If anything, I hope luck is on your side!
I suppose at this point I'm hoping to be put on a waiting list and being pulled when someone drops. And if nothing else I guess I'll be all set to reapply in June/ July although I'm really anxious to be in school so hopefully it won't come to that

I suppose at this point I'm hoping to be put on a waiting list and being pulled when someone drops. And if nothing else I guess I'll be all set to reapply in June/ July although I'm really anxious to be in school so hopefully it won't come to that
I've seen a few success stories of people getting accepted in March/April though I'm sure they are few and far between, I'm hoping to be one of those lol keeping my hopes up that Optomcas will verify my app by this time next week

does anyone if i call optomcas for a discrepancy that i found on my transcript portion of my application, will they change it for me over the phone since i cant unlock or change anything on my application? i accidentally had a class on there for my last semester i didnt take. also i didnt add credit hours or grades for my last 3 classes thinking that they do that for some reason. Needless to say i made a big mistake but if i call them will they help me with this so i can avoid the extra time it will take for them to return it to me and for me to get it back to them? i swear for some reason while i was filling it out, it wouldnt allow me to fill out grades for the courses so i assumed it was for them to do. but i was hoping if i called and asked them to delete the one class off and throw in the hours and grades for me that maybe they would be able to? is that a stretch?

optom just got verified!! wish me luck!

After Optomcas calculated my GPA my science overall went down from a 3.06 to a 2.98 and my overall stayed around a 3.21 previously a 3.25, do you think my OAT is strong enough to make up for this or will they ask me to take more sciences to bring it up? I was thinking of writing a personal statement explaining that I was an athlete and often not present for much of the lectures and in class credit due to travelling for games, how do you think this would reflect on me?

Last edited:
Your OAT score is good, so it will help a bit, but I can't say for sure. I actually got the same TS and AA and during my interview I started trying to explain why it was kind of low (because I was comparing myself to people on this forum) but the interviewer stopped me and said my OAT score was actually very good.
I would mention that you're an athlete in your personal statement, but maybe don't word it as "didn't attend many lectures". Just say it kept you busy and was time consuming or something