What are my chances of being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your OAT score is good, so it will help a bit, but I can't say for sure. I actually got the same TS and AA and during my interview I started trying to explain why it was kind of low (because I was comparing myself to people on this forum) but the interviewer stopped me and said my OAT score was actually very good.
I would mention that you're an athlete in your personal statement, but maybe don't word it as "didn't attend many lectures". Just say it kept you busy and was time consuming or something
I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum consider 340 average in some cases. I assume because we only see the very confident individuals posting their incredibly high scores. Im glad to heard that 340 is considered very good and I made sure I studied extra hard to bring that up knowing my GPA wasn't fabulous. Ive heard that OAT scores can kind of "carry" a subpar GPA and that's what Im hoping for. I did mention in my statement that being an athlete was time consuming and hopefully that will come through as well. Thank you for your help. I think I do get caught up in comparing myself on this website GPA and otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

Your OAT score is good, so it will help a bit, but I can't say for sure. I actually got the same TS and AA and during my interview I started trying to explain why it was kind of low (because I was comparing myself to people on this forum) but the interviewer stopped me and said my OAT score was actually very good.
I would mention that you're an athlete in your personal statement, but maybe don't word it as "didn't attend many lectures". Just say it kept you busy and was time consuming or something
Yeah I find myself very often comparing myself to people on this site and It's very depressing but I think you see the higher end of the stats with the more confident people being the ones who are posting Thier info, anyway, I was hoping my OAT would be enough to make up for my GPA because I thought that it may be lower once calculated so I really studying very hard for it, now I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to explain to them that my GPA may not be the best representation of my abilities due to my time as an athlete :/

@Qtsami @turtle2020 So I just received a call from Juan and I was wondering if you guys knew his position. Im asking because he was calling to say he noticed my optom was verified recently and wanted to make sure I got the link for secondaries. I mentioned that I had already sent them in and received a call saying they had all the materials needed for me to be officially reviewed. When I said that he mentioned pulling my application out for me so they could review it sooner and they could get an interview invitation out to me. Now Im nervous and don't want to get too excited cuz first of all and interview doesn't guarantee admissions and second its not an official invite. Not sure what connection he has to admission but I don't feel they would mention an interview to just anyone cuz that would be misleading? anyway he also told me the interview date would be march 9th. again. im getting excited but don't even know how serious all this is. He also reassured me that there are still seats available and he is confident that there will be some later even if I get put on a waiting list. Any thoughts? Im asking you guys cuz from what I understand you both go to nova?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Qtsami @turtle2020 So I just received a call from Juan and I was wondering if you guys knew his position. Im asking because he was calling to say he noticed my optom was verified recently and wanted to make sure I got the link for secondaries. I mentioned that I had already sent them in and received a call saying they had all the materials needed for me to be officially reviewed. When I said that he mentioned pulling my application out for me so they could review it sooner and they could get an interview invitation out to me. Now Im nervous and don't want to get too excited cuz first of all and interview doesn't guarantee admissions and second its not an official invite. Not sure what connection he has to admission but I don't feel they would mention an interview to just anyone cuz that would be misleading? anyway he also told me the interview date would be march 9th. again. im getting excited but don't even know how serious all this is. He also reassured me that there are still seats available and he is confident that there will be some later even if I get put on a waiting list. Any thoughts? Im asking you guys cuz from what I understand you both go to nova?
Hey Dr.Scully,

I feel like if Juan contacted you, that is a good sign for an interview. Of course, nothing is certain, but those at Nova Optometry are usually very optimistic to students! They wouldn't mislead you. Juan is an admissions officer for Nova Optometry. He basically is the link between our applications entering the door and being placed on the table of the Admissions Committee. He makes sure that we have all our materials in order and other things of that nature. Him and Elizabeth are the two main people in the office who are our primary link to the school as prospective students. Keep your chin up! This is a good sign!! They should send you a supplemental and then after that you will hear about interviews through an official email

Hey Dr.Scully,

I feel like if Juan contacted you, that is a good sign for an interview. Of course, nothing is certain, but those at Nova Optometry are usually very optimistic to students! They wouldn't mislead you. Juan is an admissions officer for Nova Optometry. He basically is the link between our applications entering the door and being placed on the table of the Admissions Committee. He makes sure that we have all our materials in order and other things of that nature. Him and Elizabeth are the two main people in the office who are our primary link to the school as prospective students. Keep your chin up! This is a good sign!! They should send you a supplemental and then after that you will hear about interviews through an official email
Thanks!! You've been so helpful! I spoke with him this morning and he said my app went in for review today, so now I wait. I waited all day for an email. The wating game begins lol so nervous!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my interview invite and scheduled the date, any advise or tips for the Interview. What was novas interview like? So excited! @QtSami1 @turtle2020

Last edited:
Congrats! did Juan say if there were any more interview dates after March 9th? or is that the last one?
He said that was the next one, not the last so I do assume there are more, and I assume because people will leave for other schools all the way up until April 1st when that last deposit is due (maybe even April 15 because of the deadline for secondaries) they will be interviewing more, are you applying there too?

Last edited:
He said that was the next one, not the last so I do assume there are more, and I assume because people will leave for other schools all the way up until April 1st when that last deposit is due (maybe even April 15 because of the deadline for secondaries) they will be interviewing more, are you applying there too?

how'd the interview go? Yeah I'm hoping to get an interview from NOVA. I just re-took my OAT today and got 350/360TS but I just asked ADA staff and they said it would take 2-3 weeks for new scores to get to them...Most other schools have responded to me or offered interviews since I applied a while ago, but I think for NOVA it'd be too late considering 2-3 weeks would be putting it at around April 1st and that's when deposits are due right? So slim chance there...

how'd the interview go? Yeah I'm hoping to get an interview from NOVA. I just re-took my OAT today and got 350/360TS but I just asked ADA staff and they said it would take 2-3 weeks for new scores to get to them...Most other schools have responded to me or offered interviews since I applied a while ago, but I think for NOVA it'd be too late considering 2-3 weeks would be putting it at around April 1st and that's when deposits are due right? So slim chance there...
Yeah deposits are due on April 1st so it may be tough but I guess if your ok with spending the money to apply you could go for it.

Last edited:
Please apply! As long as you update your OAT scores in Optomcas, NSUCO will go by that and of course be able to confirm the scores when your score report reaches them. You have the same scores as me, so don't be discouraged. Nova gets back to applicants pretty quick; they don't like to make us wait either. If you want to go to Nova or at least see what they have to offer, I really recommend going for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
update, I was "accepted" (they called and told me I was accepted) but placed on high hold. I was curious if anyone knew the difference between high hold and a wait list? if you are placed on a waitlist do they tell you that you are accepted ahead of time like they did me? hopefully I still have a chance with the hope that seats will still shift a bit. do people still tend to be making decisions this late?

update, I was "accepted" (they called and told me I was accepted) but placed on high hold. I was curious if anyone knew the difference between high hold and a wait list? if you are placed on a waitlist do they tell you that you are accepted ahead of time like they did me? hopefully I still have a chance with the hope that seats will still shift a bit. do people still tend to be making decisions this late?
So deposits are due April 1- I'm assuming that if some people don't pay up then (last year about 10 people didn't pay the day of) then you'll have a really good chance at getting a seat in the class. High hold prob means that you would have been given a seat if you applied earlier but since the class is already full they can't do much except wait for people to drop seats.

So deposits are due April 1- I'm assuming that if some people don't pay up then (last year about 10 people didn't pay the day of) then you'll have a really good chance at getting a seat in the class. High hold prob means that you would have been given a seat if you applied earlier but since the class is already full they can't do much except wait for people to drop seats.
Wow 10 dropped the day of?? That's a lot I feel like, but good news for me I suppose :) thank you!

Congrats! Yeah it's probably safe to assume some people have applied to both optometry and med school and are waiting to hear on other acceptances that will free up some spots. Or people could still be deciding between schools and holding a spot at each

Congrats! Yeah it's probably safe to assume some people have applied to both optometry and med school and are waiting to hear on other acceptances that will free up some spots. Or people could still be deciding between schools and holding a spot at each
Thank you! I was under the impression that there weren't many people on the high hold list. When I called before my interview they said they hadn't begun making a waitlist yet so I'm hoping in not very far down =] appreciate everyone's help thus far

Please apply! As long as you update your OAT scores in Optomcas, NSUCO will go by that and of course be able to confirm the scores when your score report reaches them. You have the same scores as me, so don't be discouraged. Nova gets back to applicants pretty quick; they don't like to make us wait either. If you want to go to Nova or at least see what they have to offer, I really recommend going for it.

https://blogs.nova.edu/bacigalu/2016/03/30/only-2-days-left-until-the-admissions-deadline/

BTW it looks like they are already done the process. I wonder why they call it "admissions deadline" instead of "acceptance deadline", and why they even allow OPTOMCAS applications to go through til April 1st if what they mean is that you have until April 1st to accept your spot, and til April 15th to even do supplemental. Probably to rake in that free $$ from unsuspecting people. So there is no way that dude ever had a chance actually at that point that you told him to try anyways.

https://blogs.nova.edu/bacigalu/2016/03/30/only-2-days-left-until-the-admissions-deadline/

BTW it looks like they are already done the process. I wonder why they call it "admissions deadline" instead of "acceptance deadline", and why they even allow OPTOMCAS applications to go through til April 1st if what they mean is that you have until April 1st to accept your spot, and til April 15th to even do supplemental. Probably to rake in that free $$ from unsuspecting people. So there is no way that dude ever had a chance actually at that point that you told him to try anyways.

They aren't "done". The final deadline is April 1. Whether or not the applicant chooses to apply early enough to beat the waitlist is their responsibility. The common tip everyone is given is APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE (if you are in a position to). All the schools have been making waitlists the past few months with deadlines a few months or so later. Some of the other schools have deadlines in MAY and JUNE. Like others say, classes keep changing up until August because people get off waitlists and that trickles down. My two best friends didn't get off the wait list for SCCO until July of last year, leaving two new seats at their previous institution for other waitlisters. Dr B even writes he expects 10 people to drop their seats this very Friday. Calm down, you really seem like you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Also I told the poster that on 3/13. Nova turnaround time is a day or so. I got my interview the day after I submitted my application. Plus, Nova had interviews this week. Poster could have totally made it. Don't be so negative :)

Also I told the poster that on 3/13. Nova turnaround time is a day or so. I got my interview the day after I submitted my application. Plus, Nova had interviews this week. Poster could have totally made it. Don't be so negative :)

Hey guys I finally got my acceptance! I'm so excited to start! Thank you so much to everyone for thier advice! Can someone please point me in the right direction for the Facebook page and if anyone has already purchased thier iPad or knows what model is suggested, any info on that will be appreciated!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I finally got my acceptance! I'm so excited to start! Thank you so much to everyone for thier advice! Can someone please point me in the right direction for the Facebook page and if anyone has already purchased thier iPad or knows what model is suggested, any info on that will be appreciated!

Congratulations!

Juan will email you the facebook group! Congrats :) Yay!
I'm going to get 128GB... that's what everyone recommends for memory and then size is up to you haha

Congrats!!

Unfortunately I didn't get an interview, and they are probably done by now, oh well. Have fun next year guys. :clap:

Congrats!!

Unfortunately I didn't get an interview, and they are probably done by now, oh well. Have fun next year guys. :clap:
Im sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you next year. Im sure you will get in =]

Hi,

I need your help. I am a junior at one of the best state school. My GPA is 3.1 and my OAT score AA 310 and 300. I am planning to take OAT again. I am active committee member in optometry club and other clubs. I have worked in research company, did 50hrs volunteer work at children's hospital, 15hrs followed 2 optometrists.

I am planning to take OAT 2nd time in this July and I am thinking I will get 330 score.

My question is should I apply in July 2016 for next year or take a gap year and work at optometrist office and get experience?

I want to apply this July but if I do not get in then would it look bad if I apply in 2017 July?

Do you think I can get in optometry school in USA without taking gap year?

I personally do think you can get in but even if you apply in July you can work at an office until school begins in August and you can update your OptomCas application along the way. Just stay in touch with admissions about stuff like that. Even just putting that you currently are working with an optometrist and racking up the hours looks good, but youd be surprised, as was I, to find that a fair number of applicants may not have the shadowing hours you think they may, some don't have any at all! But my advice is to really study for your OAT, try to get a 330-340, the destroyer and achiever were amazing resources for me and Im a bad test taker. And go ahead and apply in July, the earlier the better and that way IF there is anything wrong with your application you can keep in contact and have time to correct it and still apply in time. Remember OptomCas can take up to a month to verify. So I would say yes, apply, get your scores up and keep in contact with admissions often