What are my chances of getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeaboojones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, like some applicants here, I'm wondering if I should be freaking out about getting in or not. :confused: I hear that there are 150 or so applicants for like 25 spots. I am most interested in school down here in Florida (UF, FGCU, ETC.) So, if you have been accepted please look at my stats and let me know what my chances of getting accepted into a MOT program are:

Undergrad: Business Administration 3.5 degree GPA
Total Cumlative GPA (181 hrs) 3.22
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.81
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
Volunteer/observation: 150+ hours pediatric home health, 45 hours autistic pre-school
history/background: Mother to a wonderful little autistic boy. Also, I have a teaching background as I have been a substitute elementary teacher for about 5 years or so.

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have a good chance! Get out there and apply to them. Chin up :)

OT schools have become very competitive. And I am sorry to tell you the odds are actually significantly worse than you listed. The school I got into had over 300 applicants for 27 spots. One of the schools I didn't get into had 600 applicants for about the same number of seats. I feel lucky to have gotten into a program that seems like a great fit in a city I am excited about living in. Many folks here have not been as lucky and have had to apply for more than one year. Knowing that might scare you more or give you comfort knowing this is the worse case scenario and if it happens you are not alone.

A good way to gauge your odds would be to look at the "sticky" on the top where many people posted their stats and where they did and did not get into. I would encourage everyone reading this to list your own stats and story there, so as to be a resource for the next years applicants. That, and many schools list the average GPA of those who got in. I believe all the OTCAS schools list the average GPA's as well.

I have heard others recommend getting in contact with the specific schools you are most interested in as soon as you can and asking them what they are looking for specifically, so that you have time to do things that make you look like who they are looking for on paper....maybe by doing things like adapting your volunteer locations or retaking a class they care a lot about if you didn't get an 'A'.

I notice a lot of time when I ask for advice (especially on forums) I hear from folks who mean well but don't know much... just want to be clear that is exactly what I am doing! The truth is almost everyone here is either just about to apply or have just finished applying, meaning the don't know much more than you do...

In general this forum is terrible for trying to figure your odds... and much better for calming your nerves during the application process by keeping you up to date on which schools have started sending letters out when and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have good stats! I'm starting at UF in the fall so I can at least help you with my experience with their application process! I was nervous because my stats were fairly average (at least compared to everyone on here). From what I can tell they really seem to focus more on diversity and your essay than grades. Being a mother and your experiences with your son would definitely be a plus I'm sure! Goodluck!

OT schools have become very competitive. And I am sorry to tell you the odds are actually significantly worse than you listed. The school I got into had over 300 applicants for 27 spots. One of the schools I didn't get into had 600 applicants for about the same number of seats. I feel lucky to have gotten into a program that seems like a great fit in a city I am excited about living in. Many folks here have not been as lucky and have had to apply for more than one year. Knowing that might scare you more or give you comfort knowing this is the worse case scenario and if it happens you are not alone.

A good way to gauge your odds would be to look at the "sticky" on the top where many people posted their stats and where they did and did not get into. I would encourage everyone reading this to list your own stats and story there, so as to be a resource for the next years applicants. That, and many schools list the average GPA of those who got in. I believe all the OTCAS schools list the average GPA's as well.

I have heard others recommend getting in contact with the specific schools you are most interested in as soon as you can and asking them what they are looking for specifically, so that you have time to do things that make you look like who they are looking for on paper....maybe by doing things like adapting your volunteer locations or retaking a class they care a lot about if you didn't get an 'A'.

I notice a lot of time when I ask for advice (especially on forums) I hear from folks who mean well but don't know much... just want to be clear that is exactly what I am doing! The truth is almost everyone here is either just about to apply or have just finished applying, meaning the don't know much more than you do...

In general this forum is terrible for trying to figure your odds... and much better for calming your nerves during the application process by keeping you up to date on which schools have started sending letters out when and such.

They are soooo competitive! My friend has been rejected by 9 schools and has good scores. I'm so lucky to get into the MOT and into it NOW it seems it's going to only get more competitive over time.