What are my chances of getting in to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiobrisket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying fall 2016. I have yet to take the GRE but I am planning on taking it sometime over the summer. I have job shadowed five separate veterinarians and documented what surgery I witnessed and when.

My hours are:
volunteer at animal shelter: 70
volunteer at equine center: 65
sheep experience: 60
working at a vet clinic in a kennel: 650
employment in an animal science laboratory: 94.5
I'm not sure on the exact hours of veterinary experience. A lot of them will come from my current job.

I am currently employed as a veterinary assistant. My research project should begin this summer (which will give me research experience and more hours in the animal science lab). I want to get my volunteer hours up. I'd also like to job shadow a corporate vet and a shelter medicine vet. I have experience with research vets and private practice vets. I'm hoping to get an internship next summer with a zoo.I am also secretary of the pre-vet club for the year coming up. My cumulative GPA is a 3.0 but I hope to get that up to a 3.5 when I go into the fall 2015 semester. I will graduate in spring 2016.

My concerns are that It's taken me 6 years to get my bachelors. I attended a community college for three years and received an associate of arts and an associate of science. I have been at the university ever since. I didn't 100% know that I wanted to pursue a DVM degree until this year.

There is not a vet school in my home state, I will be applying to:
Wisconsin, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tufts, Colorado, Oregon, Michigan, Kansas

My questions are:
How do you think I could improve my chances over the next year?
Will I be penalized for taking 6 years to get a bachelors?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you think I could improve my chances over the next year?
Work hard to get your GPA up. If you have been in school for 5 years, you probably have a lot of credits that are contributing to your current GPA. It will be hard to bring your GPA up to a 3.5 with only 1 year of college credits, even if you get all 4.0's. Get 4.0's to bring you GPA up as much as you can. Keep getting veterinary experience, and try to diversify your experience by shadowing a large animal vet, exotics vet, etc.
Will I be penalized for taking 6 years to get a bachelors?
Nope.

Reactions: 1 users