What are my chances of getting into an MFT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkkhb

Psy4me
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who didn't get into CALIFORNIA MFT programs, what do you think was the reason why you didn't get in? I'm trying to figure out which Cali schools I should realistically apply to. My only stipulation is that I don't want to apply to a school that requires me to take the GRE-I find it to be tedious, I haven't studied yet, and I really don't want to take it if I don't need it to get into a good MFT program.

My academic background: I have a 4.0 cumulative GPA with 2 years experience as a research assistant to 2 different psy professors and also did an independent research study with a psy professor, but when I graduated I realized I did not want to focus on research. I then did some research on MFT/Psy.d programs and it seemed like it would be beneficial to gain some clinical experience, so I am now working 1:1 with a child with special needs and am also shadowing assessments and group therapy sessions at a domestic violence center. Am I really not making a good decision by not taking the GRE and not applying to schools that require GRE scores?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who didn't get into CALIFORNIA MFT programs, what do you think was the reason why you didn't get in? I'm trying to figure out which Cali schools I should realistically apply to. My only stipulation is that I don't want to apply to a school that requires me to take the GRE-I find it to be tedious, I haven't studied yet, and I really don't want to take it if I don't need it to get into a good MFT program.

My academic background: I have a 4.0 cumulative GPA with 2 years experience as a research assistant to 2 different psy professors and also did an independent research study with a psy professor, but when I graduated I realized I did not want to focus on research. I then did some research on MFT/Psy.d programs and it seemed like it would be beneficial to gain some clinical experience, so I am now working 1:1 with a child with special needs and am also shadowing assessments and group therapy sessions at a domestic violence center. Am I really not making a good decision by not taking the GRE and not applying to schools that require GRE scores?

I personally think taking the GRE would be a good idea. Its not a terribly hard test.