What are my chances of getting into any US and/or Caribbean Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnBendedKnee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on the stellar pre-req GPA, that is going to be a huge bonus in your application. Your ECs are very good (as is typical for many non-trads, which is another bonus). With your pre-reqs out of the way, where does your cGPA stand? (~3.3?)

Let me be the first (and I'm sure I won't be the last) to advise against pursuing a Caribbean school. You run the risk of accumulating a massive debt and likely ending up without a US residency.

Instead, I suggest retaking the MCAT (shoot for a 30+) and simply applying broadly to MD/DO schools. I think with your ECs, a 3.3 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, and 30+ MCAT you will likely have a successful application cycle.

aSagacious, I am so grateful for your positive feedback. Your confidence in me means so much, especially as a 30 yr. old career changer. It was really scary for me to leave my teaching career, but people like you make me believe that I can really do it!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the stellar pre-req GPA, that is going to be a huge bonus in your application. Your ECs are very good (as is typical for many non-trads, which is another bonus). With your pre-reqs out of the way, where does your cGPA stand? (~3.3?)

Let me be the first (and I'm sure I won't be the last) to advise against pursuing a Caribbean school. You run the risk of accumulating a massive debt and likely ending up without a US residency.

Instead, I suggest retaking the MCAT (shoot for a 30+) and simply applying broadly to MD/DO schools. I think with your ECs, a 3.3 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, and 30+ MCAT you will likely have a successful application cycle.
One more thing, aSagacious, why would I accrue so much debt from St. George's? Can't I get federal loans for SGU? I heard if I did well on Step 1, I would get a US residency no problem. My friend went to AUA and he's now a surgeon in South Carolina. I'm so confused I could throw up and cry all at the same time!!

you can definitely do it. You could apply to DO schools now with your current MCAT score, I think you have a shot but it might be taking a risk. If you could do better on your MCAT I would say to retake it, then you would have no reason to not get in somewhere. Apply broadly but (in my opinion) don't go to the Caribbean.. Good luck!!!:)

Thank you, tlo100!! I am so happy I found this site. You are all so kind!

you can definitely do it. You could apply to DO schools now with your current MCAT score, I think you have a shot but it might be taking a risk. If you could do better on your MCAT I would say to retake it, then you would have no reason to not get in somewhere. Apply broadly but (in my opinion) don't go to the Caribbean.. Good luck!!!:)

This. And Sagacious's post pretty much as well concerning the Caribbean. Residencies are already hard enough to get into. Only the top of the top at Caribs get into U.S. residency programs. You could very well, even with a 25 MCAT, get into a DO school based off your sGPA, LoRs, ECs, etc. Good Luck!

Thank you, PressPforPi! It's so scary when you've put all of your eggs in one basket!!

...why would I accrue so much debt from St. George's? Can't I get federal loans for SGU?
Loans are not free money, they need to be paid back (plus interest), thus... debt.

I heard if I did well on Step 1, I would get a US residency no problem. My friend went to AUA and he's now a surgeon in South Carolina.
The Caribbean schools thrive off of anecdotes such as these. There will always be individuals who succeed despite their circumstances, but the statistics overwhelmingly dictate that Caribbean grads struggle to find any (let alone competitive) US residencies.

Again, I would only treat the Carribeans as a last resort. You are by no means out of the running yet for a MD/DO acceptance. Just visit the MCAT forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=31), develop a solid study plan, and kill it on your retake.

Good Luck!