What are my Chances of Getting into medical school with a low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prowd2beloud147

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody, thank you for taking the time to read my post. Through the responses I am hoping to gain insightful information on my application logistics along with hearing similar stories and outcomes.

Overall GPA: 2.8
Science GPA: 2.5
MCAT: practice tests: 32...still studying and aiming for at least a 34 (plan to take it in July)

I am currently a 5th year junior in college. My first four years I went to an Ivy league school, but was hospitalized many times from an illness, which had a major impact in my gpa leading to many W and in-completes on my transcript. I moved back home and am now commuting to a near by university with a very strong gpa my junior year (3.7 overall and 3.5 science). I plan on getting as close to a 4 point in the remaining summer term and my senior year (which consists of 18-20 credit hours each). I have strong LOR and EC's and have completed most of my pre-med requirements, some of them retaken, due to my situation at my old school.

In short, I was hoping if anyone has any words of encouragement or realistic opinions on my situation. I so badly want to matriculate into medical school fall of 2013 and am willing to do anything it takes.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everybody, thank you for taking the time to read my post. Through the responses I am hoping to gain insightful information on my application logistics along with hearing similar stories and outcomes.

Overall GPA: 2.8
Science GPA: 2.5
MCAT: practice tests: 32...still studying and aiming for at least a 34 (plan to take it in July)

I am currently a 5th year junior in college. My first four years I went to an Ivy league school, but was hospitalized many times from an illness, which had a major impact in my gpa leading to many W and in-completes on my transcript. I moved back home and am now commuting to a near by university with a very strong gpa my junior year (3.7 overall and 3.5 science). I plan on getting as close to a 4 point in the remaining summer term and my senior year (which consists of 18-20 credit hours each). I have strong LOR and EC's and have completed most of my pre-med requirements, some of them retaken, due to my situation at my old school.

In short, I was hoping if anyone has any words of encouragement or realistic opinions on my situation. I so badly want to matriculate into medical school fall of 2013 and am willing to do anything it takes.

0% chance for MD.
0% chance for DO.

Do some post-baccs for 2+ years then come back.
Regardless of MCAT, that GPA is far too low.
I do recognize the hard work you have been putting into your journey to med school.
If you have a copious amounts of F's from that illness you stated, see if you can get retroactive W's to replace it.
Doing so can negate that low GPA to average up higher. Then all you need to do is retake those classes and get A's.

Members don't see this ad :)
0% chance for MD.
0% chance for DO.

I do recognize the hard work you have been putting into your journey to med school.
If you have a copious amounts of F's from that illness you stated, see if you can get retroactive W's to replace it.
Doing so can negate that low GPA to average up higher. Then all you need to do is retake those classes and get A's.
+1 solid advice and I concur with his chances being zero.

0% chance for MD.
0% chance for DO.

Thanks for the honest opinion...a little pessimistic don't you think?

Thanks for the honest opinion...a little pessimistic don't you think?

not at all.

i'm always supportive and optimistic for non-trads with lower GPA's (i was one myself, and have been accepted this cycle as a first time applicant) but this GPA (and even lower sGPA) is indeed too low.

since you said you really want to get in next cycle (not happening), at most you are willing to take a year off. at best, you can only bring your GPA to a 3.0ish (with really heavy course schedules), so you should elaborate on what your strong EC's are. most people always say they have strong EC's but as a non-trad with a low GPA (and you're shooting for a modest MCAT) you really need out of this world EC's to make up for it.

the best course of action however is to take more time off as the above posters have said to really pull that GPA up.

also, even if you were applying this cycle, planning to take your MCAT in july would be a bad idea.

Im new to SDN so I haven't figured out how to delete a message so I am editing it like this lol

Last edited:
Very insightful. Unfortunately this really isn't anything I don't already know :eek:

I am very happy happy to hear that you are in medical school working your way up to your dream. You seem very realistic and I hope the best for you!!!!! In my personal statement I am really trying to show how my grades managed to drop the way they did and maybe mention that because of my lack of maturity at the time, I didn't take charge right away and let this obstacle play a major hand in the life outcome!

My EC's

-3 years years for Fibromyalgia under the Dr. who put Lyrica on the map

-1 year shadowing of an MD

-currently 20 hours a week volunteering to take care of a sick member of my church...(ordering/picking up scripts, changing sheets, just passing time with them)

-working full time to pay off medical debts

all while being a full time student and preparing for mcats. I know this seems like a lot to do, but my prior gpa is is truely based off of extreme circumstances and I am very capable of such a work load.

My Plan To a Life as an MD-

1. Apply to around 30 medical school as a disadvantaged applicant (No member of my family attended college and my parents did not even finish highschool...they were immigrants who couldn't speak english during most of my childhood).
2. If I do not get accepted...pray that Wayne State, MSU, or OSU offer me an application into the their disadvantaged student program (a one year program, and with successful completion they go on to their medical school)
3. If steps 1-2 fail, apply to any post bac that offer direct linkage into medical school
4. If step 3 fails, apply to another post bac and get as close to a 4.0 as possible

***I am 22 years old and optimally would like to start medical school at 24, but doing step 2 or 3 would allow me to start at 25. I would really like to avoid step four, leaving me with a glide year and causing matriculation at 26 (graduation at 30).

You said you have retaken classes? What is your gpa when you replace the bad grades. DO schools allow for grade replacement as long as it is the same class and credits (or more). Figure out what your gpa is with these retakes. Also exactly how many credits do you have left. Your only chance at all for any med school is to retake the classes that you did bad in, hope that it raises enough, do awesome on the mcat, and apply DO. Your upward trend is very good, but your numbers are so low that no human will ever look at your application (as it is). You basically don't have a chance for MD.

EDIT: Didn't see your other thread.

As I said in your other thread, your chances of MD are 0%. Maybe if you put 7 years into raising your GPA. As it is now, there is absolutely no way you will get accepted to MD schools. Nor DO schools. These people are giving good advice, but it isn't what you want to hear. Sorry. Med school is very competitive.

Are you interested in DO? It's nearly the same as an MD.
At this point you should not be thinking about the prestige of an MD, but the quality of education you can get from a DO schools if you really want to be a physician.
Granted you do exceptionally well in the boards at the DO school (provided you do some GPA repair to get in) you can still match a competitive residency.
The research EC is very good too.
That would def come up in an interview and if you can talk about it with great interest, that could work to your case.

Seriously, save yourself the time and money and do post-bac work for a couple of years. Use DO grade replacement until your GPA is ~3.3. It is so competitive that you won't stand a chance no matter what. You will have more time to boost your EC's even more and study more for the MCAT. You can definately do it, but its going to take some time...I know from experience.

Very insightful. Unfortunately this really isn't anything I don't already know :eek:

I am very happy happy to hear that you are in medical school working your way up to your dream. You seem very realistic and I hope the best for you!!!!! In my personal statement I am really trying to show how my grades managed to drop the way they did and maybe mention that because of my lack of maturity at the time, I didn't take charge right away and let this obstacle play a major hand in the life outcome!

My EC's

-3 years years for Fibromyalgia under the Dr. who put Lyrica on the map

-1 year shadowing of an MD

-currently 20 hours a week volunteering to take care of a sick member of my church...(ordering/picking up scripts, changing sheets, just passing time with them)

-working full time to pay off medical debts

all while being a full time student and preparing for mcats. I know this seems like a lot to do, but my prior gpa is is truely based off of extreme circumstances and I am very capable of such a work load.

My Plan To a Life as an MD-

1. Apply to around 30 medical school as a disadvantaged applicant (No member of my family attended college and my parents did not even finish highschool...they were immigrants who couldn't speak english during most of my childhood).
2. If I do not get accepted...pray that Wayne State, MSU, or OSU offer me an application into the their disadvantaged student program (a one year program, and with successful completion they go on to their medical school)
3. If steps 1-2 fail, apply to any post bac that offer direct linkage into medical school
4. If step 3 fails, apply to another post bac and get as close to a 4.0 as possible

***I am 22 years old and optimally would like to start medical school at 24, but doing step 2 or 3 would allow me to start at 25. I would really like to avoid step four, leaving me with a glide year and causing matriculation at 26 (graduation at 30).

i'm sure adcoms will appreciate the obstacles you've had to overcome but the bolded statement is just intention and ambition at the moment - you have nothing tangible to back it up. you can take a few years off to do more coursework (and get a great GPA) to demonstrate the bolded statement, and i'm sure you will do well in applying.

Thanks for all the posts guys!!!

If I were to go by DO standards, including retakes...my gpa is a 3.3 and science 3.1, which isn't too bad I think.

I know it's unlikely, but do you think DO's can specialize in something like dermatology or ophthalmology?

If I were to go by DO standards, including retakes...my gpa is a 3.3 and science 3.1, which isn't too bad I think.

I know it's unlikely, but do you think DO's can specialize in something like dermatology or ophthalmology?

Yes. DO's can specialize in anything. Derm and Optho are pretty competitive specialties to begin with, so it would be difficult even coming from an allopathic school, however we have our own AOA residencies in addition to being able to go out for the ACGME ones, so if you are a good student, you have a shot at anything.

Your numbers are on the low end, but but with these, and a decent MCAT score (high 20s minimum), you should be able to wrangle some interviews.

Yes. DO's can specialize in anything. Derm and Optho are pretty competitive specialties to begin with, so it would be difficult even coming from an allopathic school, however we have our own AOA residencies in addition to being able to go out for the ACGME ones, so if you are a good student, you have a shot at anything.
Can D.O.'s specialize in orthopedics?