what are my chances of getting into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UT8305

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I kinda have my back pushed up against a wall right now, i'm going to be a senior and going in with a gpa of 3.16, not including the summer courses that i took which i got all A's in so it should be higher, but its just not calculated into my school gpa because i did it at other colleges. I'm just trying to get something clear, you see my whole family is full of doctors and lawyers and they all did very well in their undergrad and went to great schools and are very successful, and here I'm siting with a flimsy 3.16 overall and a 3.28 science gpa (bio, chem, physics and ochem) and they look at me as is I have no future and it kills me inside and my worst fear is proving them right. I got a 55 on the pcat the first time but I'm taking it again this upcoming june and my preparation is going fine, I already applied to 4 non pcat schools last year for fall 2008 because i have good volunteer work and other extracurriculars, but it didn't work out and that just furthur proves them right, now i'm even more shook, I took it as a tragedy. Is there any schools I can go to or would accept me, I'm doing a patient care technition program in the upcoming semester as well as taking 18 credits, and I will recieve of certifications and experience, I'm only doing it to show schools how serious i'm about it, but now i'm kinda getting desprite because mydad works really hard to put me through school and i don't want to dissapoint him. Any suggestions on schools that are worth applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this fits in the PCAT forum but...

I think you have a chance but the thing with PCAT is, you need a really really good PCAT score to off set that less than average GPA. I personally don't ever take too much hours because I know I wouldn't do well in them. I usually go 13-14 hours and then take 1 class in summer so i'll still graduate on time. Its better to DO IT RIGHT than to do it quick. If you have some really good recommdenations, a superb PCAT score i'm sure you have a chance. It does depends on the school you're trying to apply for, there are some schools that looks for PCAT more than GPA so you can look into those schools.

First off, your GPA is not that bad. "Some" people have been let in with worse. Finishing your degree is a good idea.

The PCAT is not intended to be some test that you regurgitate all the information you have learned in school. It's meant to test to see how well you are able to remember important ideas from school. Some schools dont even require the PCAT because of it's inability to really prove is someone is actually a good candidate. That is why they look at EVERYTHING. If your GPA is low, make every other aspect of YOU look attractive to them. I think you have a good shot! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Merged threads from pre-pharm and PCAT forums. Please don't post duplicate threads in the forums. Keeps it cleaner and easier for everyone to read!

You are taking the right steps to improve your application. Keep doing well in your classes and get that score up on your PCAT. You still have time to take it again if you need to in August or October. Getting experience will help show adcoms you are serious about pharmacy. I also found this website to be really helpful for learning about pharmacy. If you're weak in interviewing skills, practice. Keep your head up! You can do this if you just push through!

Do what you have to do instead of worrying how your family will perceive your success. Family is a stressor that can work against you.

I would focus on those non-PCAT schools and in-state schools first though you should leave open the possibility of applying to PCAT schools if you can get your score above 80. 70 is the realistic minimum given your GPA.

Your stats don't make it impossible to get accepted. You just have to work more diligently than before and continue to bolster your application with pharmacy experience and ecs.

hey sorry for posting this twice, it was orginally meant for the pre-pharm forum and i accidentely posted it in the pcat forum, sorry i'm newbe won't happen again

Your GPA is fine as long as you smash the PCAT. I know someone who got in with a 2.8ish science GPA and 3.2ish overall, but a 95 PCAT.

Also, APPLY EARLY. We're talking have your stuff in THE DAY their admissions cycle begins. This is especially true for schools with rolling admissions.

would i have to get my LOR's in by the time the rolling admission starts, i'm having trouble with that because my school or do i just need to send the application and i can send the LOR's later on, if I send them all my transcripts, PS, and everything else, because i still need to get into contact with some of the professors i want to write LOR for me, if the admissions cycle starts in august and i get in the LOR by october, would that still be okay for adcoms or would they not consider looking until all of my LOR's are in?

If you don't turn in your LORs together with your application, your application may be considered incomplete and the adcom will not evaluate the application until you have submitted your LORs.