what are my chances of getting into vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmmcfatter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive applied to lsu vet school the past two years and was rejected without an interview. My gpa is 3.3. I was thinking of applying to mississippi state university this year. I've taken classes to help raise my gpa. Do i have a chance of getting in on the third try? Has anyone had similar situations? I need some advice

Members don't see this ad.

Have you done any file reviews or thought about applying to a larger number of schools? Having just your GPA doesn't tell us a whole lot of about what type of applicant you are. If you are willing to provide more info, we can possibly be a little more helpful. We also have a specific thread for advice on this.

I would definitely do a file review if you haven't already. And it is definitely possible to get in on your 3rd try. I know people who are vets now and it took them several cycles. It took my two personally.

Last edited:
There are a lot of other threads already with similar questions...

Buuuut, I will tell you now that my GPA is 3.18 , and I got in on my 4th application cycle. Don't give up. Ask LSU for a file review, and follow their suggestions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
LSU is very focused on numbers for admissions, so I think that you will need to significantly raise your gpa if you want a good shot. What was your gpa and what have you taken to try to fix it?

Does LSU do rejection interviews? (forget the official name but they will review your file and give you suggestions for improvement).

Have you looked into out of state schools? You might have a better shot somewhere like Western that looks at applicants with lower gpas if they have cool and meaningful experiences.

Im sorry i did leave out a good bit of information. I did a folder review after my first rejection at lsu and was told i need a 3.9 gpa. Thats when i syarted looking into ms state. Their gpa requirement is lower. So far to improvey gpa ive taken genetic organic chem 2 organic lab and technical writing

Im sorry i did leave out a good bit of information. I did a folder review after my first rejection at lsu and was told i need a 3.9 gpa. Thats when i syarted looking into ms state. Their gpa requirement is lower. So far to improvey gpa ive taken genetic organic chem 2 organic lab and technical writing

I'd be shocked if LSU actually told you that you needed a 3.9 GPA! :confused: I was accepted as an OOS student there with a lower GPA than that, as have many others (both in-state and out-of-state). I think there must be some sort of misunderstanding.

Maybe focus on getting a good GRE score and really good experience? GRE especially can help balance out a lower GPA and great experience can make you a stronger applicant too.

Perhaps they meant "you need a 3.9 from now on"?

Still, that sounds a little ridiculous.

What are your strengths? There are other schools that place a greater value on your veterinary hours. How many practices have you volunteered/shadowed at? What was your GRE? There's many factors in play besides your GPA alone.

I'd be shocked if LSU actually told you that you needed a 3.9 GPA! :confused: I was accepted as an OOS student there with a lower GPA than that, as have many others (both in-state and out-of-state). I think there must be some sort of misunderstanding.

Them telling you 3.9, could have to do with your other stats. If you GRE is very low or you don't have any hours, they may be telling you that based on a sliding scale so to speak. I got into LSU this year with a 3.6 so my assumption is based on the other aspects of your application.

My gre that year was a lil low. Ive picked that up for sure but i was def told i needed to raise my gpa to a 3.9 which is why i decided to apply to ms state but yall have been so helpful and encouraging. Thanks for the advice

Are you IS or OOS for LSU?

You should definitely share with us your GRE score and actual veterinary/animal experience hours if you'd like some helpful hints.

Just "yeah it was a little low, but I've raised it" doesn't really tell us anything. :)

Just to throw in my experience: I had a 3.9 for the pre-req courses and a 3.75 general GPA as calculated by LSU and I was waitlisted without an interview for OOS. I later withdrew myself from the waitlist, so no way to know if I would have been called off. I just wanted to chime in to second what people said above that it's not just GPA that LSU (or any school) looks at, it is usually a composite of things that factor into admissions.
My GRE scores are also low so I would advise that you re-take it. I was going to if I didn't get in this year. And I would definitely apply to more than just LSU, unless that is your IS and you're unwilling to pay more to go OOS. Tuskegee would be another option in the same region.

Just to throw in my experience: I had a 3.9 for the pre-req courses and a 3.75 general GPA as calculated by LSU and I was waitlisted without an interview for OOS. I later withdrew myself from the waitlist, so no way to know if I would have been called off. I just wanted to chime in to second what people said above that it's not just GPA that LSU (or any school) looks at, it is usually a composite of things that factor into admissions.

For comparison I had a 3.6 cum and 3.80 pre req and I was called off th WL... so you most likely would have been too. I guess you really never know in the world of vet school admissions, but I'd be willing to gamble lol. Not sure what the rest of your app was like, but just thought I'd throw that out there for the OP.

For comparison I had a 3.6 cum and 3.80 pre req and I was called off th WL... so you most likely would have been too. I guess you really never know in the world of vet school admissions, but I'd be willing to gamble lol. Not sure what the rest of your app was like, but just thought I'd throw that out there for the OP.

I've seen your stats, you're a rock star :)
I was just an average applicant but VERY lucky.

I've seen your stats, you're a rock star :)
I was just an average applicant but VERY lucky.

I don't know about all that but thanks :oops:

I'd say your GPA puts you up in rockstar status! :cool: I was rather impressed with your extra non-trad path to vet school. I think the adcoms love to see people conquer adversity.

It's nice to know we are entering into diverse classes! :thumbup:

I'd say your GPA puts you up in rockstar status! :cool: I was rather impressed with your extra non-trad path to vet school. I think the adcoms love to see people conquer adversity.

It's nice to know we are entering into diverse classes! :thumbup:
Aww, thanks.
Yeah, I think my past played a big role in VMRCVM's decision.
Not to say I didn't work hard to get where I am, but there was definitely an element of luck involved-lots of right place at the right time kind of stuff.

My GRE scores are also low so I would advise that you re-take it. I was going to if I didn't get in this year. And I would definitely apply to more than just LSU, unless that is your IS and you're unwilling to pay more to go OOS. Tuskegee would be another option in the same region.

Definitely more than just GPA. But if you look at the VMSAR, you will see that the incoming (or accepted, forget which they list) gpa is high compared to other schools. The IS acceptance rate is really high too. I want to say around 50%?